Help save Mrs. Ram Cichlid!

1. Gena Well Known Member Member

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1466714222.398659.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1466714236.121609.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1466714260.898838.jpg

No parameters ATM, I need emergency help.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

oh no. not mrs ram? I've missed the reality show.

how long has this been going on?

3. Gena Well Known Member Member

I am sorry that I honestly cannot get better pictures of her. The val in the tank has taken over and she goes in hiding. The other fish in the tank are healthy and have vibrant colors. Mr. Ram Cichlid is extremely healthy and has gorgeous colors. On one side of Mrs. Ram Cichlid it's her normal gorgeous colors and on the other it's colorless and there is a wound(?). She has constantly been injured in the past(she likes to scrape against things and Mr. Ram Cichlid was not a kind spouse in the past) and heals just fine. My tank has been on a black out for several days because of algae problems, and she was hiding in the val so I didn't notice.

4. Gena Well Known Member Member

It started two weeks ago with a regular wound and I wasn't too worried about it but one massive blackout later, she's on death's door. Mr. Ram Cichlid hasn't been a jerk to her in a few months too, so that's a positive.

5. Gena Well Known Member Member

Maybe she's always been sick and is now showing it? She's had some failure to thrive issues. Mr. Ram Cichlid has tripled in size since I got him in April 2015 but she never grew. Despite having a normal appetite. (But she's wasn't a greedy piggy like Mr. Ram Cichlid.)

6. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Do you have a hospital tank?

I know this doesn't really help but I had a similar situation with my sunset gourami's. I had 2 females and a male that lived peacefully together for nearly a year. Then I did a blackout for 2 or 3 days and when I took the cover off, one female gourami had been severely injured and the male looked stressed. The next day the female succumbed to the injury and then I caught the other female straight up killing the male. I ended up rehoming the homicidal maniac because I was concerned the aggression would spread

7. Geoff Well Known Member Member

So sorry to hear this! And hello, stranger!

8. Gena Well Known Member Member

I do not have a hospital tank.

9. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

I would treat with melafix. There are others much more educated on treatment than me though

10. Gena Well Known Member Member

K, I dosed Melafix. If it's working, when should I see results?

My tank is SO overgrown with val, it's crowded itself out at this point. This is a great hinderance to finding fish that do not want to be found.. Also it's a convenient place for Mr. Ram Cichlid to hide guppy bodies, thus enabling his homicidal behavior.

11. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Hi! Sorry to hear about Mrs. Ram Cichlid. I've missed hearing about them and sad to know she's not doing well. I really can't help but hoping she recovers soon!

12. Gena Well Known Member Member

Mrs. Ram Cichlid is no more. :'(

Thanks for the help and support, Fishlorians.

13. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Oh gosh I'm so sorry

14. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Very sad to hear this. Sorry for your loss. :(

15. Geoff Well Known Member Member

So sorry to see this, Gena. :(