Help - Sailfin Molly Possible Disease/Parasite

AwesomeMarioFan

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 29 gallons
How long has the tank been running? ~6 months
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? ~78 degrees F
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
- 1 Sailfin Molly
- 1 Guppy
- 15 Neon Tetras

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Weekly
How much of the water do you change? 25%
What do you use to treat your water? API Stress Coat
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Both

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? No, however I added API Quick Start into the tank and also used filters with established bacteria on them.
What do you use to test the water? API Freshwater Master Test Kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: ~15 ppm
pH: 7.6 - 8.0 (It reads about 7.6 with the API test kit and a bit higher with test strips. My water is also soft according the LFS which tested my water, which I know mollies do not like.)

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Daily
How much do you feed your fish? I put in a few small pinches of flakes in about a 5 minute time span.
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Tetra fish flakes
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Freeze-dried

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? About 2 months.
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? About a week ago.
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Lethargic, flashing against decorations in the tank, erratic breathing/swimming sometimes.
Have you started any treatment for the illness? No
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Please see above symptom list.

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

I purchased a second sailfin molly to add to my tank. The first molly started to chase the second one (since they were both males), and I believe this may have been stressing out the other molly. I noticed that it wasn't eating as much and seemed to have some fungus on it, and also was breathing heavy and sitting mostly in one spot in the tank. After posting on another forum, I got some advice to get aquarium salt to add to the water, which I did, however in the process of setting up a backup tank to put it in the fish passed away about 3 weeks after I added it to my tank. I then purchased a normal molly (not realizing that there may be a disease/parasite in the tank) and added it, and that fish also passed away only a couple of days after.

I now have noticed since then that my remaining molly and guppy seem to be flashing on the decorations in the aquarium (the molly seems to go almost horizontal, then dart at objects in the tank). The molly also seemed to be acting more lethargic and eating less, although it does seem to be more active and eating more during the past few days. It also seems to sometimes breathe or swim erratically. It will sometimes, although rarely, dart short distances in the tank, and seem to sometimes open its mouth while breathing. I am worried that there may be a disease or parasite in my tank, and I purchased some API General Cure at my local LFS, however I am unsure if I should add it to my tank or not. Do these symptoms sound like a disease/parasite? If so, what would it be and would API General Cure be a safe medicine to use to treat it? I am worried it may crash the cycle.

AwesomeMarioFan

I am bumping this thread since it wasn't visible on the forum until it was moved today.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JuDom
Replies
Views
CindiL
Replies
Views
jake37
Replies