Help Reviewing My Betta Fish Shopping List Please!

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by TheGeeko, Jun 19, 2019.

1. TheGeeko

TheGeekoNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +11
    Experience:
    Just started
    I am planning on setting up a tank for a betta fish and was wondering if I could get some feedback on the things I am interested in purchasing. You don't have to leave feedback on everything but if you know that if one of the items I want to get is not okay for a betta, please tell me!! Many thanks.

10 Gallon Aquarium (I already own a safe heater and filter. In addition, I will be planting the aquarium and have decor already.)
    Some sand in the front of the aquarium that blends into some smooth stones (not sharp)
    (I am planning on getting some ghost shrimp and nerite snails so I need a copper free suggestion if this food is not good, please!)
    Bloodworms
    (This is for the nitrogen cycle and was recommended on this site's post about it and am fairly confident that it would go well but would love to hear someone else's experience with the product! The reviews on Amazon all seem great and it seems fairly inexpensive.)
    Aquarium Conditioner
    Bio Bag and Bio Balls (My aquarium filter was second hand and all of the filter media was thrown out so I was just curious if those would be good enough to help filter and keep everything clean and help the fish thrive.)

Because I am getting the shrimp and snails, I will also be getting a TON of plants and decorations for the betta to hide in and for them too - I just didn't want to include the things that weren't specifically for the betta fish. If I forgot anything please let me know! Thanks for reading and helping me make the perfect home for my future fish.

Oh and I have a thermometer, I can't believe I forgot to add that to the list :D

2. Manan

MananValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +46
    You might have one already, but just in case, I find that a sponge is great to reduce the flow if your filter is slightly too strong... I put mine in a few days ago and my betta is way happier.
    Also, for the plants, I recommend getting some floating ones as well (or not necessarily plants, it could be a log). My betta loves his floating plant and spends a lot of time under it or pushing it around.

Good luck!

3. OP
    OP
    TheGeeko

TheGeekoNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +11
    Experience:
    Just started
    Thanks for the tip! The flow isn't too bad but I will be getting a sponge for it just to protect the betta's fins and the shrimp. I plan on getting a lot of taller plants as well but I'll see what floating ones I can find!

4. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,102
    Experience:
    2 years
    Looks like you have everything covered. The only suggestion I would make is for your water conditioner you get Prime.

5. OP
    OP
    TheGeeko

TheGeekoNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +11
    Experience:
    Just started
    Okay thanks for letting me know! That one looks great. :3

6. Betta'sAnonymous

Betta'sAnonymousWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,162
    Experience:
    4 years
    I agree on the sponge filter. Can also serve as a buffet for the snails later on! All of my bettas are much happier and more active since i switched to sponge filters several months ago

7. ap4lmtree

ap4lmtreeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +111
    Experience:
    2 years
    I feed my bettas hikari freeze dried daphnia in the morning and hikari freeze dried bloodworms at night. Hikari adds vitamins to their foods. I used to feed my bettas san fran freeze dried brine shrimp; however, i dont anymore unless it is before cleaning and a water change because leftover food of that could be a good home for dangerous bacteria to grow. I used to have ammonia and red cherry shrimp and irronically, they like eating shrimp pellets the most. I like Omega One shrimp pellets the most. In any aquarium food, in the ingredients list you can see if they use some kind of fish "meal" or mixture or if they use "whole" shrimp for instance. Shrimp also like omega one algae pellets; however, they leave a mess, and they are best not served to tanks with a betta in them because the betta will likely eat any other fish or creature food until it can't eat anymore. Then it would get bloated and unable to recover; then, it will die. Bettas will not eat shrimp pellets as they are too big for them, you could feed one of them once every 3 days or so for shrimp, depending on how many you have. Or if you scoop up left over pellets, you could feed them more often. Besides shrimp pellets, there are shrimp specific foods, but they likely wont like them as shrimp pellets. For Northfin betta bits, it could be a hit or miss whether your betta likes them. Mine would ignore or spit out different other brand pellets, in part for the later because they were too hard.

[1] As for your other items, I recommend Tetra Safestart. It is overpriced right now on amazon, so I bought the medium size bottle recently instead of the larger one. You can use ammonium chloride like you mention. I have a bottle of dr tim's that i don't really use. However, you can also do a fish-in with TSS whereas you woudn't need ammonium chloride. [2] Likewise, you mentioned water conditioner, i use tetra aquasafe, but it is just basic sodium thiosulfate that other water conditioners have. Most other water conditioners would have basic sodium thiosulfate, except seachem prime that is based on some other chemical. However, I personally don't use seachem products except their medications. [3] Likewise, if you are getting bio media, i dont use seachem bio matrix product because it raises water hardness, which they don't mention. Rather, i use just ceramic bio media like many others. You don't need to use chemical filtration such as with carbon or purigen unless you want to take medication out or smell out or if you just want something additional. [4] In addition to this filter stuff, inexpensive sponge filters are the cheapest and good value, and I prefer them in to other filters actually if I dont need additional filtration. If I am to state my favorite type of filter, I would say I like sponge filters the most and best. [5] However, if you do use a hob filter, a sponge or a cut up plastic bottle is what I have used to slow the outflow of my hob filter uses.[6] In addition to this, you have to be careful while cleaning the tank in relation to the hob filter so you don't disconnect the intake part. Doing so could suck your fish in and kill them. That has happened to me. In addition to that, you might want to buy a sponge to cut and form or cover the intake part of the hob filter. [7] In addition to this, you mentioned heater and thermometer. You have to be careful that your thermometer remains or is accurate. I had one that was 6 degrees fahreheit lower than what the actual accurate temperature in the tank was. So, I had two small 2.5g tanks with constant 86 fahrehiet degrees when i thought it was 80, and that likely shorten the lfiespan of the bettas that were in the tanks.

For addition things to your list, I guess the only thing I can think of is an api water master test kit.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  8. imba

imbaWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +868
    Just to add some food suggestions,
    Frozen Daphnia
    Freeze Dried Blackworms
    NLS betta pellets

9. jennalynnj

jennalynnjValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +85
    Experience:
    Just started
    I use an infared 'point and shoot' thermometer to doublecheck my temps. It is about $10-15, but it is so versatile. You can use it for everything. Multiple tanks, buckets of water for water changes, auto mechanics... food i suppose (although it wouldn't be internal temp so maybe not) maybe a bit pricey for a thermometer, but if you have other tanks, or other hobbies where it is handy (i kinda stole it from the hubby lol)

10. OP
    OP
    TheGeeko

TheGeekoNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +11
    Experience:
    Just started
    Sounds good! :D

I really appreciate your long list of advice! It is very helpful and I really like your tips. I am planning on getting API Master Test Kit but did not include it on my "shopping list" because I knew that it would work. :)

Thanks for the tips! I will look into those

Ooo I've seen those! Once I get the tank up and running I might invest in one!

Become a Fishlore Member