Help Rescaping: 23 Gallon Mangrove

bumblinBee

Hi everybody! I've gone through several different iterations with this tank, and I've never been satisfied. I got close with the 'island' style of settup I was aiming for a few years ago (see below with the dragonstone), that one lasted the longest before I grew to dislike it and eventually tore it down. Right now it's a complete mess, I haven't really scaped it all it's kind of in an in-between phase. Final stocking will be 3 honey gourami, school of ember tetras, and a variety of shrimp/snails.

The lighting on this tank isn't phenomenal (USA Satellite Plus) so my planting is limited, and finding hardscape is a challenge. I was thinking about swapping over to crypts exclusively, and just using a variety to get different textures and sizes to develop complexity and depth as they seem to do very well in this tank. I've also had success with anubias, bacopa, rotala and hygrophila (as you can see in the pics). I want to avoid stem plant, they tend to lose their lower leaves and it leaves gaping visible holes so you can see through to the back of the tank which I want to avoid. I struggle to develop height in this tank with the exception of stem plants, but they don't grow bushy how I wish they would and they take a while to get to the right height for success.

I've decided I want to scape with spiderwood, I love the idea of a mangrove style aquarium with 'roots' coming down from above and outside of the tank. I want to find some bigger pieces of spiderwood, but frankly these were the biggest pieces I could find. Really want to build a proper sense of scale which thus far I've had little to no success with. Not sure how I want to build the settup. Any and all suggestions welcome!

Attachments

• IMG_1413.JPG
    IMG_1413.JPG
    203.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3103.JPG
    IMG_3103.JPG
    199.8 KB · Views: 25

JustAFishServant

I'm loving the scape! Fun fact: mangrove trees can be kept in freshwater. They're $10 at LFS's & Petco so they're fairly cheap and do well too. I'd consider that.

It seems like you're trying to do a riparium. There are many plant species that you can use for that type of setup. I've succeeded with philodendron, arrow plant, english ivy, purple waffle, "bamboo", sweet potato, dwarf water onion, mondo grass & many more :)

bumblinBee

I'm loving the scape! Fun fact: mangrove trees can be kept in freshwater. They're $10 at LFS's & Petco so they're fairly cheap and do well too. I'd consider that.

It seems like you're trying to do a riparium. There are many plant species that you can use for that type of setup. I've succeeded with philodendron, arrow plant, english ivy, purple waffle, "bamboo", sweet potato, dwarf water onion, mondo grass & many more :)
As much as I love ripariums, I don't have the right settup to grow terrestrial plants like that. I'd need a separate light above the tank to achieve that, and unfortunately I just don't have any more space on my adapter. I'd prefer to replicate the look of tree roots coming down from above using the spiderwood as the 'roots' than to use actual plants.

I didn't know mangroves were a specific type of tree, I've only heard the word mangrove used in terms of mangrove habitats. Very interesting, I'll have to keep my eyes out for them in future! Thank you for the tip

BPSabelhaus

Yeah, I was wondering where the mangroves were lol

9536973B-8E4D-40D1-97D9-4D10C444B9E7.jpeg

Was curious how you were rescaping so often with the roots growing into things lol ;)

Edit: I will be rescaping mine in the future, when I move it into a 20 long. But the rocks will be going back in the same order for root reasons.

bumblinBee

Yeah, I was wondering where the mangroves were lol

9536973B-8E4D-40D1-97D9-4D10C444B9E7.jpeg

Was curious how you were rescaping so often with the roots growing into things lol ;)
Hah, perhaps the term mangrove is a misnomer here? I'm aiming for something along the lines of Aquapros mangrove style aquarium, or SerpaDesign's sunken forest blackwater scape - both can be found on youtube. I can't really think of a better term to describe a scape replicating a mangrove habitat haha

FishPhilia

As much as I love ripariums, I don't have the right settup to grow terrestrial plants like that. I'd need a separate light above the tank to achieve that, and unfortunately I just don't have any more space on my adapter. I'd prefer to replicate the look of tree roots coming down from above using the spiderwood as the 'roots' than to use actual plants.

I didn't know mangroves were a specific type of tree, I've only heard the word mangrove used in terms of mangrove habitats. Very interesting, I'll have to keep my eyes out for them in future! Thank you for the tip
There are three types of mangrove trees. Red mangroves which have the long propagules (seeds) and prop roots. Black mangroves which have a snorkel roots and white mangroves which grow the furthest away from the water. These are also all plants which live in brackish or salt water. But the red mangrove (with the prop roots) are the easiest to train to live in full fresh water. And the reds are usually what you see as a stereotypical mangrove.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ruud
Replies
Views
ruud
Replies
Views
ruud
Replies
Views