Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Help Removing Algae

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Daniel Rodrigues, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Daniel RodriguesValued MemberMember

Hi, I have been having algae on my rocks and plants and I want to know how to remove it. I bought 3 nerite snails and 7 shrimps.

The tank receives direct sunlight but I don't have another place to put it.

How can I kill the algae?

I have lots of moss and some Java fern

Attached Files:

2. TheBettaSushiWell Known MemberMember

I use a clean (never used) cheap toothbrush to clean algae off of my rocks in old tank water when doing water changes . I also use my hands to rub it off of my plants. Some people fork it like you would with spaghetti. You can use an algaecide like seachem excel but if used incorrectly, it may harm your fish. I tend to stay away from products and just use my hands or an algae scraper to remove it.

You’re going to continue getting algae unfortunately since your tank is in direct sunlight.

3. sinned4g63Well Known MemberMember

First things first, make something to block the sunlight if you can't move the tank.

4. Skullkong101Valued MemberMember

How big is the tank? Also what substrate do you use? If you don't use sand or don't bother it being disturbed are some Malaysian trumpet snails. Or possibly a few more shrimp if it's big enough. I would also need to see the severity of the problem.

5. fjhWell Known MemberMember

Well you will always have some algae since its in direct sunlight, but the amount in the picture seems excessive...
    How long have you had the snails and shrimp?

I would start with manual removal of the algae - gently use your finger to wipe the plant leaves and glass and remove from the aquarium. Next if you could use cardboard or a sheet or something to temporatily block the sunlight for 2-3 days, this will give the snails and shrimp a chance to get the algae under control.

Long term, lower the dosage of any ferts you use (if any) and eventually your shrimp should reproduce enough to keep up with the algae growth.

6. Daniel RodriguesValued MemberMember

I've had them for 2 days now but I've had those pest snails for a while

The tank is about 5 gallons and I was thinking about adding more shrimps. I will post a picture later.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2019
  7. Skullkong101Valued MemberMember

I'd advise the snails because shrimp don't tend to do well in smaller tanks.

8. candiedragonWell Known MemberMember

Add an air stone (oxygenation), make sure the parameters remain clean with regular water changes as necessary, prune plants of any old dying leaves or any that has holes, consider dosing plant fertilizers.

The sunlight isn't as much an issue as people may think. I have a 40 breeder that gets max morning sunlight and it has almost no algae at all.

Algae is usually a sign of weakness in the balance of your tank. If your plants are not able to take up nutrients then algae has the chance to take over. Usually, excessive nutrients, oxygen-deprivation, and lack of minerals are common suspects leading to an algae outbreak. Excess in nutrients also includes decaying organic matter like uneaten food, poop, and even decaying plant matter. It's important to remove any decaying plant matter and other wastes to help prevent algae. It's kind of like cleaning up your dishes after a meal so that you wont get ants. Pruning also helps stimulate growth, which makes the plant stronger in competing with algae. They also need dissolved oxygen to function properly, this can be helped by adding a simple air stone.