Help - Remote City No Tap Water Conditioner

fish668

I'm in a remote city that barely sells any fish supplies, I can't find tap water conditioner / dechlorinator anywhere. I've got a few guppies and guppy fry on my hands now and not sure what to do. Is my best bet to use water that's been standing for a few days? I've got a tank set up - filter, thermometer. Just no tap water conditioner, and the tap water here is not the best.

Hunter1

Amazon

Sean Smith

I would get it from the online stores . But if chlorine is your only issue with the water . Then just let it sit 24 hours with an air stone it it to get the chlorine to dissolve out of it before you put it in a tank

AquaticJ

Make sure you don’t have chloramine in your water, that won’t gas off.

fish668

Guys... They don't deliver online here... It's a struggle to even find a working internet connection. Amazon? Are you serious?

I still can't get over the Amazon reply lol. I guess people really have taken the internet for granted

Okay Sean Smith thanks I guess that's my only option then. I'll use standing water, also I don't know the conditions of the tap water here chlorine chloramine etc. Like I said they don't even sell drops here much less test kits

Thunder_o_b

Greetings and Welcome to Fishlore

Where do you live? What country? State? City?

If you can get mail you can place orders. Do you have phone service?

Petsmart 1 888-839-9638

Big Al's 1 888-824-4257

Dr Foster and Smith 1 800-381-7179

smee82

fish668

Thanks Thunder! Glad to be here!

Seeing as how the roads don't have addresses I highly doubt it

In any case I'll be able to get some from abroad in a few months, I was asking more for short term urgency. I've got the fish now, I'm looking for a solution for right now

Even if there was a way to ship some drops the fish are living life here at the moment

Cichlidude

Sounds like you need to get a Post Office Box close to you.

smee82

I have to ask but where are you that's so remote

coralbandit

Can you get hydrogen peroxide , like what is at drug store ?

Hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) is a safe, convenient alternative for many dechlorination needs, especially those involving "free available chlorine" -- as opposed to "combined available chlorine."
Taken from ;

Now depending on what country your are in that will determine how much is needed as different countries have different strength H2O2.
I don't do this myself but will run a quick test as I do have a chlorine test kit and use H2O2 in the tanks enough not to be worried about it.
Although not mentioned specifically in this link this is useful for using H2O2;

coralbandit

1ml per gallon worked instantly !
Did multiple test even adding extra reagent to see if any chlorine would register.
0 in seconds of stiring in 1 ml 3% H2O2 works in seconds.

uncle fishy

fish668 said:
Thanks Thunder! Glad to be here!

Seeing as how the roads don't have addresses I highly doubt it

In any case I'll be able to get some from abroad in a few months, I was asking more for short term urgency. I've got the fish now, I'm looking for a solution for right now

Even if there was a way to ship some drops the fish are living life here at the moment
Man, I'm stumped. I guess I am dependent on modern conveniences. I wish I had something a little more intelligent to add. Good luck, and welcome.

fish668

A hundred times over thank you coralbandit, I could literally kiss your feet right now. There's a pharmacy nearby I'll head there to get the H2O2. Sadly I don't have any test kits on hand I would've liked to make sure my dosages are correct- but I will follow dosages as you have done, thank you for running that test. Thanks again

Small town near Thailand border

Not sure what the fish store is using but every time I go I see different fish. Either they're all being bought or they're dying off

Hunter1

Sorry for the Amazon comment.

I live in the USA, although I don’t have general delivery mail but Fed-ex and UPS know where I live.

In your situation I am pretty sure chlorine is added to the water, not chloramine. So 24 hours in buckets should release the chlorine. An airstone in the bucket will help.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom