Help reducing ammonia and nitrite

jbw

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello everyone,

I have a 5 gallon tank that had a 25% water change Sunday. I checked the parameters and they were really high. I did another water change yesterday and today(90%) but they are still not 0. I will do another water change tomorrow. What else can I do to help lower these numbers? I have 4 red eyes and a mystery and ivory snail. They have been getting better but I want to know if there is anything else I can do to help

Attachments

CrimsonMoon

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I sifted through my email, and found this that might help you for nitrates.

(From aquarium co-op newsletter)

As for ammonia and nitrite, besides doing water changes, use prime, or increase the dosage if you already use it.

Attachments

CrimsonMoon

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
jbw said:
Hello everyone,

I have a 5 gallon tank that had a 25% water change Sunday. I checked the parameters and they were really high. I did another water change yesterday and today(90%) but they are still not 0. I will do another water change tomorrow. What else can I do to help lower these numbers? I have 4 red eyes and a mystery and ivory snail. They have been getting better but I want to know if there is anything else I can do to help
You could also check your tap water to make sure there is no Nitrite or Ammonia in your tap water.

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
As flyingGourami wrote the tank is not fully cycled.
It does not have all the bacteria in numbers to consume the nitrites and the ammonia in one photo.

Having just checked your profile page I see you are still learning of the nitrogen cycle.

I am sure we can all help you because none of us were born with knowledge of the nitrogen cycle ether. ( as far as I know?)

The tank has some of a cycle unless it’s your tap water has nitrates and nitrites?

Can you test the tap water please.

As soon as possible continue 45% temperature matched conditioned water changes. Each day .

OP
J

jbw

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
CrimsonMoon said:
You could also check your tap water to make sure there is no Nitrite or Ammonia in your tap water.
I also have 2 other tanks and they both have 0 for both. Its just this tank that's all funky.

OP
J

jbw

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Flyfisha said:
As flyingGourami wrote the tank is not fully cycled.
It does not have all the bacteria in numbers to consume the nitrites and the ammonia in one photo.

Having just checked your profile page I see you are still learning of the nitrogen cycle.

I am sure we can all help you because none of us were born with knowledge of the nitrogen cycle ether. ( as far as I know?)

The tank has some of a cycle unless it’s your tap water has nitrates and nitrites?

Can you test the tap water please.

As soon as possible continue 45% temperature matched conditioned water changes. Each day .
I havent changed my status on the nitrogen cycle sorry. Also this tank isn't new. I've had the tank for over a month now and had a betta in there before the red eyes. The spike was because 1. Im heavy handed with feedings and 2. My tetras weren't eating. I have fed them a little once a day to help lower the numbers and they were just moved into that tank so I think thats why they weren't eating. Im not exactly sure. Could also be because they are on their own instead of with other tetras? Again I'm not sure.
I will continue with the water changes and get some prime. Thank you everyone!

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Personally I don’t think the use of Prime Is a long term solution. But many people recommended using it freely.
It may be you need more undisturbed hard surfaces for the bacteria/ more filter media? Or another undisturbed filter.

Not judging Just helping.
it could be the tetras were not eating because they were in toxic water?

OP
J

jbw

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey Everyone, thank you for your input. I did another 90% water change early in the morning. I let the water circulate and just checked again. My nitrite is at 0 and it looks like my ammonia is at 0 too but they look really similar. I'll still hold off on the feedings for another day because I am heavy handed but I am trying to work on that. I'll check again Sunday when I do water changes for all my tanks. Again, thank you!

Attachments

New Threads