Help, red streaks in goldfish tail!

Allisonf

Reaction score
My goldfish recently started having red streaks in her tail fin. It started with a vein or two and has progressed from there. It is worse at the base of her fin closest to the body and at the very tips. There are no signs of redness on the body itself.
Does anyone know what this is?
my first thought was ammonia poisoning but my ammonia levels are 0, as well as nitrates and nitrites. Ph is 7.2.
I am currently treating for septicemia. tomorrow is the last day of treatment using API bacterial fin and body cure.There has not been any improvement.
what is this and what should I do???

Attachments

OP
Allisonf

Allisonf

Reaction score
CoryFan said:
Tank size? Full stocking?
55 gallon with 2 fancy goldfish, 1 black Moore, 5 rainbow fish, 2 mystery snails.

I forgot to add that both goldfish in my tank are experiencing this, this one is the worst though.

DixieFish

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How are the goldfish behaving? Eating and foraging or lethargic? Because - goldfish keepers, correct me if I am wrong - to me, the coloration looks natural, not like rot. With Fin-rot (as ive had the misfortune of dealing with far too many times) the edges appear rust/dark red to black and the fins start to melt away or shred. And a fungal problem has a milky/cotton look.

You may have too many fish in the tank with the goldfish and the Moore. They get BIG! Test for ammonia and/or nitrates if you can. You may need more water changes and filtration.

Just some thoughts. :)

OP
Allisonf

Allisonf

Reaction score
DixieFish said:
How are the goldfish behaving? Eating and foraging or lethargic? Because - goldfish keepers, correct me if I am wrong - to me, the coloration looks natural, not like rot. With Fin-rot (as ive had the misfortune of dealing with far too many times) the edges appear rust/dark red to black and the fins start to melt away or shred. And a fungal problem has a milky/cotton look.

You may have too many fish in the tank with the goldfish and the Moore. They get BIG! Test for ammonia and/or nitrates if you can. You may need more water changes and filtration.

The pictures don’t show it well but there are red veins and patches on the fins. It is continuing to get worse. I know that it is not fin rot, I’ve had to treat one of them for that before when I first purchased them.
It looks just like septicemia would look, but I’m assuming it’s not that since the treatment didn’t help?

OP
Allisonf

Allisonf

Reaction score
DixieFish said:

The fish are lethargic and sit on the bottom more than usual, but still are super energetic when feeding.

DixieFish

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hmmm... Okay I think I can make put what you are talking about and I have to agree with you on the septicemia.

I found a link with some sound advice on understandind and treating septicemia. It advises the use of two types of antibacterial medications ive heard my local lfs owner tout several times:

If you want, double check with a local fish dealer on the meds. In the meantime, definitely quarantine those two fish before it spreads!

Good luck with your babies!

OP
Allisonf

Allisonf

Reaction score
DixieFish said:
Hmmm... Okay I think I can make put what you are talking about and I have to agree with you on the septicemia.

I found a link with some sound advice on understandind and treating septicemia. It advises the use of two types of antibacterial medications ive heard my local lfs owner tout several times:

If you want, double check with a local fish dealer on the meds. In the meantime, definitely quarantine those two fish before it spreads!

Good luck with your babies!
Thank you so much!!

New Threads