Help! Ram's Head Turning Black?!?

Cas88

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
madelyn anne said:
Update 2: Little one who's breathing is fast and labored has lost all coloring to her. She looks extremely pale. The other GBRs know something is up...because they've come over to her and comforted her/protected her. They are keeping Oscar, my juvenile Angelfish (who will try to eat any fish who's dead/barely moving) away from her. It's really sweet. Amazing, actually.

EDIT: Little girl has lost control of her swimming ability. She can't swim, can only glide along the bottom of the tank or move her fins to stay in place.

I would be shocked if my little GBR makes it through another night.
As for the other one, with the black face, he's still acting great.
Wat med are u using ... use coppersafe with some salt and she will come back .. it works trust me mine was pretty much just floating also

madelyn anne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Unfortunately, the little one who was breathing heavily and stuck at the bottom of the tank has passed away. She will be missed, sweet little Ram.

My other GBR with the black spot on his face is doing better, the black spot is going away, so there's a silver lining there.
The other fish in the tank seem to be doing great.

xx

Cas88

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
madelyn anne said:
Unfortunately, the little one who was breathing heavily and stuck at the bottom of the tank has passed away. She will be missed, sweet little Ram.

My other GBR with the black spot on his face is doing better, the black spot is going away, so there's a silver lining there.
The other fish in the tank seem to be doing great.

xx
She was a good fish.. but that good that ur other is improving I’ll keep it in mind if mine getthat symptom

madelyn anne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Cas88 said:
She was a good fish.. but that good that ur other is improving I’ll keep it in mind if mine getthat symptom
Definitely do. The face turning black was definitely concerning but he's still acting normal and the blackness is fading.
Although the one correlation I noticed between the GBR with the black side of his face, and the one who was breathing quickly and passed, was that the little one who passed and was breathing extremely fast started losing ALL her colors last night and started turning black all over. By the time I found her dead this morning, she was 100% black - including her pretty orange eyes. Was quite shocking, and very sad to see such an absolutely gorgeous fish fade and get so sick that she lost all of her beauty. Poor little sweet thing. </3

Adriifu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Poor thing.. Sorry for your loss

ImperialJoe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
OnTheFly said:
This doesn't help you any today but as your tank matures it should get easier. I've done just the same as you did, and got by with it, but these fish are not easy to acclimate and a new tank doesn't make it easier. Guess I am saying don't give up, but restock slowly if this round ends bad.
Yep I agree from reading through this thread and looking at the pictures I'm wondering if it was stress induced and allowed for some immune health compromise seeing as this was a newly cycled tank the parameters would have increased from a higher bioload granted not a big addition but still. Keep in mind that nitrifying bacteria grows to the size of the bioload so when you add new fish the bacteria plays catch up. nitrosomonas and nitrobacter replicate every 24 hours or so I'm sure you tested for ammonia and trates after adding the fish but just something to think about.

The other factor I'm thinking is the water hardness sure rams can acclimate to tap but you have to know what water there coming from and do it gradually any idea what your tap water hardness is ? I usually use a electronic TDS meter for testing hardness it's alot faster then the API liquid tests lol

Hope some of this helps don't be hesitant to try rams again and quality stock/acclimation is very key to long term health

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads