Help! Ram's Head Turning Black?!?

madelyn anne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Freaking out right now, very worried for my GBRs.

I have 3 GBRs, one is a pair, the other is a solo male (i believe he's a male, could be wrong.) I've had them a few weeks, and they've been doing great. No issues whatsoever, it's been easy breezy.

Fast forward to three days ago, and I notice that the single male is alone, hiding, and breathing HEAVILY. He has been doing this for 3 days straight now. Hiding, not moving, just breathing extremely heavily. Today, he refused food as well.

Now, on one half of my GBR pair, I noticed a ginormous black spot that's overtaken the side of his face! His behavior is fine; swimming, chasing, playing, eating, etc. No concern behaviorally, however this wasn't there before, and this doesn't look normal (see pics below)

Does ANYBODY know what I can do? I am raising the temp a bit to about 84 degrees. The other fish in the tank seem to be doing well, and are acting normal.

Water Parameters;

pH - 7.0
Nitrate: 10-20 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Ammonia: 0 ppm

Any sort of info would be greatly appreciated, I'm extremely concerned for my fishies and can't bear to lose something else today. I experienced a major loss this afternoon and don't want to add ANY sort of additional loss on my plate at the moment.

The photos are of the one GBR who's got the black side of his face, the video is of the lethargic GBR who's breathing heavily.

Thanks!

xx

gbr1xx.jpg
gbr2xx.jpg
gbr3xx.jpg

etkelly22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
First I would try to raise your temp slowly to atleast 78, these guys prefer 78-84, but do best in low 80's. Second, you should try to find out if they were in tap or RO at the store, because they need soft water, and switching from one to another can be hard on them, especially because they aren't the hardiest. As for the color change, I would monitor but wouldn't be too worried if he's acting okay. Mine tend to also change colors at times.

But 74 is way too low for these guys

Adriifu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Discusluv
I'm kind of stumped. You can increase oxygenation with an airstone to help with their breathing. If this is just impacting the rams, then this is possibly just an issue with water parameters and their preferences. Like etkelly22 said, increasing the temperature can help. Other than that, I have no idea what's going on. Sorry

madelyn anne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sorry guys, typo - the temp is actually 84 NOT 74. I know, 74 is WAY too cold for GBRs.

etkelly22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
madelyn anne said:
Sorry guys, typo - the temp is actually 84 NOT 74. I know, 74 is WAY too cold for GBRs.
Did you say whether they're in tap or RO? They're a tough fish to keep and sadly aren't very forgiving.

The only other thing I could think is that the solo male could be depressed/getting picked on by the pair, same thing happened in my tank. You may want to monitor to make sure he isn't being bullied.

madelyn anne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
etkelly22 said:
Did you say whether they're in tap or RO? They're a tough fish to keep and sadly aren't very forgiving.
Tap water, not R/O. I know, they aren't the most hardy, I just really fell in love with them. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to give them the home that they need. I just hope they come through whatever this is.

etkelly22 said:
The only other thing I could think is that the solo male could be depressed/getting picked on by the pair, same thing happened in my tank. You may want to monitor to make sure he isn't being bullied.
I do monitor the tank very closely, and there is no bullying going on. I believe these guys were raised all together. The pair and the solo one get along very well actually, and the pair will actually go and check on the sick/lethargic one every once in a while. They do all swim together, too, usually, just not anymore now that he's feeling so poorly. The only signs of aggression that I saw was when the pair were exhibiting breeding behaviors, and one of them would chase the single guy off. Other than that, nothing. Everyone in the tank gets along very well, even aside from the GBRs.

Adriifu said:
Discusluv
I'm kind of stumped. You can increase oxygenation with an airstone to help with their breathing. If this is just impacting the rams, then this is possibly just an issue with water parameters and their preferences. Like etkelly22 said, increasing the temperature can help. Other than that, I have no idea what's going on. Sorry
What could I do to improve my parameters to suit their needs? I thought a reading of 10/0/0 and a pH of 7.0 was about perfect. I did turn on my bubble bar in my tank to increase the oxygen levels, to see if that'll help the little one.

etkelly22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I also kept them in tap, it's very possible, but they do not like change in the water parameters all. So if your paramaters have changed drastically, that also may play into it. Other than that, I'm not sure what could be going on.

madelyn anne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My water parameters have not changed drastically at all, although my tank has just finished cycling, the changes were extremely gradual. I'm very careful to make sure I don't make any changes that I can control to their water quality unless done so very gradually.

I'm just totally stumped as well. I wish I knew at least what TYPE of infection/disease this was, so I could treat it. But since I don't, I don't know how to treat it.

Cas88

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
madelyn anne said:
My water parameters have not changed drastically at all, although my tank has just finished cycling, the changes were extremely gradual. I'm very careful to make sure I don't make any changes that I can control to their water quality unless done so very gradually.

I'm just totally stumped as well. I wish I knew at least what TYPE of infection/disease this was, so I could treat it. But since I don't, I don't know how to treat it.
Hey there so your gbr that is breathing heavy that happen to me he was hiding and stopped eating and eventual couldn’t even stay floating properly.. turns out he got gill flukes, if u research they are very prone to that I️ caught in time and put him in qt and treated with copper safe and salt and it worked with I️n 3 days he was 100% .. unfortunately 1 month later he now has dropsy but believe it or not I’m on the verge to a recover with him.. this guy is a trooper

madelyn anne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Gill flukes, eh? Thanks for the info, I'll look into it. Is this something that's contagious to other fish? It sounds like your little ram really is a trooper! I'm glad he's doing better and seems to be recovering! Hope I can say the same for my little fella.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My first thought is maturing / natural colloring.

madelyn anne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
DoubleDutch said:
My first thought is maturing / natural colloring.
I've thought about this, however the coloring isn't in a natural pattern whatsoever. I have not seen another healthy GBR with this discoloration.

Also, update: the sick little GBR with the heavy breathing, Phoebe, has planted herself between the bubble bar and the back pane of glass, very isolated, on the sand. She's refusing to move, even allowing the Cories to climb over her, still breathing extremely heavily. I doubt she'll make it through the night. </3

Harlequin

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have had my ups and downs with Rams. They spawned several times but one of the parents died, bought a new one, the other one died, bought a new one, both parents died. Yesterday I bought a friend for my only survivor from one of the spawns... We'll see how it goes, I have them in a bigger tank with Kuhli loaches now.
What I can say is that I have observed this "half face turning dark or black colour change" on one of the parent fish after his female died and I had purchased another female for him. He "recovered" and lived several months after, spawning again-which is where my 1 survivor is from.
I read somewhere at the time that black colouring can be a sign of bad mood?!? Like them feeling low or angry?
As for heavy breathing-all 4 of my original parent ones had that before passing away and 3 of them behaved exactly like yours...the 4th one was eating and active but heavy breathing for 1 day before passing away that night...sorry for long post but I feel like you: Really sensitive fish but I fell in love with them....

Cas88

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
madelyn anne said:
Gill flukes, eh? Thanks for the info, I'll look into it. Is this something that's contagious to other fish? It sounds like your little ram really is a trooper! I'm glad he's doing better and seems to be recovering! Hope I can say the same for my little fella.
Idk if it’s contagious, no one else caught it in the Tank and yea today I️ checked him he’s fully curd ready to go back in .. definitly trooper lol how’s urs doing now?

madelyn anne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Harlequin said:
I have had my ups and downs with Rams. They spawned several times but one of the parents died, bought a new one, the other one died, bought a new one, both parents died. Yesterday I bought a friend for my only survivor from one of the spawns... We'll see how it goes, I have them in a bigger tank with Kuhli loaches now.
What I can say is that I have observed this "half face turning dark or black colour change" on one of the parent fish after his female died and I had purchased another female for him. He "recovered" and lived several months after, spawning again-which is where my 1 survivor is from.
I read somewhere at the time that black colouring can be a sign of bad mood?!? Like them feeling low or angry?
As for heavy breathing-all 4 of my original parent ones had that before passing away and 3 of them behaved exactly like yours...the 4th one was eating and active but heavy breathing for 1 day before passing away that night...sorry for long post but I feel like you: Really sensitive fish but I fell in love with them....
I'm so sorry for your Rams. I know, they're such beauties with such awesome personalities. WHY CAN'T THEY BE HARDIER?

madelyn anne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Update: No change in the Rams. The one who's doing the heavy breathing in isolation is still doing that, very much so. The one with the black side of the face is still active, hungry, etc.

I guess it's just observe and wait. I just hope they pull through, I really love GBR's and I really love these guys especially.

Adriifu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
madelyn anne said:
Update: No change in the Rams. The one who's doing the heavy breathing in isolation is still doing that, very much so. The one with the black side of the face is still active, hungry, etc.

I guess it's just observe and wait. I just hope they pull through, I really love GBR's and I really love these guys especially.
Good luck Hopefully they make it.

madelyn anne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Update 2: Little one who's breathing is fast and labored has lost all coloring to her. She looks extremely pale. The other GBRs know something is up...because they've come over to her and comforted her/protected her. They are keeping Oscar, my juvenile Angelfish (who will try to eat any fish who's dead/barely moving) away from her. It's really sweet. Amazing, actually.

EDIT: Little girl has lost control of her swimming ability. She can't swim, can only glide along the bottom of the tank or move her fins to stay in place.

I would be shocked if my little GBR makes it through another night.
As for the other one, with the black face, he's still acting great.

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry to hear about your sick GBRs. Hope they recover. I just picked up a pair yesterday/today (long story).

OnTheFly

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This doesn't help you any today but as your tank matures it should get easier. I've done just the same as you did, and got by with it, but these fish are not easy to acclimate and a new tank doesn't make it easier. Guess I am saying don't give up, but restock slowly if this round ends bad.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom