Help Quickly Help 

Mitchell5108

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have a 20 gallon freshwater fish tank that is having major problems. I am losing fish to some extremely fast paced sickness. I have lost 4 fish in the past few days (2 platys, 2 zebra danios) and I am about to lose another fish (a neon tetra). My water parameters are well within acceptable ranges Nitrite-0 Nitrate-0 Ammonia-0 pH-7.8 temperature-80f. The sickness has been monitored by me in the last death. It progresses very quickly (2 days maybe less) and causes colours to darken and stomachs to bloat slightly and control of ballast to be lost. I would like to know what is causing this, how I can fix it and if this is a problem for what fish I have left. PLEASE REPLY QUICKLY I AM OUT OF TOWN TOMMOROW AND CANNOT CONTACT MY LFS!!!

Charlemagne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Um, first thing that comes to my mind is a swim bladder disorder. I believe you are overstocked as well. The shark really needs like a 50-55 gallon tank. Also, nitrate 0 isn't normal I don't believe. On all the ones I've heard of it's under 20 but like 5 or something. A picture of the fish always helps. Has anything unusual happened to the tank in the last few days? (e.g. really big water change, adding new fish, trying new products etc.) Hopefully, someone will be along shortly who can help you more! Good luck!

Mitchell5108

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I recently added a yoyo loach and that about it for major changes, I removed a danio with a secondary infection a while back. Also I know its not swim bladder diorder.. I am pretty sure of that.

Charlemagne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hmmmm, well, that's about all I can think of right now . . . . .I'm really sorry! I'll ask around and see if I can direct some people to your thread.

Mitchell5108

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
k thanks for your help I really appreciate it!

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
HI Mitchell, if I haven't said it before, welcome to FishLore.
I'm sorry you're having problems.
Is your aquarium information up to date, especially the stock in the tank?
Particularly the fiddlers crabs?

Mitchell5108

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
ya everything is up to date

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks.
I'm a little confused. Don't fiddler crabs needed some dry land and brackish water?

I'm sorry for all the questions. Here's where I'm going with this, if the water is brackish, that might explain the deaths. If the water is not brackish, I wonder if this is a stress issue from incompatible tank mates.

Mitchell5108

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
the type of crab I have is completely freshwater and I have had him since I started the tank and never had problems. The tank is not brackish. The crab also has access to dry land and he uses its often, for example he is out of the water as I am writing this.

flyin-lowe

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Is the tank heavily planted? Since your nitrates are at zero I thought it might be if. Not not then you should have some nitrates. If your nitrates are at zero then either your tank never cycled or you have a bad test kit. What type of test kit are you using?

Mitchell5108

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
API Master Test Kit. The tank also has some live plants to control phosphorus levels (which I have been having problems with which is why I got the plants).

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads