Help!! Quick Setup Problem

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by KasumiKi, Apr 8, 2019.

1. KasumiKiValued MemberMember

A couple weeks ago I placed an order for 50 cherry shrimp to go into my fully cycled, planted 10 gallon aquarium I've had setup since November 2017. They acclimated just fine and I've only had a couple of problems pop up. I got a surprise second order for free a few days later but wasn't comfortable adding them to the already existing tank. I did a quick setup with a few plants, cholla wood, and a catappa leaf. It wasn't ideal but it's what I could do. I added API Quick Start and Prime and added a bit of snowflake food for them since it was a bare tank.

For the first few days my second surprise colony seemed to be doing ok. I was adding Prime and letting the bacteria colonize the tank and was watching things closely. But then a couple days ago things kind of started going downhill. I found a few dead and ended up doing a test that showed me the ph was REALLY high so I did a 10% water change to try and lower it just a little but just enough.

Then I woke up today and found 3-4 dead shrimp. I know there's ammonia and nitrite and nitrate (strip test shows 0.5 ppm nitrite, 5 ppm nitrate) in the tank but I've been adding Prime and I have plants in there as well (duckweed, dwarf water lettuce, hornwort, Bacopa Monnieri, java moss). I might have been slightly overfeeding but I have been removing leftover food after 24 hours and I haven't fed them for a few days since I saw biofilm starting to develop (I added Bacter AE).

I don't know if it's because I dropped the ph too quickly or if something else is going on. The water has been pretty cloudy from the start.

I know this was probably a huge mistake and I messed up somewhere but I just need some advice on how to fix it now without hurting my shrimp. I thought about doing small water changes daily (5-10%) but I don't want to do too many water changes since it's shrimp. I guess overall I'm just not even sure what's wrong so I don't know which direction to go.

I'm pretty upset about this and I'm just really not sure what to do now that I've messed up. Any advice or help would be appreciated. Thanks! Also I'm all over the place right now due to me freaking out about this so if something doesn't make sense please let me know and I'll try to explain better!

2. MermishNew MemberMember

So you have two shrimp tanks?

3. QueenLittleLizardValued MemberMember

If possible I would try to move the shrimp to another tank. I had a similar problem and move the fish from the tank with water problems until I fixed them. Then you can do daily water changes, and I know there are some powders that help with ph. I got some at my local fish store.

4. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

The quick setup is your problem the shrimp won't survive, the fact they came from the same place and within a few days I'd put them all together. A good shrimp tank needs 3 months to mature before adding shrimp. If you want to try and save any I'd catch them Drip them for two hrs and put them all together it's the only way this will work, some may say you should quarantine them but you've not got the tank and no options open to you

5. KasumiKiValued MemberMember

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I was panicking so much that I didn't realize I could just put them in my cycled tank so when I calmed down that's what I did and they're all doing much better. :)