Help/questions before I start prazipro

BarbelLover

Hi all,
I bought 5 False Julii Corys from my LFS about a month ago, one of the ones I bought looked kind of pale and skinny in the bag, but I didn't notice until I brought it home, anyways, the pale one did not improve and unfortunately passed about 2 weeks later, then right after, I noticed another one, looking kind of discolored, lethargic and flashing, heavy breathing etc, that one has now passed aswell, with a discolored abdomen. Now there are three left, one with a swollen abdomen and one with slight discolor, the other one appears perfectly fine, anyways in the event of all this happening I have suspected internal parasites are at play here, would these symptoms be correct for that? I have immediately ordered prazipro and had a few questions about it before I start dosing, as I have never used a fish medicine before.

Tank: 32 gallon planted, all parameters normal as of last weeks check, using seachem prime.
Inhabitants: Rubberlip Pleco, 2 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Porcelain Nerite Snail, Flagtail Porthole Catfish, and the 3 remaining False Julii Corys.

Questions:
1: Should I dose the entire tank even though only the Juliis are noticeably effected by this?
2: Will prazipro be safe for my other inhabitants? Notably the Nerite and Kuhli Loaches as I have read a few conflicting things about medication with them online.
3: I have some activated carbon in my filter, from what I have read this is considered chemical filtration and must be removed when dosing the medication, is this correct?
4: Is Seachem prime safe to use with prazipro?
5: What else should I make note/know once I start dosing?

SM1199

1. Yes, dose the entire tank - consider all the inhabitants infected since they've been living together for a while. (For future reference, this is what quarantine is beneficial for!)
2. Yes, PraziPro is safe for inverts and scaleless fish.
3. Yes, remove your activated carbon and don't put it back in until you're ready to remove remaining medication. (Tanks actually do just fine without carbon if you didn't want to put it back in, though.)
4. Yes, you can and should continue using your dechlorinator while you're medicating.
5. Just follow the directions on the bottle and check back here if you have more questions!

Flyfisha

I use Prazipro regularly as part of my normal de worming routine in all tanks . I don’t have any issues with any creatures or the bacteria.

You ask what to expect. You may notice bubbles staying unpopped on the water surface. That is normal and nothing to be concerned about. Your next normal routine water change will stop that look.

About carbon in filters.
I don’t use any .

Yes you must continue to use Prime in all new water.

BarbelLover

1. Yes, dose the entire tank - consider all the inhabitants infected since they've been living together for a while. (For future reference, this is what quarantine is beneficial for!)
2. Yes, PraziPro is safe for inverts and scaleless fish.
3. Yes, remove your activated carbon and don't put it back in until you're ready to remove remaining medication. (Tanks actually do just fine without carbon if you didn't want to put it back in, though.)
4. Yes, you can and should continue using your dechlorinator while you're medicating.
5. Just follow the directions on the bottle and check back here if you have more questions!
Thanks you guys, I didnt have a spare tank at the time to make a quarantine tank, but just last week I was able to get an aqueon 20gal high during black Friday/dollar per gallon sale in my area for 25 dollars, I will definitely be using a quarantine tank from now on with future fish now that I have a spare tank!

A few more questions, after reading the directions on the product website (medication still in transit).

1: It says to distribute directly into the filter box for best overall distribution, I have a Penn Plax Cascade 1000, would this mean that I just put the dose directly into the top rack of my opened canister filter? (after removing my carbon of course)

2: It says "A single treatment lasting 5-7 days may be sufficient. "Retreat as necessary, but no more than once every 3 days.", so this would mean, after treating for 7 days, I give the tank a break for 3 days (putting the carbon back in to not overdose the tank?), and then I can continue again with another 5-7 day treatment after this as needed, is this correct?

3: Now onto measurement of the dosage, I have a 32 gallon tank, here is what the website says - "Measure Liquid PraziPro® at the rate of one (1) teaspoon (~5mL) per 20 (76L) gallons of water to be treated (one [1] fl. oz. [29.5 mL] per 120 gallons [454L])." So for 32 gallons, (More like 30 if the water line is evaporated after a while) I would do a teaspoon and a half (1 1/2) of the dose correct?

SM1199

Thanks you guys, I didnt have a spare tank at the time to make a quarantine tank, but just last week I was able to get an aqueon 20gal high during black Friday/dollar per gallon sale in my area for 25 dollars, I will definitely be using a quarantine tank from now on with future fish now that I have a spare tank!

A few more questions, after reading the directions on the product website (medication still in transit).

1: It says to distribute directly into the filter box for best overall distribution, I have a Penn Plax Cascade 1000, would this mean that I just put the dose directly into the top rack of my opened canister filter? (after removing my carbon of course)

2: It says "A single treatment lasting 5-7 days may be sufficient. "Retreat as necessary, but no more than once every 3 days.", so this would mean, after treating for 7 days, I give the tank a break for 3 days (putting the carbon back in to not overdose the tank?), and then I can continue again with another 5-7 day treatment after this as needed, is this correct?

3: Now onto measurement of the dosage, I have a 32 gallon tank, here is what the website says - "Measure Liquid PraziPro® at the rate of one (1) teaspoon (~5mL) per 20 (76L) gallons of water to be treated (one [1] fl. oz. [29.5 mL] per 120 gallons [454L])." So for 32 gallons, (More like 30 if the water line is evaporated after a while) I would do a teaspoon and a half (1 1/2) of the dose correct?
1. Sure, it doesn't really matter where you put it as long as it's in a high-flow area where it can mix with the water. I prefer to put it right in the outflow so that it goes directly to the tank, but it won't hurt anything either way.
2. Not exactly - they're just telling you not to dose more than once every three days. They're saying a single 7 day dose might be all you need, or you might need to dose multiple times and/or more frequently. For example, it would be safe to dose on day 0, then again on day 3, then again on day 6, but not day 0, then day 1, then day 2, etc. PraziPro is a very safe medication and there's no need to put gaps between treatments if the fish aren't improving.
3. Yes, a teaspoon and a half is correct for 32 gallons.

Flyfisha

Sorry BarbelLover I missed the notification of your reply with your questions.

I agree with everything SM1199 wrote.

My thoughts on adding the medication.
Just pour it into moving water so it disperses before the fish eat to much of what they expect to be food from above as always. No big deal.

BarbelLover

Thanks again guys,
I started the first dose on the 1st, doing about a 40-45% water change and siphon with it and removing the carbon bags in the filter. The cory that was bloated immediately did a 180 and looks like a completely new fish now, the other cory that looked fine overall still looks ok, but the third cory still breaths pretty heavy with his mouth open sometimes, he is brighter in color but still breathing heavily. I did a 30% water change and siphon yesterday and started on another round of prazipro. Other than that things seem pretty normal.

I had a question about quarantine tanks, so basically, when I need to quarantine new fish, I can fill up an unused tank, and plop in something like an established sponge filter that I had establishing in my main tank ahead of time and its good to go? Do you guys medicate your quarantine fish as a preventative? Or only if you notice things? I would be set on quarantining no less than a month, after seeing how that one initial cory (patient zero) only started causing real trouble after about a month.

Flyfisha

Hi again BarbelLover,
I don’t have a hard and fast rule about quarantining new arrivals because apart from each species having a slightly different susceptibility I buy from multiple sources.

Even the fish from each local club member are treated differently. I have a couple of club members who I really don’t want fish from anyway.

To answer your question.
No I don’t treat all fish on arrival.
I do use a torch up close daily on all new fish for fortnight, does that count as treatment?

I have a de worming routine for every tank that includes fish born in my house.

SM1199

Thanks again guys,
I started the first dose on the 1st, doing about a 40-45% water change and siphon with it and removing the carbon bags in the filter. The cory that was bloated immediately did a 180 and looks like a completely new fish now, the other cory that looked fine overall still looks ok, but the third cory still breaths pretty heavy with his mouth open sometimes, he is brighter in color but still breathing heavily. I did a 30% water change and siphon yesterday and started on another round of prazipro. Other than that things seem pretty normal.

I had a question about quarantine tanks, so basically, when I need to quarantine new fish, I can fill up an unused tank, and plop in something like an established sponge filter that I had establishing in my main tank ahead of time and its good to go? Do you guys medicate your quarantine fish as a preventative? Or only if you notice things? I would be set on quarantining no less than a month, after seeing how that one initial cory (patient zero) only started causing real trouble after about a month.
Deworming (in my case, with prazipro) is the only thing I do for fish in quarantine. Prazipro will kill internal parasites as well as gill flukes. I didn't start using it on quarantine fish until I had an outbreak of gill flukes from a fish that was quarantined but didn't show symptoms until three months later, and gill flukes are very difficult to see with the naked eye until they've really infested the fish. Ever since then, everything gets prazipro in quarantine.

BarbelLover

Hi all,
Unfortunatly I am in need of help again.
Things were initially going good with the prazipro, I started another dose on the 13th.
Now as of today the corydoras look weird again, pale, red gills, fins deteriorating, and one has this weird white growth/fluff on the dorsal.
What should I do now? Should I find a new course of medication to treat these new problems? Im very disheartened.

SM1199

Have you tested your parameters within the past couple days? How are the other fish doing?

BarbelLover

The other fish appear the same, the main symptoms of the cories are: fin rot, color loss, gasping/inflamed gills. I am trying to look into other medications now as I am suspecting this may not be just a parasite problem. What about maracyn? Ive heard it can treat gill issues and fin rot, is this bacterial? Ive always had a bit of algae in my tank, and its possible since the cories are not acclimated to that and since they are young fish they are getting the brunt of these symptoms, what else would you suggest?
The other fish appear the same, the main symptoms of the cories are: fin rot, color loss, gasping/inflamed gills. I am trying to look into other medications now as I am suspecting this may not be just a parasite problem. What about maracyn? Ive heard it can treat gill issues and fin rot, is this bacterial? Ive always had a bit of algae in my tank, and its possible since the cories are not acclimated to that and since they are young fish they are getting the brunt of these symptoms, what else would you suggest?
Ok just tested the water, everything is normal. The fish appear to always benefit after a water change, I looked up some pictures of this blue green algae/cyanobacteria that can cause this issue, it looks very similar to the stuff that sometimes films over my java ferns that I clean off, also the stuff that sometimes films over the sand substrate. Aquarium co op recommends Maracyn to treat this so I am thinking of going to try and pick some up. It would make sense that it is affecting the cories more because they are juvenile fish with undeveloped gills, my older inhabitants have never seemed to be this affected by this.
Ok after doing some more reading, it seems maracyn is a pretty drastic measure antibiotic, there are other treatments that people have seemed to have success with it looks like, Ultralife blue green algae remover seems less harsh so I might try that one first.

Flyfisha

What is normal for a water test please BarbelLover ?
Can you write the numbers in part per million please?

What is your water change routine, how much and how often

BarbelLover

Ph-6.7
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrites 0ppm
Nitrates less than 5ppm
lately I have been changing the water at least 30% about every 5-7 days while I was treating the prazipro.

Flyfisha

Lately you have been changing less than what I change each week. However you are keeping the nitrates nice and low which is a good thing.
Changing water does more than just lower nitrates, it replaces minerals and removes hormones.

I have no experience with the medication you write of as it’s just not sold over the counter n Australia.

I would suggest you may have an issue associated with pour water quality in the weeks leading up to today? If it was me all I can do is change lots more water more often. That and adding Indian almond leaf is all I can do for my fish in that situation. Rooibos tea bags are another from of anti bacterial medication we do use with limited success.
You must be registered to see images

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
angelcraze
Replies
Views
Whitewolf
Replies
Views
cooneyms
Replies