Help - Question About Compatibility In 200 Gallon Tank.

1. J

Jordan Jacob New Member Member

Hey guys,

I will soon have a custom 200 gallon salt tank in my condo.
    I have chosen all the fish I wish to have but am wondering what else I can add to the tank other than fish that are compatible with the basic salt fish AND look really cool.

Please let me know which of the following would work well in my tank with my fish? Please also feel free to recommend other cool species that are compatible with my fish (other than fish).

Are any of these OK?

Blood Shrimp (Or Other)
    Dragonnet
    Eel (snowflake or fire or other?)
    Hermit Crabs (Or Other)
    Turtle (any)
    Star Fish
    Lion Fish
    Blue Cray Fish
    Stingray

I have a pro coming in weekly to tend and maintain. Please consider that.

2. J

Jesterrace Well Known Member Member

No on the dragonet until you have a long established and healthy copepod population (ie 6 months to a year) that way you can ensure that a slow and finicky eater has a constant food source. A single dragonet can consume 5000 pods in a week. Lionfish will eat anything that can fit in their mouths so I would be worried about smaller fish and inverts with them. Not sure on the eel and turtle. As for the Stingray? Sharks and Rays are the most difficult and demanding thing available in the aquarium hobby. They are very sensitive to nitrates and will basically need to have a professional plumbed water change system if you hope to keep one alive. If you have a Pro maintaining the tank then it could work as long as he has experience with Sharks and Rays.