Help! Problems since tank upgrade.

1. Stephinpdx Initiate Member

[​IMG]

Moved from the 10-gallon cycled tank (parameters were FINALLY 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates) to a 29 gallon tank. Planned to run both filters but couldn't get the smaller filter to fit on the bigger tank, so I moved the filter media from the smaller filter into the bigger one.
    It's been 48 hours and things are strange. First of all, 2 fish are missing. I can't find them anywhere, though I haven't taken the step of moving the decorations. I decided to check the water and the numbers are so crazy that they must be dead somewhere in there. :(
    I have 4 guppies, 5 platies, and 2 red cherry shrimp. One platy and one guppy are missing. Checked the water today and I got:
    Ammonia .25, nitrites through the roof (somewhere between 2.5 and 5, hard to tell at night) and no nitrates.
    What should I do?? I've never seen nitrites like that, even while I was cycling. Please help!!

2. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

I have nitrites like that ATM while cycling. You need to do water changes ASAP to get it down and if you have prime, dose water with that.

If I had to guess, the bacteria that turns ammonia to nitrite is active but the bacteria that turns nitrite to nitrate may have died.

3. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

If your parameters were 0, 0, 0 in your 10g, it wasnt cycled... unless you had a heavily planted tank. But with 5 platies and 4 guppies, I doubt it.

It sounds like you're having to cycle (again?)..
    I would do a large water change and dose Prime to bring down those nitrItes and maybe consider getting some bottled bacteria

4. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Prime and stability are made to work together and allow you to do water changes. Hopefully your fish make it through.

5. Aichmalotizo Well Known Member Member

This. A cycled Tank would be 0,0,5-20. Your 10gallon never finished cycling, and so your now experiencing the cycle. I also second the prime and stability route, since you have so many fish in the tank already, TSS won't be as effective.

6. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

I had this same thing happen, without the tank change. My tank hit 0-0-0 and stayed like that a while. All of a sudden what do you know, ammonia spiked, then suddenly nitrite spiked. I'm currently waiting for the final stage. Sounds like your situation here.

Luckily I owned prime and stability beforehand, so immediately went to water changes to lower toxicity and dosing with prime and using stability each day.

7. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

Your 10g never cycled. You don't want A 0 Ni 0 Na 0, you want A 0 Ni 0 Na 5-20.

Do a 50% water change asap. Then wait an hour and retest. If results are still above .25ppm do another 50% water change.

You can do another water change if need be but keep it to 2-3 a day. Do this until your readings are at least under .5ppm but you ideally want .25ppm.

Do you have prime? I would buy a bottle asap! It will help detox the ammonia and nitrites for 24hrs. Also pick up a bottle of stability.

Once your numbers are .25 or under, test daily and do water changes whenever it goes towards the .5ppm. Dose prime every 24hrs or with water changes for the volume of the tank until cycled. Also dose stability every day like it says on the bottle.

8. oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello Steph...

Perform a series of smaller water changes to get control of the tank chemistry. 15 to 20 percent every couple of days for a couple of weeks. Feed a little every day or two. After a couple of weeks start changing half the water every week. 99 percent of tank problems are water related. Take good care of the water and the fish and plants will take care of themselves.

Old

9. Stephinpdx Initiate Member

The problems continue...

Thanks for the advice all! I performed a very large water change today (most I could do while leaving the fish some to swim in). As I removed the water it had a distinct yellowish tint, which was gratifying because it wasn't looking that clear to me at all.
    Numbers are:
    Ammonia .25
    Nitrite .25
    Nitrate 0
    After the water change and dosing with Prime. I think maybe the filter was not working? I had put the media from the 10 gallon into the filter for the 30 gallon, and I think it's possible that just didn't work, hence the dirty water.

Also, I'm pretty sure the 2 missing fish are dead. There is still no sign of them and after I changed the water and took out the extra filter media there was a lot of what I can only describe as plankton in the water. Could the fish have disintegrated/been eaten/something this quickly?? I've attached photos for reference.

At this point my stocking is:
    4 platy
    3 guppies
    2 red cherry shrimp

Also I found some kind of weird animal in the tank. Photos of that too. Honestly at this point I'm feeling weary about how difficult this has been. I'm always open to advice but could also use some reassurance that this gets easier.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Threads have been merged to keep all the info in one place

11. Stephinpdx Initiate Member

Thanks Coradee! Couldn't figure out how to add pictures in a comment on the other post. Anyone have any idea what the critter in the last photo is?

12. Stephinpdx Initiate Member

Well, I checked the numbers again tonight. Ammonia and nitrite still high, did a 30% water change and dosed with Prime. Still curious if anyone has thoughts on the missing (presumed dead) fish and what could have happened. Tank water looked yellowish when removed today. I'm impatient to get through this part and have a cycled tank, and be able to get more fish!

13. Aichmalotizo Well Known Member Member

Most likely eaten by the other fish and the shrimp before you could find the corpses. Or they were getting eaten on, got eaten on enough for the filter to suck them up and mince the remains. Or they jumped

14. Stephinpdx Initiate Member