HELP! Pregnant Dalmation Molly??? *pic inside*

andiuk

Member
Hey guys...

So I think 1 of my Dalmation Mollies is about to give birth? Second opinions please....



I'm a little unsure coz she got fat like this a few days ago, but (to the best of my knowledge) didn't release any fry!

Thanks,
Andy
 
  • Thread Starter

andiuk

Member
anyone!?!? ???
 

Butterfly

Member
She looks pregnant to me too but it can be as much as 28 days before she has any fry.
Carol
 
  • Thread Starter

andiuk

Member
Butterfly said:
She looks pregnant to me too but it can be as much as 28 days before she has any fry.
Carol
yeah, I just dunno what to think coz she was this big a few days ago, and then got thin overnight, but I certainly didnt find any fry!
 

Butterfly

Member
Don't know, keep an eye on her. Could she have just over eaten?
Carol
 
  • Thread Starter

andiuk

Member
Butterfly said:
Don't know, keep an eye on her. Could she have just over eaten?
Carol
highly possible... she's like a hoover when it comes to food! the greedy girl!
 

Butterfly

Member
I think their all greedy LOL And they know so many ways to get us to feed just a flake more
Carol
 

COBettaCouple

Member
Her overeating seems most likely since she'd be pregnant a while and although all the fry could get eaten, I don't think pregnancy would give you such a rapid up & down in her size.
 
  • Thread Starter

andiuk

Member
FLBettaCouple said:
Her overeating seems most likely since she'd be pregnant a while and although all the fry could get eaten, I don't think pregnancy would give you such a rapid up & down in her size.
Yeah, agreed. Again, she'd gone down this morning - and again no fry... I guess it's possible they got eaten, but who knows!

I'll just have to make sure she isn't being overfed for the next little while... like I said, she does seem particularly greedy!
 

COBettaCouple

Member
Our platys can do that too, especially if they find the food we try to hide for the cory cats.. Stomachs with fins, that's what they are. Our Platys will gladly suck up to anyone near the tank and do their best to act like they've never seen food. These livebearers are funny characters.
 
  • Thread Starter

andiuk

Member
FLBettaCouple said:
Our platys can do that too, especially if they find the food we try to hide for the cory cats.. Stomachs with fins, that's what they are.  Our Platys will gladly suck up to anyone near the tank and do their best to act like they've never seen food.    These livebearers are funny characters.
Ooohh, exactly how are you managing to get the food to the corys? I'm having this same problem, and I'm having to create a diversion with floating flakes for the mollies/gouramis first, and then quickly dropping in some pre-softened sinking pellets for the Corys... problem is as soon as the moll posse finish their flake, they wonder what's going on with the corys and quickly try to steal away their pellets!

Those little monkies!
 

COBettaCouple

Member
andiuk said:
FLBettaCouple said:
Our platys can do that too, especially if they find the food we try to hide for the cory cats.. Stomachs with fins, that's what they are. Our Platys will gladly suck up to anyone near the tank and do their best to act like they've never seen food. These livebearers are funny characters.
Ooohh, exactly how are you managing to get the food to the corys? I'm having this same problem, and I'm having to create a diversion with floating flakes for the mollies/gouramis first, and then quickly dropping in some pre-softened sinking pellets for the Corys... problem is as soon as the moll posse finish their flake, they wonder what's going on with the corys and quickly try to steal away their pellets!

Those little monkies!
We were breaking up wafers and putting them into the gravel at different spots around the tank after the lights were out, but our corys have learned to come over to where the platys are being fed so they get their share of whatever the platys eat now.
 

Mollygurl

Member
if you think she overate, that's fine. did she have a male in w/ her? how long has she been w/out a male? there MIGHT b a possibility that she aborted, if she was preg. that's what my blk. did. I wouldn't understand why she was fat 4 a couple days, then skinny. maybe she did overeat. hope I helped some!
 
  • Thread Starter

andiuk

Member
^^^ well my partner and I have come to the conclusion that she's just an over-eater.

there's 3 females and 1 male in the main tank, although he seems to ignore the two dalmations and focuses his affection on the silver molly... but it's not impossible she could have mated with him I guess!
 

Richard

Member
Lovely Dalmatian!!.. she may actually be pregnant in that pic , but in all likelyhood just had a tummyful of food.. at that age and size, when she's carrying fry, you'll know.. her stomach will actually get so big, it'll start to have a slightly squarish look!!.. until one day you look at her and realise she's lost that tummy, at which point you can safely assume she's given birth to an unknown quantity of fry.
 
  • Thread Starter

andiuk

Member
Richard said:
Lovely Dalmatian!!.. she may actually be pregnant in that pic , but in all likelyhood just had a tummyful of food.. at that age and size, when she's carrying fry, you'll know.. her stomach will actually get so big, it'll start to have a slightly squarish look!!.. until one day you look at her and realise she's lost that tummy, at which point you can safely assume she's given birth to an unknown quantity of fry.
thanks... well, yes, that is what happened, but litterally 2 times in a week... like I said, i'm begining to think she's just over-eaten! that or all the fry got eaten before either of us noticed!
 

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Log in or register to view



Top Bottom