Help!! Poured Testing Liquid Into Tank

Joe Ridpath
I have a 37gal tank and mid way through FISHLESS cycling. I asked my wife to put the ammonia drops in to the tank. She put the API Test Chemical/Solution #1 thinking that it was the ammonia drops she was supposed to put in. I didn’t clarify which bottle so it’s on me. Per the recommended dosage she put 40 drops of the solution in the tank. I am really concerned about what is going to happen next. My questions are as follows:
1. Will my tank be ok structurally? Like will the glass break?
2. Will my plastic plants corrode or be affected? I assume not considering it is kept in a plastic bottle.
3. I assume I will need to do a water change but I am traveling on business until Friday.

Any help would be appreciated.

Goldiemom
Gosh, have to think about this one. I’m sure the chemical is not good for the tank or bacteria so I think I would drain it immediately. Maybe 95%? Make sure she uses dechlirinator when filling it back up. I think any remainder would be diluted enough and then just do another pwc in a few days. It may set you back a little but better for bacteria and fish, eventually. Anyone else?

Joe Ridpath
I don't think my wife will want to do the water change but I will ask. Otherwise I will have to wait until Friday at the earliest when I get home from my business trip. Either way I am more concerned with the structural components such as glass. I don't think it will have any effect but I wanted to make sure. Also I am just hoping that the plastic decorations I just bought don't get harmed as well as in I hope they don't corrode. Either way thank you for your help.

alliemac
I don't think my wife will want to do the water change but I will ask. Otherwise I will have to wait until Friday at the earliest when I get home from my business trip. Either way I am more concerned with the structural components such as glass. I don't think it will have any effect but I wanted to make sure. Also I am just hoping that the plastic decorations I just bought don't get harmed as well as in I hope they don't corrode. Either way thank you for your help.
It shouldn't have any affect on the glass. For my API testing kit, the testing tubes are made of glass. I have kept the solution in there over night because I was too lazy to clean it out. The glass should be fine.

Joe Ridpath
Good to hear that. Thank you.

wodesorel
I would recommend contacting the company and telling them what happened. They don't really give a good ingredient list of their product, but they will be able to advise what steps to take to be safe. I am sure you are not the first person this has happened to!

max h
go to the API website they have the MSDS's online for the Master test kit. That will give you a listing of the chemicals used in the bottles, the MSDS's are individual for each reagent bottle in the kit.

NavyChief20
1 drop you're looking at a concentration of 1 part per 2.8 million so its not terrible. As with anything in chemistry dilution is the solution. The glycol and sacylates won't be good for the fish so you need to do a set of water changes. As much as you can do.

Oden
As previously mentioned the glass of your tank will be fine. Your water may be toast. I would err on the side of caution and drain it. Lord knows what those test reagents would do to a fish. Chalk it up to a lesson learned and be glad no fishy souls were lost in the process.

On a slightly different note, I've never heard of putting the test liquids straight into the tank... I may be out of the loop though.

Hunter1
I’ve left the test liquid (bottles #1 & #2) in my test tubes for a week, until the next test. No damage other than a slight stain that rinses out easily.

I would have her add the real ammonia and test it when you get home. Worst case, you have to do a 95-% WC and start over.

Joe Ridpath
Thanks everyone for the help. Definitely a lesson learned!

Rtessy
I strongly recommend contacting the company, I've left my ammonia test out for ~8 hours and it's permanently stained. Its been months, and the stain will not leave.
I don't think the tank is unusable though, you may want to run carbon for a while, might help. Oh but definitely drain the tank first

Joe Ridpath
So you think my tank will stain? I really hope it doesn't but I guess I will have to give you all an update tomorrow. It has been roughly 76 hours now since the 40 drops were put in the tank. I will be getting home around 12:00 CST tomorrow so basically another 12 from now. 90 hours total before water change (YIKES). Again I will let you all know how it turned out. FINGERS CROSSED

Hunter1
Good luck!

NavyChief20
It will not stain.

Rtessy
I think if only the first test solution was used it likely will not stain, but even if it does, just pretend it's a blackwater tank, lol

Joe Ridpath

F4AE0D2B-7D62-444B-9638-88E7E19D291B.jpeg Happy to report no stain and the water is changed. Thanks for all the help!

Hunter1
Caleb Smith
According to the API website, its made of Polyethylene Glycol and Sodium Salycilate. I have no idea what those are but I thought it might help. I would play it safe and do a few large WC’s

NavyChief20
Sodium Salycilate is a salt or more closely a hydrooxybensoate light acid. Polyethelene glycol is a thickener basically. its a polymer that just provides substance. the salycilate is for reaction to what you're testing so no biggie

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JennBoss6
Replies
Views
Bizarro252
2 3 4
Replies
Views
tfreema
Top Bottom