Help!!!!! Possible Dropsy Death

Ioana Dog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have an ember tetra that died and I’m not sure if it was dropsy. Three of my five have been really bloated but they were spawning so I figured it was females full of eggs and they’ve been swollen for about 2 weeks or more. Everyone is swimming and eating fine. If it was dropsy what do I do about the other (non bloated) ember tetras and fish in the tank? What do I do about the tank so I can make sure no one else gets sick?
IMG_2011.JPG
IMG_2010.JPG

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
When you picked up the fish and moved it in your hand, did it catch on your skin or was it slick? Raised scales in dropsy make the fish feel like weird sandpaper.

Ioana Dog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Mcasella said:
When you picked up the fish and moved it in your hand, did it catch on your skin or was it slick? Raised scales in dropsy make the fish feel like weird sandpaper.
It was very slimy and smooth, that’s a good sign?

Ioana Dog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
OneLittleBubble said:
Dropsy is a symptom of many diseases so it could be a parasitic or bacterial infection. I would start off with a salt dip and find the cause.
A salt dip for the remaining bloated fish. There has been no nitrites or ammonia for a very long time. Nitrates have been about 20 and I do water changes at least once a week. I did move that tank yesterday and move some fish to another tank.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ioana Dog said:
It was very slimy and smooth, that’s a good sign?
Yes for it to not be dropsy. What salt are you using for the bloated fish? If it is not epsom salt you are causing them to take in liquid.
Bloating can be caused by several things including food not properly soaked before being fed (most flake food does not have this issue but anything freeze dried or pellets need to be soaked before being fed or the food needs to be restricted because pellets and freeze dried swell in water - so if fed completely dry they swell in the fish as well which can cause bloat).

Ioana Dog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have aquarium salts. Didn’t know about soaking pellets or freeze dried stuff which is what I feed 60% of the time or more. How long do I have to soak them for?

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ioana Dog said:
I have aquarium salts. Didn’t know about soaking pellets or freeze dried stuff which is what I feed 60% of the time or more. How long do I have to soak them for?
Not that long 60 seconds to two minutes, enough to it isn't a crispy when it goes into the tank.

Ioana Dog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you very, very much for your help!!!!! I’m sure making a lot of mistakes and am so glad I have this group to help me!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom