Help Posibly Very Urgent Pleco "sting"

DeanTheFish

Valued Member
Reaction score
ok so i had a 36 gallo n and it cracked so while i was moveing my fish my clown pleco floped onto the carrpet and got stuck so i grabed him with my hand and put him inside my extra tank
but he moved his head and got my finger strait into his barbs and i think one went in my hand so two questions is there venom or anything in plecos barbs
and my second question is will the clown pleco survive
oh and he is about 2 1/2 inches

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello!

No, there is no poison you have to worry about; at the very most, it’s just going to hurt and get inflammed. Run it under some hot water, and clean it up a bit, like a normal cut. I’ve been stabbed a couple times before by accident (my own dumb fault) and I haven’t died yet

And he might. If it was a far fall, you could have done some physical damage we may not recover from. Just make sure to keep an eye on him and minimize any other stress

Alex Pasquale

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Lol you have nothing to worry about, those barbs are to help them in the wild from anything that may harm them, they aren't poisonous or venomous. Some species of catfish do however but Clowns, Commons, etc do not.

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Watched a guy at Petco get to comfortable netting a cory for me. He was pretty upset with himself for a few minutes

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom