Help, poorly Guppys

Lolhy

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 87l
How long has the tank been running? 2 months
Does it have a filter? Yes, had the Marina 160, changed 2 weeks ago to Eheim Pickup 200, put media; from another tank that has been set up for 3 years and no longer needed, alongside new sponge into filter.
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 26c
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
4 female guppy
1 male guppy
5 female platys
1 male platy
1 barb (original from old tank(I was sold as a platy))
5 white cloud minnows
1 amano shrimp
5 ish mystery fry

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Once a week
How much of the water do you change?10-25%
What do you use to treat your water? Tetra aqua safe
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Both

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes, 5 weeks
What do you use to test the water? Api master testing kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia:0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate:0
pH: 7.8
Yesterday's readings
Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Twice daily
How much do you feed your fish? Pinch of food, crushed into powder
What brand of food do you feed your fish? King British tropical flake food daily, once again week one feed is swapped for live food, latest was daphnia.
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? No

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 2 weeks
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 1 week ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Within an hour most of tail had disappeared and 1 fin has damage. Now sitting at the bottom
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Separated, male guppy, into a hang on breeder box and added plant for comfort.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? Not aware of, appeared well.
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Initially, he swam around the tank appeared fine. Checked on them in the morning to feed, appeared fine, came back an hour later and the poor little guy was struggling to swim with parts of his tail missing and damage to one fin. A week on and he is just sat at the bottom, swims around on occasion, looks like he's lost weight and seems disinterested in food.

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

What do I do?
I thought he was either being bullied by the barb (I know they need numbers or can become aggressive), or, got caught in the filter. I have asked my local fish store if they would take her? In, they said they would. But, after watching them interact, it seemed it was the female guppys that are nipping at him.
After putting him into the breeder box he seemed happier, not being chased and all, I've noticed this morning he was sat at the bottom, disinterested in his food. Is he stressed, does he have an infection, I really do not know.

I have scoured the Internet and these threads to find an answer but, as no 2 are the same I thought it might be better to ask. I am an amateur, slowly picking things up, any and all advice welcome please

Attachments

• 1623749945626709081334739601135.jpg
    1623749945626709081334739601135.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 16237500253542247760555342099545.jpg
    16237500253542247760555342099545.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 15

Ghelfaire

I would sell him. Seems like the females dont want him around. If you keep your water parameters perfect then the fins should grow back just fine.

Upvote 0

Lolhy

Poor little guy is now lay on his side

Upvote 0

EdmGuppyGal

I would sell him. Seems like the females dont want him around. If you keep your water parameters perfect then the fins should grow back just fine.
The torn, ripped, or broken tails/fins on a guppy do not grow back. Once they're damaged that's it.

Check out this pic of a male. An accidental encounter with a betta. He was one I grew from birth so it's hard to take.
Poor little guy is now lay on his side
Time to euthanize. RIP little guy.
The torn, ripped, or broken tails/fins on a guppy do not grow back. Once they're damaged that's it.

Check out this pic of a male. An accidental encounter with a betta. He was one I grew from birth so it's hard to take.

Upvote 0

Ghelfaire

That's surprising to hear, other fish with torn/ripped/rotted fins can regrow them.

Upvote 0

emeraldking

Unforunately, that's an incorrect remark.
Guppies can regenerate finnage. But the problem is that they won't get the color back at those spots. The regenerated finnage will be translucent. But the pace that it grows back differs per guppy, from weeks till months.

Upvote 0

Lolhy

Thank you everyone, little guy did pass away. I've since done a 25% water change, levels are OK. My other fish appear to be happy and well.
Again, thank you all!

Upvote 0

emeraldking

Thank you everyone, little guy did pass away. I've since done a 25% water change, levels are OK. My other fish appear to be happy and well.
Again, thank you all!
Sorry to hear that he's died....

Upvote 0

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom