Help/ Poor Franz Has Much Algae In His Tank

1. C

ComradeM New Member Member

So, I adore Franz. He is a silly Betta. He’s in a 7 gallon glass aquarium, and he has so much algae in his tank. Any idea about safe products that kill algae, but not fish? I do water changes where I sponge off the algae, but it just comes back. I’m posting a pic of his tank.

Attached Files:

2. picolo003

picolo003 Valued Member Member

I would try to avoid using chemicals. You should probably do daily 50+% water changes until the algae is under control. You should also try to find the cause of the algae, which is most likely leaving the aquarium lights on too long.

3. OP
    OP
    C

Thanks. Believe it or not, the lights are barely on. I think it’s because it’s a weak filter.

ks

4. Smalltownfishfriend

Smalltownfishfriend Well Known Member Member

Does it get natural sunlight? Like from a window??

5. OP
    OP
    C

It did, but I’ve closed the blinds for 2 months now

6. Smalltownfishfriend

Hmm.. what are the parameters of the tank? Algae doesn't grow if it does not have any thing to feed on.. how much do you feed? How often do you do water changes?

7. OP
    OP
    C

Admittedly, he’s a hungry fish. I do feed him 4 Betta pellets twice a day. Supposedly, the water is fine. I have the liquid test kit, and all seems to be well.

dmi

Guys, could part of the problem be the glass top? I feel like the algae started when my shades on my window were drawn.

8. Smalltownfishfriend

Sounds like you might over feed a tad... What are the nitrates at? And how often do you do a water change?

9. OP
    OP
    C

10 ppm- I do feed him more than my big tank. He’s so hungry, and he’s not chubby. If you think I overfeed, though, should I cut back to once a day? That is what I do for my other tank

10. Smalltownfishfriend

Huh.. that's strange that youe nitrates are so low if you have so much algae.. yes I would definitely cut back a bit.. overfeeding can lead to problems down the road.. a fish eye is the same size as it's stomach!!:)

11. OP
    OP
    C

Unless I tested wrong, yes, but I don’t think so. Ok, so wc every other day, and decreased feeding? I take a sponge to the tank, but it comes back instantaneously. I think when we move, I’m going to get him a 10 gallon because I honestly think the glass top on this tank is partly responsible

12. Smalltownfishfriend

Yes give that a try! Do you have live plants? They help with preventing algae! I had a glass top on one of my aquarium and it did not have an algae problem!! Hopefully you get to the root of it soon! What filter are you running on it?

13. OP
    OP
    C

I have three live plants. Maybe I need more? It’s only a 7 gallon, though. The filter is unknown. It’s built into the back of the tank.

ve

14. Smalltownfishfriend

Ok! I don't know.. it's up to you! And ok!! I really hope it clears up! I am out of advice!!lol

15. psalm18.2

psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Wholly smokes that's green! Best of luck.

16. Raizinhell

Raizinhell Valued Member Member

1. You may be underestimating your lights.
    2. Your plants may be unhealthy. Unhealthy or dying plants give rise to algae
    3. If your tank is still new, it hasnt matured meaning your tank has yet to establish micro-organisms that feed on algae.

17. SegiDream

SegiDream Well Known Member Member

If these are easy low light plants and the room is lit by natural daylight, I would try leaving the tank light off and see how it fares over the next few days to weeks. You could also try a black out method but you still need to fix the root cause. I recommend an aquarium plant fertilizer like seachem flourish if you havent started that already. Feed your fish smaller amounts, and feed less often. You said the filter is weak so I advise fixing that, either add something like a sponge filter or replace the filter. Too much light, lack of good filtration/water movement, possibly a lack/excess of certain nutrients are the probable causes IMO without knowing more.