Help plz! Put my new betta in the tank and visual color is dramatically lost in the tank lighting?

Matlin

Reaction score
So my older betta passed and I got this one today, I think I’m naming Tyr (Viking god). Anyways, as you can see from the small container, that was sitting an inch away from the tank when I took this, then as you can see in 3 gallon tank with LED lighting, the colors are almost gone in the betta visually! ****These pictures were taken moments apart, so it is not a physical change **** So what can I change? Would maybe covering the light with a diff color, like blue or yellow or something help?
D95184BB-9C99-454F-AE3A-8098AB23014F.png
66C8B75E-983C-437A-A299-0982D118FC96.png
19CF2BEB-2F25-480D-9991-1E38D2F8EA61.jpeg
82291F4E-B904-44F6-88B5-D7D10EE4F20C.jpeg

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Wow I was really not excepting color change like that! He’s really pretty either way, but did you check the water perimeters? If they’re off that might be the reason why his colors changed (I think).

OP
Matlin

Matlin

Reaction score
julkosi17 said:
Wow I was really not excepting color change like that! He’s really pretty either way, but did you check the water perimeters? If they’re off that might be the reason why his colors changed (I think).
Yes I know totally different! I like it too but wish he didn’t look entirely white ya know? Everything about the water should be fine; the change was instant, within putting him in the tank, so I doubt it’s a water issue!

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Matlin said:
Yes I know totally different! I like it too but wish he didn’t look entirely white ya know? Everything about the water should be fine; the change was instant, within putting him in the tank, so I doubt it’s a water issue!
I would check the water just in case, but other than that I have no idea what happened. Do you think it could be the lighting in the tank? Is he acting differently than a healthy betta would?

OP
Matlin

Matlin

Reaction score
julkosi17 No it’s definitely the lighting! I’m trying to see if anyone had any ideas on that. Without the led light on its alittle too dark to enjoy the tank but maybe if I tape a color of it. I tried yellow and didn’t work super well unfortunately!

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Matlin said:
julkosi17 No it’s definitely the lighting! I’m trying to see if anyone had any ideas on that. Without the led light on its alittle too dark to enjoy the tank but maybe if I tape a color of it. I tried yellow and didn’t work super well unfortunately!
Ohh so it’s the lighting causing this... I thought you put him in the new tank and he physically turned a different color lol. I guess you could try other colors, or maybe put him in a place with different lighting?

OP
Matlin

Matlin

Reaction score
julkosi17 Haha yep! In the title says “lost in lighting”and in description. But yea, it has to be. There is no way putting a fish in a tank in one second would instantly change its color! But also if I dI'm the light by covering it he changes back just a little. He needs some light though so I’m trying to figure out what to do to get some of his coloring back in the picture:)

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Matlin said:
julkosi17 Haha yep! In the title says “lost in lighting”and in description. But yea, it has to be. There is no way putting a fish in a tank in one second would instantly change its color! But also if I dI'm the light by covering it he changes back just a little. He needs some light though so I’m trying to figure out what to do to get some of his coloring back in the picture:)
I guess I really misread that lol. I was really confused and I was going to ask you why you keep mentioning the lighting smh. If his color appears more in dI'm light, maybe try a blue light?

OP
Matlin

Matlin

Reaction score
julkosi17 said:
I guess I really misread that lol. I was really confused and I was going to ask you why you keep mentioning the lighting smh. If his color appears more in dI'm light, maybe try a blue light?
It has a blue light but maybe it’s a little too blue. I do blue light at night before “putting my fish to bed lights off” haha
Yea I’m thinking maybe just being simple and putting blue tabs (like literal reading tabs?) but I figured someone had to experience this before. As you said it’s super extreme in color change! He’s a really cool and happy and curious yet non aggressive fish though. I chose him because he is literally never afraid. I didn’t feel like having a stressed out anxious fish and he’s like “ooohhh a finger what’s upppp” haha!

nobettasinbowls

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
LED lighting can have blue, white, green, or red color wave output. For most setups, white and blue seem to be the most common. I don't know if just placing a colored filter over the light will have the desired effect.

For the picture you have of him in the cup, what type of lighting was in the room?

Was it a mix of sunlight and overhead light? Lamp light? If so, what bulbs and type of lights do you have in the room? (Fluorescent, incandescent? Etc.) Whatever room lighting you had in the first picture is the type of lighting you want to mimic.

EDIT: Just looked at the ad for the marineland 3 gallon, it has white and blue LEDs. The cup picture looks to have sunlight in the background (I see a bright white spot), on top of some sort of lighting in the room.

OP
Matlin

Matlin

Reaction score
nobettasinbowls said:
LED lighting can have blue, white, green, or red color wave output. For most setups, white and blue seem to be the most common. I don't know if just placing a colored filter over the light will have the desired effect.

For the picture you have of him in the cup, what type of lighting was in the room?

Was it a mix of sunlight and overhead light? Lamp light? If so, what bulbs and type of lights do you have in the room? (Fluorescent, incandescent? Etc.) Whatever room lighting you had in the first picture is the type of lighting you want to mimic.

EDIT: Just looked at the ad for the marineland 3 gallon, it has white and blue LEDs. The cup picture looks to have sunlight in the background (I see a bright white spot), on top of some sort of lighting in the room.
I’m not sure how to mimic it I suppose. I have soft light I believe light bulbs and there was light coming in from a distant window. But, the tank is also in the picture of the cup because the tank is sitting right next to it? Without a light in there it gets so dark though. One thing I tried was putting yellow thin page markers all over the white part of the led but it barely worked. I’m wondering it it’s what direction the light is coming in note than what kind? Here is the same photo with amped up brightness and then another view of a little more color of him. Maybe what I need is to draw blues out?
2ED25D4A-B9EC-4624-A0B9-652A40D39CB9.jpeg
098F1AB0-7DBE-422F-814F-22F654EA6AFA.png

Sunflower

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I say wait a little bit and see if he colors up more. My betta took a while to grow into his bright colors that he didn't have at the store. I know it's the light that's the issue, but once he colors up more from being at the store, he might look better under that light.

New Threads