Help Pls Cycling

billy d

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hey I’ve been trying to cycle for over a week and a half now. I’ve had no fluquations in my reading yet. I have a buddy who is willing to give me his filter pad To help my cycle get going. Just wondering..do I just stick the filter in behind mine or should i completely replace my filter pad with his? Thanks

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It can take 6+ weeks to do a fishless cycle, and I myself don't have that kind of patience If your friend's tank is healthy with no unexplained deaths going back a year, go ahead and stuff that filter pad into your filter with what you already have in there. I myself used to do this kind of "instant" cycling all the time but then ran afoul of a friend whose tank started having lots of unexplained deaths right after his donations. Sigh.

billy d

Valued Member
Reaction score
I’m doing a fish in cycle, his tank has been established for probably about a month

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A week and a half in is nothing. Gotta have patience when keeping fish. Personally, Id never take the filter out of someone elses tank regardless, but thats just me. You could do it and have no problems, but you could just keep working on the cycle for the next month or so until its ready.

billy d

Valued Member
Reaction score
I’m clearly impatient lol sorry just heard using a filter pad from an established tank was a good idea. Since his tank Is fairly new and just recently established the cycle within a few weeks I don’t think I should have any issues with fish dying but what do I know lol

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If the filter pad is w elk seasoned, it would give you an immediate cycle. But his tank would suffer and start the cycle over.

But since his tank is new (how new?) it may not help.

But if the tank is cycled, unlike others on here, I would do it.

IMO most illness is a result of stressed fish, usually due to poor water parameters, that makes them susceptible to the disease. I believe most common disease lives in most of our tanks, but the fishes immune system fights it off. When the fish is stressed, it can’t fight the disease and catches it.

Just my opinion.

Lunnietic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
When I seed my own aquariums from another I usually have the media I am transferring sit in that aquarium anywhere between 6-8 weeks before transferring. I only do this from my well established aquariums that have been set up for at least 6 months. (6 months of the parameters being stable/fully cycled).

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Lunnietic said:
When I seed my own aquariums from another I usually have the media I am transferring sit in that aquarium anywhere between 6-8 weeks before transferring. I only do this from my well established aquariums that have been set up for at least 6 months. (6 months of the parameters being stable/fully cycled).
And I have added sponge filters that have been in existing tanks for 6 weeks and successfully cycled (immediately) the next tank.

But we all have our own experiences and take our own precautions.

Lunnietic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hunter1 said:
And I have added sponge filters that have been in existing tanks for 6 weeks and successfully cycled (immediately) the next tank.

But we all have our own experiences and take our own precautions.
It could be because every time I get another tank its slightly larger and I am just incredibly paranoid.

But whatever works, works.

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If I was stocking a bigger tank with say 1/2 the filtered media from another, smaller tank, I would stock slowly.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom