:( help please...

alyd1987

36 gal. bow front
set up for almost 2 months now
2 clowns, 1 pajama cardinal (been in almost 1 wk now)

I went to feed my fish tonight and in checking my parameters for my tank, I saw that my thermometer is reading almost 88 degrees. :'( I know this is bad, and maybe the fish that I currently have in the tank can handle it, but I don't want my fish to be uncomfortable or mistreated in any way. I have put so much money into this tank as it is, and now the only answer I'm seeming to find that will fix this problem long term is an aquarium chiller, and those prices are terrible. I want to be successful at this hobby and I knew the price ranges on equipment that I was getting into, but for whatever reason, I didnt think MY tank would need this 'aquarium chiller'.
My main problem is where I live, Texas. My room is above the garage and it gets the absolute worst venting in the entire house, hands down. It reached mid 80's today, temp wise, and the AC has not been turned on yet (even if it was, as I explained before, I get terrible venting in my room; its always the hottest.) My lighting (30" Coralife Lunar Aqualights) combined with my glass top is probably not helping release any heat, but I spent so much money on my lighting that I would really like to use it. Also, I want this to be a reef tank and all the research I've been doing says it will need this type of lighting.

So how can I keep corals and healthy fish without boiling them all to death? I work full time (40+ hrs a week) and I also go to school full time, and I barely have enough down time as it is, so the whole "swap out frozen bottles of water in your tank" and "put in ice cubes throughout the day" won't really fit into my schedule on a DAILY basis. I'm so terribly discouraged at this point, because I have wanted to be in this hobby for several years now, and I've done more research that I ever thought was even possible on this so I could make sure I knew what I was getting in to. But this particular piece of equipment that I now think I need to buy is really getting to me.
I'm not seeing an alternative route, so maybe this is just venting, but if there are any other solutions to my problem I would be so very happy to hear them.

Alyssa

psalm18.2

Can you put a window AC in your room? Have you tried a regular fan blowing on the tank during the day?

alyd1987

unfortunately no to the AC in my window. I've looked into it previously just because it's HOT in here... Also, the cost of buying one and installing it would cost just as much as a chiller. But the fan thing, won't I have to remove my lighting and glass top for it to be successful?

Brainlady

I would go with the fan, it will really cool down the tank. You could experiment at the weekend with tank temp readings and power settings on the fan.

alyd1987

I would go with the fan, it will really cool down the tank. You could experiment at the weekend with tank temp readings and power settings on the fan.

I think I'm going to try that. $30 for minI clip on fans sure beats the $350+ for the chiller. oh and the chillers don't even come with water pumps to do any of the work, so that's an extra $40. lame...

**wishes she lived in the Rockies**

Alyssa

kloseo

I agree with the occilating fan or box fan from walmart type store facing the tank, its early in Texas ( grew up there) and its going to get a lot hotter before summer is over, I think the fan should do the trick

lanlesnee

You could also run your lights only during the coolest part of the day and have them off during the hottest.

Also make sure you thermometer is reading correct. I have 3 thermometers on my 150 gallon and each one reads different, even when reading from the same spot. They were as much as 5 degrees off from one another.

Make sure you heater is not adding to this heat.

g.low

I believe there are coverings for your tank--think Reptile tank covers--and the only way I found, and the cheapest way, was to remove the aquarium lid, put a fine mesh cover over the top to keep the fish in and safe and blow air across the top of the water. Just having a fan blow on the tank didn't do it for cooling my tanks.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
GuppyOverlord11
  • Question
Replies
Views
Gen120
  • Question
Replies
Views
Guppypuffercichlidnerd