Help Please!! Help 

AlexCompton

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I dont know whats wrong with my shark. His head looks like its losing colour and around his eyes and on top of his head looks white/grey but all of his body is fine. He doesnt look ill or anything because he is still swimming happily around the tank and all my other fish are fine, I dont know what to do, please help! :'(

Prince Powder

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello and welcome to Fishlore!
I'm sorry about your shark. Would it be possible to post a picture so we can help identify what the problem could be? It would also be very helpful if you could post your latest test results for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Water quality issues are the main culprit whenever a fish starts showing signs of illness so if we can get those results it would help greatly. Some more information that would help would be if you could share any changes recently made to the tank such ass new additions, changes to the filter, as well as your water change schedule and when the last partial water change was done.

While I would be wary to give advice based on the limited information there is one factor I would like to address. Your aquarium info states you are not aware of the nitrogen cycle. Understanding the cycle is the first step to maintaining a healthy tank. If you click on this link https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm it will take you to an article about the nitrogen cycle. While it may not answer your question specifically, it is very important information to know.

Once you can provide some more information our members can do their best to help.

AlexCompton

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I will try and upload one asap, I just cleaned out my fish tank today so maybe their will be an inprovemt but I will test it right now and let you know

AlexCompton

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
nitrate-50
nitrite-0.1
ammonia-1.2

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Please read the link about the nitrogen cycle. It seems like your tank is cycling, which is dangerous for fish. Exposure to ammonia causes burned gills, compromised ability to breathe, internal organ damage, and can cause death.

You should get a bottle of Prime water conditioner, which will detoxify the ammonia and nitrites (lethal to fish) for 24 hours at a time, and do daily water changes.

Good luck, and welcome to FL.

AlexCompton

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Meenu said:
Please read the link about the nitrogen cycle. It seems like your tank is cycling, which is dangerous for fish. Exposure to ammonia causes burned gills, compromised ability to breathe, internal organ damage, and can cause death.

You should get a bottle of Prime water conditioner, which will detoxify the ammonia and nitrites (lethal to fish) for 24 hours at a time, and do daily water changes.

Good luck, and welcome to FL.
Okay thank you so much, I never knew about this so I will read it now when should I do 1/4 water changes a day with some tap safe?

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Buy some Prime. Amelquel+ if you can't find the Prime. Most water conditioners remove chlorine. Those 2 products actually remove chlorine ( and heavy metals and I think chloramine) but they have the added benefit of converting ammonia and nitrites to something less harmful.

That nitrogen cycle link is really important. I would say read it and then read it again.

Prince Powder

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank you for posting the readings!

As Meenu suggested your tank is in the middle of a cycle so using a water conditioner like Prime or Amquel Plus will be better than a regular water conditioner until your tank stabilizes. Generally when cycling I would recommend 30-50% water changes daily, however since your nitrate reading is currently at 50 despite having just done a water change today I would recommend doing more frequent water changes to get the levels down. I would suggest another 50% water change tonight followed by two 30-50% water changes tomorrow (once in the morning and one in the evening). Once you get the nitrate level down you can do just one change a day. Ammonia and nitrite can be lethal in any amount so the daily water changes will help to keep the levels low and switching to either Prime or Amquel Plus (at least while cycling) will help to keep them detoxified in between the water changes. Nitrate is generally not toxic, but it can be if allowed to build up to high amounts. It is best to try to keep your nitrate levels between 5-20ppm by doing regular water changes even after the tank is cycled. Anything over 40ppm is pushing toxic levels so you'll want to get that number down as well.

The water changes combined with detoxifying the ammonia and nitrite might be all that your shark needs to pull through whatever is ailing him. Since he is the only one showing symptoms it might be necessary to isolate him in a hospital tank so that he doesn't infect other fish and also to allow you to keep a closer eye on him. If you are able to move him to a hospital tank, fill it with water from your main tank and perform the daily water changes on that as well to get the levels in order. That way he isn't shocked by going into complete fresh water which will have drastically different parameters from what he is used to.

AlexCompton

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Prince Powder said:
Thank you for posting the readings!

As Meenu suggested your tank is in the middle of a cycle so using a water conditioner like Prime or Amquel Plus will be better than a regular water conditioner until your tank stabilizes. Generally when cycling I would recommend 30-50% water changes daily, however since your nitrate reading is currently at 50 despite having just done a water change today I would recommend doing more frequent water changes to get the levels down. I would suggest another 50% water change tonight followed by two 30-50% water changes tomorrow (once in the morning and one in the evening). Once you get the nitrate level down you can do just one change a day. Ammonia and nitrite can be lethal in any amount so the daily water changes will help to keep the levels low and switching to either Prime or Amquel Plus (at least while cycling) will help to keep them detoxified in between the water changes. Nitrate is generally not toxic, but it can be if allowed to build up to high amounts. It is best to try to keep your nitrate levels between 5-20ppm by doing regular water changes even after the tank is cycled. Anything over 40ppm is pushing toxic levels so you'll want to get that number down as well.

The water changes combined with detoxifying the ammonia and nitrite might be all that your shark needs to pull through whatever is ailing him. Since he is the only one showing symptoms it might be necessary to isolate him in a hospital tank so that he doesn't infect other fish and also to allow you to keep a closer eye on him. If you are able to move him to a hospital tank, fill it with water from your main tank and perform the daily water changes on that as well to get the levels in order. That way he isn't shocked by going into complete fresh water which will have drastically different parameters from what he is used to.
That is huge help! thank you so much, i have a spare tank so i might do that but i will make sure i change my water to get it down, thank you for helping me! i dont want my shark to die ive had him over a year now

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads