Help Please! 10 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by NoahS, Jul 7, 2019.

1. NoahS

NoahSValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +10
    Experience:
    Just started
    Hello,
    so if you look at my post history I've had a lot of trouble starting up my first tank, and I had trouble in December, I kinda gave up for 3 month and my tank go nasty, so I cleaned it head to toe, but now I've just been letting my tank sit with the filter on and this brown yucky stuff has started to appear, the aquasafe makes some of it go away so I think its the high chlorine levels in my tank, also how do i know if the nitrogen cycle has started in my tank cause i think that was the one thing i couldn't get down, lastly fish recommendations for when i get this fixed, im really hoping to one day have a steady stable tank to look at while falling asleep or doing homework!
    Thanks,
    Noah

Attached Files:

2. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,153
    Experience:
    2 years
    An api tear kit will give you the water parameters to determine if your tank is cycled. You will want zero ammonia and nitrites and trace amounts of nitrates. In a 10 gallon your a little limited to stocking options

3. OP
    OP
    NoahS

NoahSValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +10
    Experience:
    Just started
    and how would i get those things down thanks

4. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,153
    Experience:
    2 years
    If you do a little reading on the nitrogen cycle it will help you understand it much better. Water changes are a key part of the aquarium hobby.

5. OP
    OP
    NoahS

NoahSValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +10
    Experience:
    Just started
    ok, appreciate the help

6. Pet Detective

Pet DetectiveNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    I feel your frustration! I too had enormous problems getting my tank to cycle. The best advice I got at my local pet store and here, was to add bacteria to the tank. Having crystal clear water isn't good or healthy for your fish. In addition to adding bacteria, it was recommended to add more fish, to add waste to the tank to help the filter establish bacteria. This is essential to establishing a healthy environment for your fish. All the other stuff is also important, like water changes and replacing your filter. I hope this helps!

Oh, please note, that after you get the tank cycled, the water will go clear and your fish will be happy!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2019

Become a Fishlore Member