Help Please Help

Discussion in 'Reptiles' started by sierrah766, Apr 19, 2019.

1. sierrah766Valued MemberMember

I just got a Chaco golden knee tarantula today. I know I’m probably overreacting but he’s in the corner for his tank not moving and I’m worried. It also won’t touch the substrate. I’m also new to this so any advice is much appreciated. 57738867905__BCC93964-FD12-4C1C-AF90-57DCE8298F83.JPGIMG_4823.jpgIMG_4823.jpg

2. KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

My girl only moves when she is hunting or going for water. She can stay still for days. I got my grandson a small pink toed that hangs up in the corner of it's enclosure. It's not particularly fond of moving either. (Unless I'm cleaning it's enclosure.) I wouldn't worry.

3. BReefer97Well Known MemberMember

How many inches of substrate do you have in there and do you have any clues on how old the tarantula is?

I have a Venezuelan Sun Tiger that is an aboreal species... but it doesn’t act aboreal in the least. It created burrows in the substrate and that’s where it stays.

I would suggest adding a piece of cork bark or something your tarantula can try and hide in or behind :) it may not want to burrow for whatever reason. Sometimes they just have vastly different personalities and mannerisms than what you would assume.

4. Ipman37Valued MemberMember

It’s normal for most T’s to stay for long times when there in a new place when I got my first OBT she stayed in one spot for almost three days and agreeing with @BReefer97 add a piece of cork bark and it should feel more safer and if it’s not eating don’t worry that’s them doing tarantula things I have a Arizona blonde who hasn’t eaten in almost three months it’s normal and to tell the gender of ur T is using the molt method aka(waiting for your T to shed it’s old skin) or ventral sexing -examining the tarantula’s ventral area (the bottom of the tarantula) around the epigastric furrow although it’s sometimes misleading as for your T’s age trying to determine its age is a tricky thing most there so many different opinions on this but from the picture yours is most likely a juvi the life cycle of a T goes from egg-spiderling-juvenile-sub adult then mature adult hope all this info helps sorry for making it so long !;)