Help Please!!!!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Nicole B, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Nicole B

Nicole B Valued Member Member

We just moved everything over from our 10 gallon to our new 20.. we added in tank water and tap water.. did we ruin all of our BB? We treated it with prime after it was in the tank.. we had small buckets that treating them all was too complicated. My boyfriend started The filter with our old media before we treated with prime.. im freaking out that we lost all our BB and have to start over... help!!!

2. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Fishlore VIP Member

How long were the filters running without Prime?

3. OP
    OP
    Nicole B

Not long. less than a minute

4. AquaticJ

Highly doubt it killed all of your bacteria, even if it killed some it would rebound quickly.

5. OP
    OP
    Nicole B

What about in the substrate?

6. AquaticJ

95% of the bacteria is in your filter anyway. I think you're totally fine.

7. OP
    OP
    Nicole B

When would be a good time to test the water?

8. AquaticJ

About 24 hours, and then again 24 hours after that.

9. OP
    OP
    Nicole B

Ok! We tested before I saw your message and we read
    .50 ammonia 0 nitrite 5 nitrate
    Will test again tomorrow. Hoping for good news. We are freaked out over the BB

10. AquaticJ

I'd be concerned if you had run bleach through your filter for less than a minute, but watered down tap water? Not concerned! You're probably getting .50 ammonia reading from mixing up the gravel and water.

11. OP
    OP
    Nicole B

That makes me feel better! Yeah it was mixed in with tank water so idk why I’m freaking out so much. We just worked so hard to get cycled that scared we now lost it. We also have 1.0 ammonia in our tap so I’m not suprised the ammonia is .50

12. AquaticJ

The amount of chlorine in most tap water is pretty low to begin with. Don't sweat it.

13. OP
    OP
    Nicole B

Good to know I’m just over reacting! Thank you!

14. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

Best of luck and I agree with the others.

15. OP
    OP
    Nicole B

Today fish aren’t eating like normal and snails not moving. Haven’t since we put them in there last night. Any idea?

16. a

all-out-fallout Valued Member Member

It could be that they’re all just processing the move. Sure, they weren’t put in bags (that I know of) like they were on the way home from your LFS, but switching from one habitat to another will always be somewhat stressful for fish. How long has it been since the change? Also I know my snail didn’t like to move much until the lights were out while he was adjusting to his new home.​

17. OP
    OP
    Nicole B

It’s been about 12 hours. Our snails haven’t moved at all. Only a few have but they are all closed up now. How can you tell if they are dead? I’m not sure that is the case

18. ColmC

ColmC Valued Member Member

I think your fish are just adjusting to the move, you did everything correctly by using the old filter media etc

19. OP
    OP
    Nicole B

Thanks! I really hope we didn’t lose our cycle.

20. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I’ve gone through this before, and it did not crash my cycle. I did end up with some ammonia and nitrites in the water, but a water change solved that quickly.

You probably did not harm your cycle, I think you’ll be fine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice