Help! Please!

1. klutz10154

klutz10154 Valued Member Member

We just got a bunch of new new zebra danios and cory cat fish and now the almost all the fish in my tank have red-redish gills :( is there anything I can do?

2. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

What are your parameters? Red gills are a classic sign of ammonia being present in the water. Also, how did you cycle your tank prior to adding them?

3. OP
    OP
    klutz10154

I know the tank is still cycling and before adding them it the ammonia was at .25 I don't remember the rest. it's due for a water change today. I don't want this to sound bad but is this just ammonia or should I go buy some medication? if its ammonia I'll do a water change asap especially since its due for one

4. Matt B

Imo you can either return the fish and do a fishless cycle, or get a water conditioner called seachem prime and do daily water changes with it, adding enough for the whole tank. It will detox the ammonia for 24 hours until you do another pwc, this process is continued until the cycle is complete.

A third option is adding tetra safe start, I have never used this so I'll let others comment on its use.

If left as it is now the fish will suffer gill damage, maybe permanent, or death. Not to mention I would imagine it is extremley uncomfortable for them.

5. Orion5

Orion5 Well Known Member Member

Hi!

If you could do an ammonia test ASAP, that would be great. It will tell you immediately if it's ammonia or not. I'm pretty sure it is (as the previous poster mentioned as well.)

Daily or every 2nd day water changes until the ammonia is in check and the filter has properly cycled is probably the best & easiest way to deal with something like this.

Please keep us posted, and good luck!

6. OP
    OP
    klutz10154

the ammonia is actually only at .25 I know thats not idea but not super high either

(as the test goes on it keeps varying between 0 and .25 so I'm not sure it's ammonia ) {I have the Api freshwater master test kit}

7. Matt B

Even with the ammonia being only .25 that is too high, 0 should be the reading for healthy fish and even if they make it through the ammonia spike then theres the nitrite spike. I would immediatley take one of the actions I listed above.

8. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

What are the nitrIte and nitrate readings?

Medications are not going to solve the problem.
    Water changes and getting the tank cycled will (hopefully) help as recommended above.

9. Matt B

I agree with Lucy about checking the other parameters as well, I kind of jumped the gun when I saw your aquarium start date and assumed you were still early in the cycle.

10. OP
    OP
    klutz10154

well like I know I'm doing a water change in a little while. have to go get a tree from my parents house lol but my ammonia did that tottling thing between 0-.25 the whole 5 min it said to wait for the test and even then it was hard to read it was somewhere in between. nitrites are at about 2.0 at the moment and nitrate is about 10 ppm

11. Matt B

In that case it looks like you are still going to need an ammonia/nitrate detoxifying conditioner like prime to treat the tank with for now but you are farther along than I assumed. If you can get the prime and do daily pwcs it shouldn't be too much longer until you get values of ammonia=0 nitrite=0 and nitrate=>0 which would indicate a fully cycled tank.

I would also go light on the feeding to keep waste production down a bit.

12. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Rather than ammonia poisoning since the level is fairly low (not good but not horrible) look more toward nitrIte poisoning.
    It effects the amount of oxygen in the blood system as well as lowers the immune system.

The advice is the same though.
    Water changes, water changes and more water changes. Daily. :)

13. OP
    OP
    klutz10154

Awesome thanks guys I know it doesn't help that we added 6 of the zebra danios and and all 5 cat fish and the 2 plant within the last 2 days...

14. OP
    OP
    klutz10154

sooo changed the water yesterday and tested the water a few min ago. the amm close to 0 again, nitrites very high like the same as yesterday and my nitrates are the same too! what do I do? we're doing another water change they be like 50% each time but should they be spiking this fast?

15. Matt B

If you do daily pwcs dosing with enough prime for the whole tank it will help protect the fish during the nitrite spike. You'll just have to keep at it and keep testing until it cycles.