Help Please!!! U.g.p. (unidentified Gifted Plants)

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Amandav1123, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Amandav1123New MemberMember

I have a love for fish. It's been 9 years since my last aquarium, a 55 gallon chichlid tank with out live plants; My boyfriend decided to surprise me with a small 3 gallon beginners tetra tank, along with my first aquatic plants, a few guppies and barbs. I had a one clawed Mexican Dwarf lobster but after 3 weeks I unfortunately found him belly up.
    Enough with the background story, now I have 2 plants I'm not sure the species of or how to care for them (there were 3 but after doing some research and realizing you're not supposed to keep them in their pots, I completely mutulated one of the two small potted ones). There is still some bright green to them but some spots look like they are rotting. I'm not sure if they are still salvageable or how I can help bring them back and thrive. We also bough some plant solution I was not able to find much information about it online, I'm hoping its useful.

Attached Files:

2. KinsKicksFishlore VIPMember

Hello!

It seems to be of the sword variety, but it is somewhat hard to tell what particular type. I want to guess that it is the narrow leaf chain sword plant based on what I can see. What you may be experiencing, because of how new your tank is, is plant "melting" (this is what probably happened to your potted plants). This happens when there is a sudden water parameter change and the plant leaves begin to die off. Hopefully, they'll adjust soon and regrow. You may lose a few leaves, but hopefully will begin to see new ones growing in their place. If the entire lead and stem turn yellow-brown, its best to pinch them off entirely.

Hope this helps!

3. Amandav1123New MemberMember

Thank you, should I trip the top town part off of the long leaf plant?
    And any pointer on taking the smaller plant out of its pot?

Your can see the brown part of the long leaf in the pic with the short plant.

4. KinsKicksFishlore VIPMember

1) yes, it's probably better to cut off those browned parts/ tips completely. The decomposed/melted portions are dead and can add additional organic matter into your tank. This can affect your nitrate readings as well as add additional/potential nutrients for a possible bacterial bloom (don't worry just yet about the latter part)

2) I totally forgot to guess the second plant.. missed it, sorry But it looks like a baby tear or four leaf clover variety, it's a little more difficult to tell. If you want to remove it from its pot, you will have to be quite gentle with it because the roots can be quite fine. Remove it out of the pot, and gently remove the moss-like material around it (the grey-ish stuff) as much as possible. you won't be able to get everything. However, I would recommend keeping the shorter plant in its contained pot until you are quite sure that it is used to the water and won't melt. Also, they are quite small, and are actually a BUNCH of little individual plants held together as one whole piece by the moss-like material. So remove at your own risk!

5. -Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

Just a side note, guppies and barbs cannot live in a 3 gallon, it's just not big enough.

6. BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

I dont know, they remind me of Amazon Swords but I am not sure. If you want to grow plants you should consider changing gravel, it looks very thick.
    Anyways, plants take a little time to aclimate, some plants present minor melt during the acclimation. You can trim the dead/melting leafs but be careful not to leave the plant without enough leafs to keep it up with photosynthesis.
    It looks like you bought a liquid fertilizer, it looks to only cover micronutrients. Plants also need macronutrients like potassium and nitrogen so consider looking around for Potassium sulfate K2SO4 or Potassium nitrate KNO3. You will also need lighthing, without good lighting nutrients have no effect I believe. To read more about plant care read this wikipedia thing:
    Plant nutrition - Wikipedia
    Be careful with liquid nutrients, if you overdose you are gonna have some algae problems.
    And I agree, you probably need a 20 gal at least.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice