Help please third set of fish dead

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes that's an excellent testing kit Cycling with fish does tend to stress them. Hang in there sounds like things are starting to happen Keep us posted.
Carol

nando19

Reaction score
Tested just for ammonia today and it was back down to 0 I don't know what is going on only the larger convict is eating the other just sits around doing noothing getting bullyed by the other one

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do you have anyplace you could put the Convict that is getting bullied? Can you take it back to the fish store? 15 gallon isn't really big enough for both of them anyway. Hang in there
Carol

nando19

Reaction score
I wanna get rid of them both when the cycle is finished and just put an angel or two with some tetras in there but how long is this going to take like sorry if I am being a pain but I'm very impatient

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The 15 gallon tank isn't big enough for Angel fish. They need a taller tank, at least a 20 gallon.
And no your not a pain We all get impatient to get our tanks up and running like we want.
Carol

nando19

Reaction score
Hmm well is there anything interesting that I can put in there lol here are my results
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
pH 7.2

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not finished cycling When ammonia 0, Nitrites 0 and some Nitrates showing up then cycle is complete and you can add fish.
Carol

nando19

Reaction score
I tested just for ammonia this morning and it is in between 0.50 and 1.0 on my colour sheet so it has finally started to build up

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
good! Cycle is moving on.
Carol

nando19

Reaction score
Tested for ammonia and nitrite just before it is hard to tell if the ammonia is 0.50 or one I personally think it is closer to one but my mother thinks it is 0.50 and my nitrite was 0

nando19

Reaction score
Tested water today

Ammonia 1.0
Nitrite 2.0
Nitrate 5.0
pH 7.2

So cycle is well under way shouldnt be long now

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

nando19

Reaction score
A water change I thought that I didnt have to do one untiol the cycle is completly over won't a water change slow the cycle down and how much are you recommending

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you still have fish in the tank an ammonia reading of 1 is toxic, and need about a 25% water change it may slow the cycle down a tiny bit but better than killing the fish.
If you don't have fish in the tank you don't have to do a water change and the cycle will proceed faster. Fishless cycling is not only kinder to fish but appears to be faster.
Carol

nando19

Reaction score
I done a water change of 25% today before I changed results were

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 2
Nitrate 20
pH 7.2

Know my cycle is nearly over I was wondering what fish I could put in there to replace the two convicts I would like an angel with a few neons but someone suggested that it was to small as my tank is only 10 gallons

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You may want to check with Isabella but yes, I think your tank is too small for 2 angels.

Rose

nando19

Reaction score
Hi all a update on my tank three weeks ago I put 4 guppies a dwarf gourami and a silver shark I know my tank is to small for a silver shark but my brother insisted that he get one any way as of today there is only two guppies and the gourami left my water parameters are

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10

Something that I should add is that I washed my filter sponge out thouroghly with tap water but I didnt touch ceramic noodles this was about a week ago and my nitrates have not moved since two weeks ago and I have not done a water change my question is why have my shark and two guppies died I understand that Bala Sharks need a much bigger tank but I was planning on getting a 140 gallon around christmas time so I was going to put him in there when he grew but he never made this is really turning me off buying another aquarium that I wanted to house two oscars in pls help

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When you washed your filter sponge in untreated tap water that killed all the beneficial bacteria in the sponge. Now it has to regrow. Rinsing the sponge in used tank water preserves the bacteria and cleans it also. The noodles may not be enough to keep it cycled. Keep a watch on your water parameters.
Now as to why your two guppies and shark died, they could have been sick when you bought them. That's why we caution to quarantine fish.
Your tank was way over stocked, and even though your water parameters look good there are disolved solids in the water that needs to be taken out or diluted by doing water changes. This water quality. You need to do at least 25% EVERY week to keep your fish healthy. Guppys are very sensitive to water quality.
before I added any more fish I would wait at least a week to give your filter time to catch up and see how the fish you have left are doing. Then only add 2 more guppys. Watch and make sure the gourami does not get after the guppys.
Please consider the adult size of your fish and have the tank they need before you buy them. Sometimes things happen and we can't get that larger tank and then our fish suffer. Let us know if you need anything
Carol

nando19

Reaction score
Oh another thing that I forgot to add was that they were added in the tail end of my cycling and there was still 2ppm of nitrite in the tank when I added them and it stuck around for about 5 days

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Got tired of waiting did we? Until the conditions are right you will continue to lose fish.
Check your water parameters again, if the cycle(and your filter has caught up) is over give the fish that's in the tank a bit to settle in and make sure their gonna live. Then only two more guppys and your tank will be full. Meanwhile patience
Carol

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads