Help please third set of fish dead

nando19

Reaction score
Isabella said:
$60 for a test kit is really a lot of money. Thanks goodness there is Big Al's, lol. Only $13 for a test kit.
Yeah nah but I ended up getting it for $35 Aus from Queensland my last danio died but my two convicts look very healthy they aren't lethargic like all my other fish as soon as I drop food in they swim to the top and munch on it hopefully these see out the cycle :-\ I haven't done a water change for 36 hours and I am just tossing up on wheter I should go change 50% what do you guy think

chipster55

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am not an expert by any means but i find it hard to believe that you can have any ammonia in that short of time..I have been cycling my new tank for 3 weeks now and still have no traces of ammonia..

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Whenever you have ammonia and/or nitrite more than 0, and you have fish in the tank, you should be doing as many and as large water changes as necessary, until ammonia and nitrite = 0. These two compounds are very toxic and can kill fish, and if not, they can certainly make your fish very sick.

nando19

Reaction score
Yeah but my tank is only 15 gallons and it had 6 fish in there

smillermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Your tank is way too small for the amount of fish you were putting in there. Convicts are meant to be in a 20 or higher tank. I have 2 in a 38 and they still are very aggressive towards each other. Stop buying fish, use a test kit, not the strips, and cycle your tank then think about the inch to gallon rule. This applies only if the fish you are buying stay small as adults. An oscar does not count in this rule as it gets very large and needs a big tank as well as 3-4 gallons per their adult size.. If you are thinking danios, they get 2 inches each as adults. This means only 7 for your tank, period.

nando19

Reaction score
They are only small I am on a big learning curve that is why I am here after six months with this tank and I get it going fully I am going to invest in a 80 gallon tank so I will move the convicts into there but my test kit will be arriving in a couple of days so then I will test but the convicts are very energetic as soon as I walk in the door they swim to the top as they think they are going to be fed

nando19

Reaction score
I just got my test kit and tested my water results as following

Ammonia 0.50
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
pH 7.4

It has been one week and the convicts are still healthy but we bought one angel fish and he was dead 36 hours after these two convicts seem to be the only ones survivng, the water on top looks like it has some sort of film across it ???

Tamara

Valued Member
Reaction score
Isabella said:
$60 for a test kit is really a lot of money. Thanks goodness there is Big Al's, lol. Only $13 for a test kit.
big als is wonderful, that's where i got my test kits and my fish..one even came pregnant

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry about the angelfish. They are more sensitive to less than perfect water conditions. It looks like your tank is just starting to cycle.

nando19

Reaction score
So do you think that little bit of ammonia is what killed the angelfish?? But if my cycle is just starting how come all the other fish died earlier

nando19

Reaction score
I just tested the water again two days ago I done a 50% water change straight after I done my first test my results are as following
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
pH 7.2

The ammonia just doesn't seem to be building up so I really overfed them for the fisrt time see if this helps

nando19

Reaction score
Just tested the water for ammonia still at zero one of my convicts just keeps chasing the other around the tank

smillermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
I am surprised no one responded to your choice of adding an Angel fish in with convicts. An angel fish is not compatible with the convicts. First of all, if you have a male/female combo, you are going to end up with tons of babies. Your tank is too small, period, for 2 convicts. Even if you had 1 it would still be too small. There are very few fish that you can add with convicts. They are extremely aggressive and if you do have the female/male mix, they will kill any fish that tries to get near their eggs or fry. I have a feeling the fish store guy was just trying to unload fish onto you. I have 2 convicts and they are in a 37 gallon all by themselves, and are 2 females. They still fight. You really need to concentrate on getting your tank in order as even though you are getting a bigger tank, you will still run into the same prob with that. Try to get an old filter catridge out of someones filter that is in an established tank and slip it in with yours. Also, go to your fish store and ask him if you can have a little (cup or so) of his gravel from a tank. Keep it in some water, take it directly home, put it in a nylon and set it in the bottom of your tank. Leave it there as it has the good bacteria you want on it to help seed you tank. Get rid of 1 convict!

czarben

Reaction score
Welcome to fish keeping. Don't let these problems frustrate you too much. Before buying anything that will go in your tank, make sure to research it first. This goes for gravel or sand for the bottom, decorations, chemicals, and definitely fish. As for helping your tank cycle, if you know someone else with a tank, see if you can get some gravel from their tank as someone mentioned earlier. Before you buy any fish, do some research on it. Some good spots to check out fish profiles are:
https://www.fishlore.com/TropicalFishProfiles.htm

Once you find out which fish are compatible with your tank conditions and your other fish, don't let the LFS talk you into something else. It sounds like you have the bad luck of not having a good LFS.
As for the cichlids, if they can get their mouth around it, they will eat it. There are not hardly any compatible tank mates for them. I would see if the store will take them back and once your tank is cycled, do some research and have a plan when you stock it with fish.
I hope this is some help, and good luck!

nando19

Reaction score
Yer the man that I got the convicts from was very helpful he told me that they would eat anything smaller than them but he said they were hardy so I just wanted them to cycle my tank my mother come home with an angel fish as a present so I did not no what to do but I will definitely get rid of the convicts when the cycle is over. But my ammonia was at 0.5 but I then done a water change and now 3 days later there is still no more ammonia can someone give me an idea of what fish to put in this tank then because I am really out of ideas

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to FishLore!! Sorry your having so many problems. What are your Nitrate readings? I'm not sure your cycle is done so lets not put any more fish in there yet. When your cycle is done ammonia will be 0, Nitrites will be 0 and Nitrates will be 5-10. Until Nitrates show up and all else is 0 the cycle is not done.
Carol

nando19

Reaction score
Tested it again

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

But the thing is that the smaller convict that was getting chased around is at the top floating

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your tank definitely isn't cycled yet. I'm sorry if I'm repeating questions all ready asked but what kind of testing supplies are you using?
Are your convicts fighting?Could the one floating have been hurt?
Carol

nando19

Reaction score
Yeah he was floating round gasping for air last night but now he is back swimming around again ??? I got no idea what is going on here is the kit I bought it was one that was highly recommended here how come the ammonia is taking so long to build up?

nando19

Reaction score
Finally I got an ammonia reading of 0.25 lol not much but it is a start that smaller convict looks destressed I don't think he will last much longer

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads