Help please third set of fish dead

nando19

Reaction score
HI I am have been reading this site for a week or more now as I have just purchased a tropical fish tank and first the shop gave me seven Neon Tetras as he said they were hardy the next morning I woke up to find all the fish floating so I went to him and he gave me two black widows so I drained the tank put in the conditioner and put the two fish in after three days they were both dead. Now I went back to him and he does not know what is wrong so he gave me all different danios eight of them it has been two days and only three are left. when I went in there the last time I asked him about ammonia but he said that cannot be my problem as it takes six weeks to or more to build up in the tank as he said for the amount of fish in a 10 gallon tank that ammonia buildup would not happen I did not trust him much and I said to him that I wanted to buy a test kit so I could test the water he would not let me buy one insisting that it is impossible for ammonia to be killing the fish what makes me even more suspicious is that the six danios that have died so far all had gills that were red roar and I read on the sight that that is due to ammonia poisoning could someone help me as I do not know what is going on and please guide me because I really feel like throwing this tank through this guys front window

Boxermom

Reaction score
Ok, you really need to find another place to go for your fish. Hopefully, that's not the only place around, because that man is truly an idiot.

Yes, your fish are dying from ammonia poisoning. Your tank needs to be cycled first before adding any fish. You can either use BioSpira if you can get ahold of some or do a fishless cycle, which takes longer. Here's some information you need on cycling: https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm BioSpira will "instant" cycle your tank within days and you can add fish at the same time as you add the BioSpiral. It must be kept refrigerated until use. Don't let anyone sell you any other product that supposedly cycles, such as a bottle of stuff called Cycle, as it doesn't work. It does not contain the correct bacteria. BioSpira is the only generally available product that works.

OP
N

nando19

Reaction score
So it definitely is ammonia because I have read that page numerous times lol yeah I have two other shops around but I don't know about this biospira I will try and look for it online and how long does it really take for ammonia to build up?

Boxermom

Reaction score
Fishless cycles can take 4 weeks or longer. You have to have something in the tank creating ammonia, either something like a piece of shrimp or flake food, or straight ammonia from a bottle. The website I gave you will explain it. You can order a test kit online, as well. The one we recommend most is this one: Avoid test strips, they are inaccurate and a waste of money.

OP
N

nando19

Reaction score
Thankyou for your help I am really grateful sorry for being annoying I can't find the biospira anywhere online in Australia that test kit is the one I was going to buy could you please lead me to someone that ships this biospira to Australia and also another question I have some conditioner that kills chlorine what I wan to know is that how long does it take to work like when I do water changes do I have to let the new water sit in a bucket for 24hrs with the conditioner in it or do I just put it in as I put the water in???

Boxermom

Reaction score
I'm not sure if its available in Australia. It might not be. If not, you'll have to do it the long way. Since you already have fish in the tank, we need to help keep them from dying, too, if possible. You need to do a major water change, 50% or more. Then I would recommend getting Prime to treat your water with. Its a declorinator but also detoxifies ammonia and nitrites so they won't kill any fish left in the tank. I do know that Prime is available in Australia.

OP
N

nando19

Reaction score
I changed 50% of the water earlier on a couple of hours ago two died after it and I only have three remaining and they don't look to healthy I will go and buy some prime tomorow I am using some other chemical to try and bring down ammonia levels

Boxermom

Reaction score
Please don't use any other chemicals. Too many chemicals will further stress the fish and most of them will interfere with the cycling process. That's why Prime is so good. It detoxifies them without removing them so they are still available for the biological filter to build up.

OP
N

nando19

Reaction score
How often will I have to do water changes and how long will this process run for and only two fish are alive this morning

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I just so hate it when the stores do that. For three consecutive times they never told you that you need to cycle your tank before adding any fish to it. Ever wonder why they never told you? It keeps you coming back for more fish, therefore more business for them. And who suffers most in all of this? Fish, of course.

And HOW could he possibly forbid any customers from buying any test kits? This is outrageous. You need to go back in there and tell him that, and educate him a little on the cycle process. And demand your money back for all the fish that died and that you paid for - it was the store's fault, not yours.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Most Dechlorinators do the job instantly and for right now that should be all you use *unless you decide to use Prime.  

Rose

Boxermom

Reaction score
You'll need to do water changes daily until the cycle is complete, then go to weekly.

OP
N

nando19

Reaction score
Yeah he really annoyed me when he wouldnt let me buy a test kit but I didnt pay for the fish he has been providing them for free I only paid for the first batch there was no way I was paying for more and also do I do 50% water changes daily? Should I buy a test kit to read the ammonia and nitrates??

Gunnie

Well Known
Reaction score
Definitely get some test kits. I highly recommend the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Master Test Kit. It contains all the tests you need to monitor your tank while it's cycling. See how much your lfs sells it for. Also go online to the PetSmart website. Find the master test kit on their site, and print the page that shows the kit and price (I think it's around $13.50). You should be able to take the printed page to your local PetSmart and they should honor the online price. The master test kit usually runs around $30.00 locally, so this is a substantial savings if you can get one this way.

Definitely do at least a 50% water change, and please post your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels when you get your test kit. You will also see test strips for sale that look easy, but don't get those. Test strips are notoriously unreliable, and actually cost more per test.

OP
N

nando19

Reaction score
I went to him today and he insists that it takes longer for ammonia to come I didnt buy the kit off him as he wanted $65 for it and I found it off the net for $36 and I told him that I have been doing water changes once a day and he told me to stop I come home to find that there was another danio dead but I bought tweo new fish from another shop in town who also said that he doesn't know what could be killing my fish they both reckon that if I don't overfeed them there should be no problem with ammonia the two fish I bought were black convict cichlids he said they will eat my danios if they are not very big

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
DO NOT listen to that man anymore, AND DO NOT let him make any more money off you. $65 for a test kit !!! LOL ... that man IS crazy Look here:

This is ONLY $12.99! Even with S&H fees you'll pay less for this test kit than the one that would cost you $35 and $65.

This seller has seriously no idea of what a nitrogen cycle is - the first and most basic thing every beginner needs to know. Please don't listen to him. If you have any questions, ask us.

It really upsets me to see people like this working at fish stores. If I were a manager of a fish store ... oh boy would I keep some order there!

OP
N

nando19

Reaction score
Lol yeah nah i'm in Australia we are use to getting ripped off over here lol yeah nah like I said I dunno about these new fish I bought the are really aggressive he told me they would maybe eat the danios but yeah nah I ordered the test kit online for $35 so when that comes I hope I can fix all my problems but the funny thing is after my second set of fish dided I took my water into him and he tested it he reckons there was very little ammonia present

Boxermom

Reaction score
You have found out first hand that most people who work in pet stores and fish stores don't know what they are talking about and/or don't care. If your fish die, you'll just keep coming back for more, so why should they bother learning about or telling you why your fish are dying? They stop dying, you won't buy anymore.

david

Reaction score
hI nando .I bought my test kit for 19 pound in scotland ,being an aussie living in Britain I know that the aussie$$$$ isn't as good as it should be..but converting british pound to aussie $$$`s that works out about right at 60 $`s.. (roughly) that's why most aussies buy australian made..lol o`well its good for tourism .

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
$60 for a test kit is really a lot of money. Thanks goodness there is Big Al's, lol. Only $13 for a test kit.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom