Help please, single female Wcmm being chased by 4 males!

SeaMonkey06
So recently one of my little female WCMM fish passed away, leaving my one WCMM female in a tank with 4 WCMM males. They seemed to be okay until now.
They are chasing her around the tank, flaring their fins and fighting each other. I have a net breeder that I could float in the water and put her in, but will this stress her out too much? At least she'd be away from the males...
I have a ton of WCMM fry that I'm going to use to balance out the male and female rate, but the babies are still too small.
I am in the process of cycling a 47l tank to upgrade their current one, but I don't think it's ready to have any fish in yet.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
SeaMonkey06

DoubleDutch
That is the WCMM way of making love !

SeaMonkey06
So she won't get overly stressed by the fact that there are 4 males chasing after her??

Jeffsglo
I would put her In a hospital tank ASAP!!! They are going to stress her out and probably end up killing her.

SeaMonkey06
Jeffsglo said:
I would put her In a hospital tank ASAP!!! They are going to stress her out and probably end up killing her.
I don't have a hospital tank at the moment! Will the breeder net (just for tonight) kill her from stress too?

Jeffsglo
I think the breeder net would be a good idea. Sorry for the scare. Can you separate the breeder net and keep the other fish from getting too close?

Redshark1
Yes it will be stressful I think.

Is the temperature in the correct range i.e. 14 - 22 C ?

I have noticed that this can make a difference to the behaviour. Lower = less active.

I have yet to have this problem as I have always maintained around 20 of these but I have not bought any for over two years and am now down to 6.

I think mine may be too old and maybe too cool to get excited. I do remember males sparring when they were young though.

I have the Golden variety which are lovely. It may sound crazy but one day while watching them I imagined they were really 18in / 0.5m in length and it made me appreciate their beauty and markings even more.

SeaMonkey06
Jeffsglo said:
I think the breeder net would be a good idea. Sorry for the scare. Can you separate the breeder net and keep the other fish from getting too close?
No problem. I'm always a bit jumpy

I've put her in the breeding net, and she seems quite calm. Added some stress coat and she's just floating around. It's stopped the other fish from being near her, so hopefully, she'll be alright

Redshark1 said:
Yes it will be stressful I think.

Is the temperature in the correct range i.e. 14 - 22 C ?

I have noticed that this can make a difference to the behaviour. Lower = less active.

I have yet to have this problem as I have always maintained around 20 of these but I have not bought any for over two years and am now down to 6.

I think mine may be too old and maybe too cool to get excited. I do remember males sparring when they were young though.

I have the Golden variety which are lovely. It may sound crazy but one day while watching them I imagined they were really 18in / 0.5m in length and it made me appreciate their beauty and markings even more.
The tanks temperature is 21 degrees Celcius. A bit hard to keep cool in the summer! Thank you, I'll try lowering it and see if it makes a difference. Me too. I had my fish for a while and they were really calm and couldn't be bothered and then I bought a few more and they're crazy hyper!

They really are beautiful!

On another note - seems like it's my lucky day!

One of my wcmm appears to have swim bladder. He keeps having to fight to swim down to the bottom of the tank

Jeffsglo
OH NO! LOL try to feed him/her some sinking pellets or non floating food for a while. That way it does not suck in air. Good luck

DoubleDutch
Are there plants in the tank ?

Lucas92
Its should be AT LEAST 3 female for one Male exactly to keep this kind of "agression" in control, personally I wouldn't leave her in the net... why you don't build a small floating space for her until you add some more females? Just take any good enough size plastic containers that you may have in your kitchen make some holes in it and use something to keep it floating .

SeaMonkey06
Jeffsglo said:
OH NO! LOL try to feed him/her some sinking pellets or non floating food for a while. That way it does not suck in air. Good luck
I know right! Thanks, I'll try that.

DoubleDutch said:
Are there plants in the tank ?
I did have a really big plant in the tank, but I forgot that I've had trouble with snails and it was slowly shredded to nothing. I plan on buying a few plants today.

Lucas92 said:
Its should be AT LEAST 3 female for one Male exactly to keep this kind of "agression" in control, personally I wouldn't leave her in the net... why you don't build a small floating space for her until you add some more females? Just take any good enough size plastic containers that you may have in your kitchen make some holes in it and use something to keep it floating .
So I've heard. I've been hesitant to add any more fish to my tank as it's only a 20L and I don't want to overstock it. I have a 47L that's almost fully cycled that'll I be transferring my white clouds to.
She isn't being kept in a net, she's being kept in a netted floating breeder that's a fair size.

Top Bottom