Help Please! Silicone Issue!

CMEPTB
So I recently finished a project a 55 gallon with plexiglass separating 2/3 with land and than then 1/3 water, a small water pump pumping water from one side into the dirt and up to the far side running down into a creek back into the water section. Now this is what I need help with so I wasn’t paying any attention at all when I sealed everything and I used GE Silicone 2 totally spacing that it could harm my fish as I have only used GE Silicone 1 in the past. Now I used it to lock in the plexiglass plate dividing land and water and also to coat the top of the clay I used for the creek to make it waterproof, I didn’t put any thought into it until I moved a couple of my fish from my other tank into this one and after about 15 minutes were completely dead, I treated the water before I added them and was confused until I thought about the sealer now what I need help with is should I just go back over everything with GE silicone 1, the creek and plexiglass divider or am I just **** lol. I’m thinking I should just cover everything that I sealed with the GE 1 and it should be all good. What do you guys think/recommend?

Advertisement
TheMadScientist
Redo it all . The chemicals can seep out

Advertisement
yukondog
Welcome to the sight CEMPTB. The new silicone won't bond with the silicone that is already dry, I know you don't want to hear this but I would start over.

sloughdog
I believe the silicone you used is the mildew resistant type, which of course is harmful to fish, bacteria, plants, etc. I think you will have to strip out all the GE II silicone and replace with the GE I silicone. It would be nearly impossible to be certain that you completely sealed over the GE II silicone and there is also no guarantee the GE I silicone will adhere well to the GE II or last long/perform as it should.

BTW, I’d love to see a picture of this build!

CMEPTB

4C036509-2EB9-49EC-95B2-C516C5DD1C9C.jpeg
95907749-B2B9-48F7-9720-B3B93A8A4C01.jpeg
85CFCACD-6E2A-4DFB-A7AF-0B25EC557CC5.jpeg
F0A8C47F-7DDB-4D56-83FA-9B21926106C0.jpeg Here’s some pics of the build! Guess I’m gonna do some excavation this weekend and tear it out and re seal everything, if anyone has any tips for this build feel free to spill the beans with any input you might have!

jjohnwm
Not only will new silicone not bond to old...but silicone really doesn't bond all that well to plexiglass either. You'll likely see what I mean when you pull out the plexi; big difference between peeling silicone off of glass as opposed to pulling it off of plexi. Maybe consider using glass for your divider?

In future...measure twice, cut once. It applies to reading directions too.

Advertisement
jjohnwm
Any glass shop!

Not being sarcastic; just google "window glass" and you'll find lots of places to do this. That set-up will look great after you re-do it!

Hunter1
I agree with sloughdog.

But you can try covering it.

I doubt it will work though.

Lots of work, and looks great.

LeahsTank
Well looks like I’m gonna be doing some excavation this weekend and tearing it apart to redo the seals and by chance do you know where they would cut glass that’s one reason I used plexiglass is because my Lowe’s didn’t have glass that they could cut to size so I had to get plexi.

Ace is the place!

PufferQueen
Lowes has a glass cutting area. I'm sure home depot does as well.

TheMadScientist
When I had my car windshield replaced even they said they could get glass and custom cut tempered or non

sloughdog
Looks awesome! What are you going to stock in it? And where is the pump (and is itaccessible in case of failure) to transfer water through the creek and back to the water area?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Silicone tech
Replies
Views
Salem
Replies
Views
RayClem
Replies
Views