Help please-question about ich/ick!

MoryBroke7

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hope you're doing well.

I thought that you could only kill ich when it is in the certain stage of it's life (after it falls off the fish, multiplies, and then while it is looking for a new host then you can kill it). If that's true, why do some recommend a salt dip for the fish? Would that work? Confused.

And would pure epsom salt do? I'm out of AQ.

I also heard that if you turn the water temp up to 80, the ich can't survive that temperature. But my water temp is usually at 80. And I have ich.

Are blood Parrot Cichlids tolerant to salt? Dosage? Thank you

Deku-Cory

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Salt dips don't directly kill the ich, but it stimulates the slime coat which makes the parasites more likely to fall off and it's harder for them to reattach. I don't think Epsom salt works though. Blood Parrots should do just fine with increased levels of salt.

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thats right, Ich can ONLY be killed when its not attached. When its on the fish, it doesnt matter. Ive NEVER heard of a salt bath for Ich. Salt will not do anything to Ich.

Ich cannot survive temps OVER 86, so its recommended to turn the temp up to 86/87 and leave it there for 2 weeks. The life cycle of Ich isnt long, and with combined heat and vacuuming, Ich can be killed.

Its believed Ich is always present in the water. It is a parasite and only attacks fish with compromised immune systems due to stress and/or other disease. Its easy to treat, when caught early. It WILL kill your fish, its believed by attaching to the gills and suffocating them.

If your fish have Ich, there are chemicals that will treat it but be careful, some fish cannot stand the chemicals. Ive only used the heat method as its simple.

Turn temp up to 86/87 and make sure it DOES NOT go below that for 2 weeks straight.
Add some extra air stones as warm water contains less dissolved oxygen and its believed Ich kills fish by suffocating them when it attaches to their gills.
Every day change out 50% of the water. While doing that, do a GREAT gravel vac as when the parasite drops off the fish it can multiply into 1000+ new parasites. If you have a ton of decorations, remove them, clean them, leave them out.
If you do this for 2 weeks straight, it should be gone. Now, the question is, WHY did your fish get Ich? If you dont treat the underlying problem its more than likely to return.

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I was typing out a response, then DuaneV posted first.

I cant add anything more to what he said, he hit all the main points !

WC's + heat + substrate vacs will be your best friend for treating Ich

Deku-Cory

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
DuaneV said:
Thats right, Ich can ONLY be killed when its not attached. When its on the fish, it doesnt matter. Ive NEVER heard of a salt bath for Ich. Salt will not do anything to Ich.

Ich cannot survive temps OVER 86, so its recommended to turn the temp up to 86/87 and leave it there for 2 weeks. The life cycle of Ich isnt long, and with combined heat and vacuuming, Ich can be killed.

Its believed Ich is always present in the water. It is a parasite and only attacks fish with compromised immune systems due to stress and/or other disease. Its easy to treat, when caught early. It WILL kill your fish, its believed by attaching to the gills and suffocating them.

If your fish have Ich, there are chemicals that will treat it but be careful, some fish cannot stand the chemicals. Ive only used the heat method as its simple.

Turn temp up to 86/87 and make sure it DOES NOT go below that for 2 weeks straight.
Add some extra air stones as warm water contains less dissolved oxygen and its believed Ich kills fish by suffocating them when it attaches to their gills.
Every day change out 50% of the water. While doing that, do a GREAT gravel vac as when the parasite drops off the fish it can multiply into 1000+ new parasites. If you have a ton of decorations, remove them, clean them, leave them out.
If you do this for 2 weeks straight, it should be gone. Now, the question is, WHY did your fish get Ich? If you dont treat the underlying problem its more than likely to return.
Salt does help treat ich though. Maybe not in a bath (I've never heard of salt baths for ich either) but added to the tank it does help. Both by stimulating the slime coat, like I said, and by dehydrating the ich and killing it at the point where it can be killed. Yes, dehydration underwater is possible, at least with small organisms. It has to do with osmotic regulation.

I absolutely agree with your other points. Water changes with gravel vaccing are imperative to winning the war with ich. And ich goes after stressed fish, so it's important to figure out why the fish got it to begin with.

OP
MoryBroke7

MoryBroke7

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
DuaneV said:

I got it from petsmart with ich.

Kjeldsen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
"Studies suggest that Ichthyophthirius multifiliis could not tolerate over 1 ppt salinity (Allen and Avault 1970) and thus salt can be used both as a cure and as a preventative. Salt also helps to alleviate the osmotic stress caused by the epithelial damage."

Noga, Edward J.. Fish Disease: Diagnosis and Treatment (Kindle Locations 4863-4866).

New Threads