Help Please! Panda Platy Bloated?

Yuzucoatl

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sorry for the caps in the title but I really need help. My platy fish is normally hyperactive and sometimes he does weird things like quickly leaning against rocks and all that but I am not so sure its parasites. I had previous three balloon mollies pass away and I was officially done with mollies because I assumed it was just a bad type of fish (which is it since i found out it was a deformed type of molly) I'm super paranoid that my other fish wont last long but my panda platy has been the one to last the longest up to several weeks but a week or few days ago I noticed he became really fat. I don't know if its bloating and I've been working on feeding them less and tomorrow I'm gonna change his diet to a more platy diet. I got two new platy fishes today (bumble bee platys) and I'm scared that if my fish is sick, it will spread it to the new fishes.
This is what the little guy looks like and I'm scared it could be parasites or that one disease that spreads.

Attachments

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looks to me like your little girl is going to have a bunch of little fish in the near future

Yuzucoatl

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thunder_o_b said:
Looks to me like your little girl is going to have a bunch of little fish in the near future
How do I know for sure? Is there any physical ways to find out more about her having little fishes? I only have a 5 gallon tank (which will definitely not be safe if she's going to be having baby fish). If she truly is pregnant what should I do so she and her babies are safe?

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
First, greetings and welcome to Fishlore

Provide cover plants or as she is nearing her time you could put her in a breeder trap. You will need to in the not too distant future set up a larger aquarium as a five is much too small for platies.

Yuzucoatl

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thunder_o_b said:
First, greetings and welcome to Fishlore

Provide cover plants or as she is nearing her time you could put her in a breeder trap. You will need to in the not too distant future set up a larger aquarium as a five is much too small for platies.
Thank you so much for the welcome and the help . I do have plastic cover plants and she tends to hide in those and behind the little skull I've provided for them (even when she wasn't like this she loved being in her little spot staring at her reflection) I don't think I need to get a breeder trap yet. I would say she's atleast 14 days pregnant which my problem is if she has babies approximately on the 26th I'm going to be out on a trip. (My mother will still be able to go back and take care of the pets occasionally) So should I have a 10g tank and have it properly cycled soon and a breeder trap all set up so at least on the 24th (which will be a day before I leave) should I put her in the breeder trap? I'm so sorry for asking for so many questions I'm very paranoid about my fishes being okay and I'm stressed from everything quite honestly.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yuzucoatl said:
Thank you so much for the welcome and the help . I do have plastic cover plants and she tends to hide in those and behind the little skull I've provided for them (even when she wasn't like this she loved being in her little spot staring at her reflection) I don't think I need to get a breeder trap yet. I would say she's atleast 14 days pregnant which my problem is if she has babies approximately on the 26th I'm going to be out on a trip. (My mother will still be able to go back and take care of the pets occasionally) So should I have a 10g tank and have it properly cycled soon and a breeder trap all set up so at least on the 24th (which will be a day before I leave) should I put her in the breeder trap? I'm so sorry for asking for so many questions I'm very paranoid about my fishes being okay and I'm stressed from everything quite honestly.
Putting her in the trap will depend on how much you want a bunch of babies. How long would she be in there?

Instead of a trap some people use small string mop heads for the babies to hide in.

These would work.
00511 - Chicksaw Barbeque Mop #Chickasaw

Yuzucoatl

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thunder_o_b said:
Putting her in the trap will depend on how much you want a bunch of babies. How long would she be in there?

Instead of a trap some people use small string mop heads for the babies to hide in.

These would work.
00511 - Chicksaw Barbeque Mop #Chickasaw
If we put her in there on the 24th then around the 26th if she has already had all her babies (I don't know how long it usually takes for them) I can have my mom take her out once its guaranteed the babies are all born. I'll ask her when she will typically come back to feed all the animals. so knowing this she could be in there around 3 days or so. I'm actually terrified of the fact that they can eat the babies which makes me definitely want to keep them all nice and safe (if they die of more natural causes or something out of my control then that's fine with me quite honestly) then around 4 months find a way to sell them to earn some extra cash which will definitely help out my family. I did find this one trap on amazon but I don't know exactly how to set it up and how effective it will be. I am trying to make extra cash to be able to buy the 10g and buy the food and all the stuff that they need. (the tank I found actually has all the things i need for the tank and some tropical food which is very nice and especially for the price)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002APXM8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A2US1IENPV2T7N&psc=1
That's the thing I found I would like your opinion on it if you can.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yuzucoatl said:
If we put her in there on the 24th then around the 26th if she has already had all her babies (I don't know how long it usually takes for them) I can have my mom take her out once its guaranteed the babies are all born. I'll ask her when she will typically come back to feed all the animals. so knowing this she could be in there around 3 days or so. I'm actually terrified of the fact that they can eat the babies which makes me definitely want to keep them all nice and safe (if they die of more natural causes or something out of my control then that's fine with me quite honestly) then around 4 months find a way to sell them to earn some extra cash which will definitely help out my family. I did find this one trap on amazon but I don't know exactly how to set it up and how effective it will be. I am trying to make extra cash to be able to buy the 10g and buy the food and all the stuff that they need. (the tank I found actually has all the things i need for the tank and some tropical food which is very nice and especially for the price)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002APXM8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A2US1IENPV2T7N&psc=1
That's the thing I found I would like your opinion on it if you can.
That looks to be a very good design.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom