150 Gallon Tank Help please, need to figure out what to get rid of and what to add

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well I have offically been basically thrown a 150 gallon marine tank from my mother who decided she wants a tank but doesn't want to take care of it. So, I've already decided we're getting rid of some of the fish so I can get some other types that are nicer and just more fun to look at. I do work at a pet store so I can pretty much get any fish I want for a really good price but honestly I am a big noob at saltwater fish.

Here's what I have in the tank currently....
-Trigger: he's navy blue I forget exact type (Selling to LFS tues or weds)
-Lunar Wrasse (could be a different kind I'm not positive he looks similar to this one)
-Spotted grouper (once again a guess, he's black with small white poka dots)
-yellow tang
-hippo tang
-Yellow eye tang
-sailfin tang
-two regular clowns I forget what they're called but they're a breeding pair
-domino damsel
-Zebra damsel
-Big eye squirrel fish

I think that's it fish wise I may have another damsel in there I forget. I refuse to get rid of any of the tangs and my mom would probably kill me if I did so they're staying but everything else is okay to get rid of if I want. Eventually I want a coral tank so everything needs to be reef safe which I know right now it's not.

Inverts I currently have and I don't plan to get rid of these but I think I'm going to add some more after I get rid of the trigger are....
-1 huge hermit crab
-atleast one small hermit crab (I only found one while cleaning)
-1 clam (he's the only one left from the 5 my mom bought that my trigger has been feasting on)
-1 enenemy (spelled that way wrong )

Basically the only thing I can think of that I really want is a starfish but I don't know of any that are reef safe. So suggestions on that would be nice. Then some ideas as to what I should do fish wise.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello ewatson,

Sorry to see that you haven't gotten a response. Hopefully someone will be able to answer your questions today.

Ken

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well I have offically been basically thrown a 150 gallon marine tank from my mother who decided she wants a tank but doesn't want to take care of it. So, I've already decided we're getting rid of some of the fish so I can get some other types that are nicer and just more fun to look at. I do work at a pet store so I can pretty much get any fish I want for a really good price but honestly I am a big noob at saltwater fish.

Here's what I have in the tank currently....
-Trigger: he's navy blue I forget exact type (Selling to LFS tues or weds)
-Lunar Wrasse (could be a different kind I'm not positive he looks similar to this one)
-Spotted grouper (once again a guess, he's black with small white poka dots)
-yellow tang
-hippo tang
-Yellow eye tang
-sailfin tang
-two regular clowns I forget what they're called but they're a breeding pair
-domino damsel
-Zebra damsel
-Big eye squirrel fish

I think that's it fish wise I may have another damsel in there I forget. I refuse to get rid of any of the tangs and my mom would probably kill me if I did so they're staying but everything else is okay to get rid of if I want. Eventually I want a coral tank so everything needs to be reef safe which I know right now it's not.

Inverts I currently have and I don't plan to get rid of these but I think I'm going to add some more after I get rid of the trigger are....
-1 huge hermit crab
-atleast one small hermit crab (I only found one while cleaning)
-1 clam (he's the only one left from the 5 my mom bought that my trigger has been feasting on)
-1 enenemy (spelled that way wrong )

Basically the only thing I can think of that I really want is a starfish but I don't know of any that are reef safe. So suggestions on that would be nice. Then some ideas as to what I should do fish wise.
Ok... if you want to convert to a reef later on, the trigger, grouper, lunare wrasse, and squirrelfish will have to go. I'd be shocked if the tangs continued to get along as they get bigger, but if you want to try it, it's your tank. You'll need a bigger clean up crew (more snails, hermits, etc). Honestly, the tangs are going to have such a huge bioload as they get bigger that I wouldn't suggest adding anything.

For a 150, you're looking at a big lighting upgrade and you should definitely add a skimmer if you want to go reef. These will be your most expensive items (I used to work at a LFS too; these are pricey even at cost). Also, what kind of flow do you have now? You may need to think about adding some powerheads. You'll see a lot of recommendations for Vortechs, but IMO a $400 powerhead is ridiculous so I use Koralias, LOL.

You mentioned that you have an anemone already. What kind is it? Most need intense lighting and a mature, stable tank.

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok... if you want to convert to a reef later on, the trigger, grouper, lunare wrasse, and squirrelfish will have to go. I'd be shocked if the tangs continued to get along as they get bigger, but if you want to try it, it's your tank. You'll need a bigger clean up crew (more snails, hermits, etc). Honestly, the tangs are going to have such a huge bioload as they get bigger that I wouldn't suggest adding anything.

For a 150, you're looking at a big lighting upgrade and you should definitely add a skimmer if you want to go reef. These will be your most expensive items (I used to work at a LFS too; these are pricey even at cost). Also, what kind of flow do you have now? You may need to think about adding some powerheads. You'll see a lot of recommendations for Vortechs, but IMO a $400 powerhead is ridiculous so I use Koralias, LOL.

You mentioned that you have an anemone already. What kind is it? Most need intense lighting and a mature, stable tank.
Well right now I only have one strip of floresent lighting but when we bought the tank it was a reef tank so it has the extra lights, protien skimmer, and also some UV thing I forget exactly what it does. The filter I have produces a lot of current but I plan on getting a koralias power head since the tank is so long I think some current will be good for it. Now on to what I broke yesterday and what is already broken, and I have no idea how to fix one of them....
-I blew out a bulb yesterday so the fishies have one light side of the tank and one dark haha they can pick night and day
-Protien skimmer: Apparently its broken I'm not even sure what it looks like so I couldn't tell you
-Filter is leaking slightly, but apparently its an easy fix and my mom has fixed one before.

Then the UV thing is off right now since I don't know what exactly it does.

But those were the fish I was thinking about getting rid of. With the tangs I'm sure as they get bigger I'll find some of them new homes or all of them and start with small ones again. But the enenmy I believe was called a bubble tenticle I'm not positive, we've had it forever and the clowns love it. Although its really small and they don't fit in it very well.

But thanks for your answer I was sitting here like wow we have like no saltwater people on this forum.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A bubble tip anemone really needs better lighting than that to thrive. It has zooxanthellae in its tissues that feed it through photosynthesis, in addition to the foods it accepts by mouth.

You mentioned that the tank came with extra lights, but don't seem to be using them. I know how confusing the whole topic of lighting is when you are new to reef tanks, lol. If you could post pics of the lighting equipment you have, I can probably help you figure out what it is, and if you'll need to add to it to set up a reef.

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A bubble tip anemone really needs better lighting than that to thrive. It has zooxanthellae in its tissues that feed it through photosynthesis, in addition to the foods it accepts by mouth.

You mentioned that the tank came with extra lights, but don't seem to be using them. I know how confusing the whole topic of lighting is when you are new to reef tanks, lol. If you could post pics of the lighting equipment you have, I can probably help you figure out what it is, and if you'll need to add to it to set up a reef.
Well currently its in my basement. Let me give you an idea of my basement.

When we bought the tank we put the light down there in the storage room. Then we got rid of our birds and lizards so those tanks are down there THEN I got into horses so I have saddles and tack EVERYWHERE down there....then my brother moved back in. So at this exact point in time I don't think I would live if I went after it.

Basically from what I remember it was a double light? I know it had a strip of the blue night light and then it had another strip of floresent? I believe. I'm not sure I know there was three different strips two floresent and one blue. My brother is moving out sometime within the next month so I should be able to get to it then. We're also not adding anything until we tear down the tank. We're getting new carpet and painting behind it (we've been painting around it since we set up the tank) and we're also getting a new tank because this one has scartches. So after that is when I'll need the most help. For now I was mainly wondering what all I needed to find new homes for.

Oh another question what are clams for? Because we got them and all but one has been eaten but I was wondering if it'd help to put more in or not. Then also do you know of any reef safe stars?

nate21887

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey watson. i'm a dayton local myself! just found your thread and wanted to offer a little help if i could. Most starfish tend to be reef safe, from my knowledge, but they are semi aggresive might go for other inverts i.e. shimp. I read the fish/invert profiles on here and at drs.fostersmith, they uaually have pretty good descriptions of behavior for just about everything. Not sure who you work for but i deal alot with jacks pets and gerbers saltwater warehouse, both have knowledgable staff concerning saltwater. hope this helped some and Good Luck!

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
haha I work for one of the jack's locations

But you can only learn so much working there at a time. I've been there for a little over 2 months and I can't even keep up with the ammount I've learned about different animals. Then my mom is pretty good friends with the guy that owns gerbers. I'm just not sure because I had heard they sometimes eat coral or something. I believe I'm talking about the chocolate chip but I'm not sure I know we researched before and found that's the one we wanted but didn't get because it wasn't reef safe.

EDIT: Oh and if you happen to want any of the fish mentioned that I'm getting rid of let me know I'd love to see them go to a forever home rather than back to a crowded pet store.

Last edited:

nate21887

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Lol i just bought a new fish sat. from the middletown store lol. but anyway yes chip starfish will eat soft coral and other inverts. the orange, blue, and red star fish so far from what i have learned are reef safe. they stay small about 3 inches plus are usaully really bright. to go with what harpua said though if you want to go reef you will definetly need to invest in a good lighting system. I like the nova extremes but im waitin on gerbers to get in a new model that has a digital timer system built into the fixture, might be worth checking out.

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
We have light timers already but silly me being the blonde that I am I can't figure it out for the life of me so before I go to bed everynight I go through and turn off all my tanks.

nate21887

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
lol i have just the one right now so its not to much of a chore but the timers are good because they keep your fish on a regular routine. the one they are supposed to be getting you can set your actinics, moon lights and daytime lights individually.

crazedACD

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
The Fromia starfishes are supposed to stay a good size and be reef safe . Good luck with your tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom