Help please! My tank is cracked.

MzMolly65

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok .. so my 26 gal finished cycling and I was going to wait a week before putting any fish in but .... you know how that goes. I couldn't wait and bought 3 dwarf gouramis (dark orangey-red ones) who seem to be quite happy in there.

As I'm sitting watching them ... *gasp* .. I notice a mark on the tank ... me thinking it's cat hair , I try to wipe it off .. and it's a CRACK!

I called the shop and they will replace it no problem. Except there *IS* a problem, it's full of water, plants, fish, etc. AND they are no longer stocking the 26 gal bowfront.

They are offering me a new 36 gal and a new stand (since the stand I bought is for a max of 26 gal) at no extra cost.

I'd be silly to keep a cracked tank and not take advantage of the upgrade, however .. do I need to cycle the new tank? Or can I just switch *everything* over and it will be fine right away?

Oh .. and I have the Aquaclear 30 filter which is good for up to 30 gal .. do I need to upgrade that for the extra 6 gals or will it be ok for 36 gal.

All advice appreciated.

eltoro

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
In my understanding you could just switch the filter over and you're good.I did read somewhere that you should wait 24 hours or so until you add fish though(not sure on this part).If it were me I would get an aquaclear 50,more filtration can't hurt right?If you are going to invest in the aquaclear 50 you should run both filters for a month before removing the aquaclear 50.

Also you shouldn't keep 3 dwarf gouramis in the same tank,it may seem fine at first,but in the end you'll probably have 2 dead ones.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh no! That's terrible.

I'm so happy to hear that you have dealt with a reputable store and they have even offered an upgrade. Kudos to them!

I agree with the above.
Switch everything over but keep a close eye on your water parameters since it's a newly cycled tank.

MzMolly65

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I called some fish friends over to have a look. We're having a debate over whether it's an actual crack or a surface scratch (maybe from my ring?)

None of us can really tell for sure .. yikes!

chrisw1639

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'd be happy gettig 10 more gallons. it might be a little work but you can get more fish in the long run .im

MzMolly65

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
eltoro said:
Also you shouldn't keep 3 dwarf gouramis in the same tank,it may seem fine at first,but in the end you'll probably have 2 dead ones.
The research indicates as long as there is only one male they will be fine. I have one male and two females.

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
MzMolly65 said:
I called some fish friends over to have a look. We're having a debate over whether it's an actual crack or a surface scratch (maybe from my ring?)

None of us can really tell for sure .. yikes!
Dip your head into the tank and look from the other side.

MzMolly65

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Treefork said:
Dip your head into the tank and look from the other side.

Cheeky sod .. ;D I did put my arm in and try to feel if it was all the way through, but it's not (which doesn't mean it's NOT a crack, just that if it is it's not through).

The gouramis came and nibbled my arm while I was in there.

Chances

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If it was a crack in the glass the water pressure would finsih the crack off to the edge of the glass. What you call cracks we call runners in the glass industry. Runners simplying meaning that they don't stop untill they meet the edge of the glass. It's only a scratch

Just like your front windshield in your vehicle when you get a chip (crack) they can feel it with rezon to prefent it from running.

Thats great that they are willing to get you a new tank!

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you do end up with the 36 gallon, I would recommed upgrading to an AquaClear 50 (or better yet, a cannister filter). The great thing about the aqua clear is that you can take the bag of ceramic rings (which is where most of the bacteria is) and add some additional ones from the AquaClear 50 (so you have roughly the amount that came with the AC50) and you will most likely be instantly cycled.

MzMolly65

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Chances said:
It's only a scratch
Well that's good news for this tank but then I won't be able to exchange it .. so bad news for the 36 gal.

Oh well .. better than water all over my floor and fishes flopping!

Thanks for that input, I appreciate it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom