HELP PLEASE!!! my betta fish has a weird red spot on it's back

likemyfish

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok so today my betta fish (Gamma) was getting his water changed when I noticed a peculiar difference on his back. Upon further inspection I noticed that there was a big red spot on his back that looked like a wound and some of his scales around the bump looked upturned a little. This explained his weird behaviour of lying on the bottom of the tank (gave me quit a few scares) and only moving when it's feeding time. me and my mom noticed this so I created a account on this website for help. I would upload pics of the poor little guy but I don't know how to.

Now, (don't hate me for this) but I'm a newbie to the fish world so I don't have these fancy heaters or stress relief serum etc. so I don't know what to do! please if someone could help (also might be useful for someone to teach me how to post pictures)

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to FL!!!

A few things, do you have any décor in your tank that your Betta might have hurt himself on? How about anything plastic such as plants, etc?

Is the red spot just red? Does it have any white cottony or white strands from it?

What temperature is your tank at? Bettas are warm water fish and needs a heater to be around 78-82 degrees. This will greatly help in the livelihood of your betta.

Is your tank filtered?

I didn't notice any of this in your profile ( can you update it please? )

Is this a bowl or what size is your tank?

likemyfish

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
okay so I took out his plastic plant with sharp edges on the edge but I think the spot was from a changing when he fell out when I tried to get him in the cup. I've also noticed that bulges a little and you can see a marking on his right side. not a bowl (what should I measure it in?) and I only have a betta and no other fish. my parents refused to buy the heaters/filters (Dad's not a big fan of fish). also I don't know how I get the ammonia percentage etc. (I'm only thirteen). As you can see, I'm very new to the fish world. (still looking on how to put pics on here)

GuineaPigster

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Welcome to FishLore!!!
I would recommend you go to your local petstore, and buy the following. (Try persuading your Dad.)
-Heater
-Thermometer (Bettas need a temp of about 79'f)
-Filter (What size is your tank?)
Stress Coat (Or order online)
-A testing kit. (This one's really good: )
(OPTIONAL)
-A hiding place. (Depending on the tank size.)
-A live plant or two. (Hornwort is beautiful, hardy, and provides great hiding spots)
Good luck!
If you can, please post a pic!

Last edited:

Filomali

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You found your way to this forum, that's a great first step.
If you don't have a heater, you should put the fish in a warm place in the house.
For others: can you put a fish by a desk light, do you think this will help warming up the tank or small bowl? Just a thought.
A small heater (7.5w) costs about $11 here and a thermometer about $3.

Bettas have been kept without a filter and survive, it's just easier for you and better for your fish if you have a tank with a filter and heater. You just have to be diligent in water changing if you don't have a filter.

likemyfish

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
thanks guys

Okay thanks for the help guys. Gamma is doing better and starting to move around more, I took out the plastic plant he has (might get a new one or two). couldn't persuade my dad enough though to get a heater. I'm starting to change the water more frequently (much to Gamma's annoyance but it's for his own good). my mother's friend used to breed bettas so thats a plus and she recommended me these special food that is ball shaped and cleans the tank a little when dropped into the tank. also I have a question...I have the same betta as Filomali's profile pic but he has lost some colour (is this normal?) but I have had a three week vacation to the Philippines and left him with my grandmother (not to blame her,she tried her best but she nearly killed him) and I found him in murky, unpurified water with flakes leftover from overfeeding. now he is a more brown colour.

CoryCats

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You don't need to remove him from the tank when you do a water change that can be more stressful to him than the water change itself, especially if you are doing them frequently

Filomali

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I tried to imagine my blue fish turning brown color and I just can't. That must be pretty bad.
Are you sure he's not covered in something, like the velvet disease or something?

Mamajin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Without a heater to keep the temperature around 80 to 82F, and a filter to help keep the water clean, the fish will probably not live very long and will be more susceptible to diseases.

If your parents will not help you purchase the proper materials needed for a pet, perhaps you can find another home for it with someone who can provide all of the important things that a pet fish needs.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom