Help! Please Id This Fish.

Nenalovee

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hello,
I bought this fish from a local fish store, he wasn't doing so well so I picked him up. He is great in my tank with other Africans but I don't know what he is. There was no label when I bought him and the lady didn't know what he/she was. Please help with identifying this fish. Thank you.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Nenalovee

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thank you so much. My fiance and I don't know too much of the American species, mainly africans, when we saw this one we doubted it was african. Thank you

MikeRad89

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Can you get a better picture of the fish? I see nothing that would tell me JD.

Body is rounded, snub facial profile, rounded ventral fin, dotting on the lower side of the fish, a horizontal line (as opposed to the vertical seen in JDs) and an apparent blind vertical line through the eye.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Can you get a better picture of the fish? I see nothing that would tell me JD.

Body is rounded female, snub facial profile female, rounded ventral fin not in the picture I'm looking at, dotting on the lower side of the fish typical JD markings, google some photos, a horizontal line (as opposed to the vertical seen in JDs) I see both, and the horizontal indicates high stress and an apparent blind vertical line through the eye something else I don't see.
In addition, I see the blue smearing below the eye on the chin, which is pretty typical of female JD. I am 99.99% certain it is a female JD. That .01% is whether or not it's female.

MikeRad89

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I meant dorsal fin not ventral.

I'm usually right with you on IDs, but I don't see it here.

the blue on the chin area isn't in any sort of pattern indicative of a JD.

I see aequidens before rocio.

6af48fbf9e4ec7e426fb7247ce16f168.jpg

I'm not seeing any of those features in the OPs fish.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Round dorsal comes back to young/female. The blue markings are variable, the fact that it is more or less solid rather than spots is an indicator of female. I have seen females with the entire face nearly solid blue. The species is somewhat variable on a lot of characters.

As I noted, it is a very stressed fish. Regardless, it is clearly an American Cichlid, and will not be comfortable with Rift Lake Cichlids, hence the stress pattern.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom