Help! Please Help Identify These White Worms

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Dri22, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Dri22New MemberMember

Planaria or Detritus?? some background. Fluval spec V , New tank, three weeks old. cycling with one betta, live plants, and sechem prime and stability..

noticed these this morning, using the magnifier on my iphone to check the temperature. they wiggle!

I did a 20 % water change two days ago, and did some gravel siphoning.. the tank got stirred up, and became cloudy. I did add a new plant yesterday, a water sprite, thought i gave it a really good cleaning... what should i do now? thank you... this is so stressful.. IMG_40D6758F7309-1.jpeg

2. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Detritus :)

3. Dri22New MemberMember

ah, thank goodness, i guess thats sort of good. I cant see them with my eye... but water is on the cloudy side so i guess its them. Is it pointless at this point to remove that new plant? guess that seems silly.. Should i do a big water change? I noticed that my Seachem Purigen is rather brown, i just ordered a new replacement on amazon, it will be here tomorrow. I had recently added a little Seachem Flourish excel also on Seachems advice, i had called their customer service, wonder if the flourish excel did something...

any advice would be greatly appreciated. I did the gravel cleaning and around 25%water change two days ago..

my reading this morning are ammonia 1ppm ph 7.2 nitrites and nitrates 0

i am thinking also that perhaps the Seachem Flourish Excel may have taking down the oxygen levels a bit and the gravel cleaning also kicked these guys up from the gravel. I have a small air stone that i can put in if i need to, even tho the betta hates that thing..

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2019
  4. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Your fish is in the tank? I'd definitely do a water change to get that ammonia level down. If you vaccum the substrate, it should suck up a huge amount of the worms

5. Dri22New MemberMember

i was thinking that also, even tho seachem tech support told me to not change water until i saw around a 3 ppm, but thats with dosing with prime to lock ammonia every day.... still..... i think with my current situation, i am going to do a water change today, more like 50% and vacuum the bottom a bit, and not put any thing else in except the prime hopefully my new purigen will get here soon, switch out the current one . does that sound right to you?

6. Ann DanielWell Known MemberMember

Cant you just recharge the purigen with bleach and prime?

7. Dri22New MemberMember

yes. i am aware of that... i had purchased the new one the other day, thinking i could keep two on rotation. guess i can get some bleach and recharge my current one till the new one gets here later tonight.. hopefully. amazon tends to deliver so late here..

actually... i just read that it has to soak in the bleach for 24 hours... so my new one will be here by 8 pm..

so i sort of panicked, ran over to LFS and bought a new purigen. the one in the tank seemed really spent.. i did a 50 % water change, and gently siphoned across the substrate. its a black sand.. checked filter to make sure no clogs, its running well. Sapphire, thats the fish, he seems fine, angry as ever, but fins and gills look good.. got the ammonia back down to .5 ppm.. dosed with prime and a bit of stabilty, and some stress guard. Now if there was only some stress guard for me :0

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2019
  8. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Wow, what a beautiful boy! That Prime will keep him safe and happy as well, don't worry so much!

9. Dri22New MemberMember

thank you! he's a super cool fish. Huge personality. He must have been a french bulldog in a past life. very bossy!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice