Help Please, Fish Necropsy? Third Fish Death Within Weeks And No Answers

1. Lionfish97

Lionfish97 New Member Member

Hello everyone. One of my fish died (I just noticed but I'm not sure how long ago, could've been a day or so since I last checked) and my local fish place does necropsies. How do I preserve my dead fish until tomorrow when I can get it in for them to check it out? I don't want the traces of whatever killed it to disappear and have no answer...

2. California L33

California L33 Well Known Member Member

I'd refrigerate, though not freeze it. Cold will slow down decomposition, but freezing will create ice in the tissue which will damage it. Sorry for your loss.

3. OP
    OP
    Lionfish97

Thank you. I'm very confused, my tank is about 3 to 4 months old. Everything was great and in the last month this is the third fish I've lost. The first one looked like he got into a fight, torn fins. Wasn't eating. But I didn't autopsy him. Second fish died of an apparent bacterial infection (according to necropsy) that wasn't contagious to other fish. Now this fish, she was not swimming, always on the bottom, opening her mouth over and over and over

My 20 gallon tank is fully cycled, I am checking my water parameters every week and everything is exactly where it's supposed to be. I do weekly 25% water changes. I have a breeding box with about 40 babies in it that I'm raising off of the water from my cycled tank, I really don't want them to die

4. California L33

I'm as mystified as you. The exaggerated breathing is often a sign of water problems, but if your water parameters are good I don't know what it could be.

How many fish do you have in that tank, and what kind are they? If you're overstocked you can end up with things going out of whack really fast. It's my only thought.

5. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

Put in the fridge, store with ice.

You can have problems with your water even if your water is fine. I suspect that's what happened to me, and it sent my fish into a comma. If you have water advisory for biological contamination or excess chlorine, that might be the case and won't show up on your test kit readings. Even without advisory, elevated levels might cause problems. So can toxins in the water from adding sketchy new decorations and uncured silicone.

6. OP
    OP
    Lionfish97

Ohhh you know, our water is really sketchy. Maybe there's just something going on in there. I've got 2 guppies, 1 swordtail, 2 cherry barbs, 1 female beta, and a pleco. As well as some fry in a separate breeder box

I'm new to this hobby, am I overstocked? None of my fish are over 2 inches long (my pleco is a baby dwarf bristlenose so he won't grow toooo big)

7. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

Cherry barbs need schools of 6 or more, and what kind of pleco is it?
    Edit: Nevermind, it's a bristlenose

8. OP
    OP
    Lionfish97

Oh really? I had no idea! Would I be overstocked if I add 4 more cherry barbs?

9. MattS99

Is it a 20 long or tall?

10. OP
    OP
    Lionfish97

20 long and lots of hiding places

11. MattS99

I'd say just barely overstocked.

12. OP
    OP
    Lionfish97

I've been wanting to upgrade my tank size lately, that wouldn't be a problem. I really need to figure out what's making all my fish sick first though...

13. MattS99

Just watch the betta with the guppies, she can get mean.

14. California L33

Good point, for the male guppies anyway. They're genetically programmed to attack things with flowing fins.

15. OP
    OP
    Lionfish97

Well, they aren't technically guppies. I just call them that because I don't know what they are

16. MattS99

Post some pictures of them and we can help you with that.

17. OP
    OP
    Lionfish97

1c9e2de133b7474f0ea0db16d37f979b.jpg

Those two in the picture are the only ones I'm not sure about

18. tunafax

That's a molly.

edit: that is not a molly.

19. MattS99

I'm leaning towards swordtails.

I don't think it's a molly with that finnage.

20. tunafax