Help please, colombian tetra chasing black skirts

LuccaW

Today I took on some fish. They where a relatives who passed, i know what kind they are and after doing some observing of the fish i noticed my columbian red Tetra was chasing and nipping at my two black skirt Tetras, one is a long tailed. Is this due to stress from moving to a new home today? or is something else going on? I haven’t owned fish in years and when i did it was a bunch of goldfish with most likely improper care as i was a little kid. I want to be sure these fish have the best care possible as they are amazing creatures. My relative took amazing care of them and left me with everything she had for the fish. They are in a 120 gallon tank housed with a common pleco. they have two air pumps, and a filter. please help me

Tigerburp

Today I took on some fish. They where a relatives who passed, i know what kind they are and after doing some observing of the fish i noticed my columbian red Tetra was chasing and nipping at my two black skirt Tetras, one is a long tailed. Is this due to stress from moving to a new home today? or is something else going on? I haven’t owned fish in years and when i did it was a bunch of goldfish with most likely improper care as i was a little kid. I want to be sure these fish have the best care possible as they are amazing creatures. My relative took amazing care of them and left me with everything she had for the fish. They are in a 120 gallon tank housed with a common pleco. they have two air pumps, and a filter. please help me
Tetras nip it’s part of who they are but what is the full stocking

LuccaW

Tetras nip it’s part of who they are but what is the full stocking
1 Pleco 2 black skirt Tetras 1 Columbian
4 fish in total

Tigerburp

1 Pleco 2 black skirt Tetras 1 Columbian
4 fish in total
Ok that explains it, those fish need to be in groups of ten to be safe and hence not nip

LuccaW

Ok that explains it, those fish need to be in groups of ten to be safe and hence not nip
alright then, thank you so much, ill try and get some buddies for them as soon as i can

Tigerburp

alright then, thank you so much, ill try and get some buddies for them as soon as i can
You have a pretty big tank so you could probably get more than ten,the more you have the calmer they will be,it’s the same with my barbs

LuccaW

You have a pretty big tank so you could probably get more than ten,the more you have the calmer they will be,it’s the same with my barbs
i plan to fill the tank up with a few different types of fish in the near future, however im definitely gonna get more Tetras for the tank. And also do some more research on Tetras and Plecos before taking in new fish, i usually do this before taking on a new animal however getting them was extremely sudden.

Tigerburp

i plan to fill the tank up with a few different types of fish in the near future, however im definitely gonna get more Tetras for the tank. And also do some more research on Tetras and Plecos before taking in new fish, i usually do this before taking on a new animal however getting them was extremely sudden.
What fish are you considering?

LuccaW

What fish are you considering?
ive done some slight research to what fish are compatible with my currents and So far im thinking about getting kuhli loaches. do you have any suggestions?

Tigerburp

ive done some slight research to what fish are compatible with my currents and So far im thinking about getting kuhli loaches. do you have any suggestions?
I think a couple cories would be better but kulli loaches are fine just not that both need to be in groups too

LuccaW

I think a couple cories would be better but kulli loaches are fine just not that both need to be in groups too
ill look into them, thanks again for the help

A201

In a 120 g. Kuhlis might be a little small & unnoticeable. Maybe go for a group of a bigger Loach species, such as YoYo's or Zebras.
A big group of Columbians look great in a XL tank. I keep 12 of them in my 120 g. along with 12 Diamond Tetras.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Chiasmodon
  • EpictheHamster
  • Tetras
Replies
Views
EpictheHamster
Replies
Views
DuaneV