HELP please Betta Sick Little Daughters Fish

DanFish

PLEASE see attached. I know it’s only a betta but my young daughters first fish and part of family. Usually swims up to us and on bottom of tank. There is a white “tail” off its side when hes swimming. Can’t tell if infection or cut itself
SEE ATTACHED
Water Quality is fine
There are “suds” on top that are not bubbles
only changes are
1. put silk plant in two days ago
2. had almond leaves in a week ago but he seemed fine bubble nests etc
3;Five Gallon Tank

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED
PLEASE SEE ”Tail”
thank you!

Attachments

• 378E2682-D101-45CF-993D-0A085A035C1D.jpeg
    378E2682-D101-45CF-993D-0A085A035C1D.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 26

DanFish

Is there anything sharp in this tank? Do you know your water parameters? What is your water change schedule? It may just be a bit of fin rot.
Thanks for getting back
1. water is perfect according API test
2. Did 25% water change a week ago
3. there is a lighthouse that could be sharp

so to you eat all kindly please share
1.how does someone treat fin rot?
2. how does a fish survive a cut?

Mii

What is "perfect"? What are your specific water parameters?

Ghelfaire

Fin rot is one of the easiest things to fix. Just keep the water pristine. The fin will heal itself over time. I would do a 50% water change every week.
If the lighthouse feel sharp to you it's too sharp for them.

DanFish

Thanks all. I’m kinda new to this but read forums everyday and study
I’ll give you water specs below API Test Strips 5 in 1
0 NO3
0 NO2
7 PH
40 KH
60 GH
BUT COUKD YOU SEE THIS TAIL SKIN SLUVER IN PICTURE

Attachments

• 10F86CE4-E5BE-4F35-B902-4919EDA4D04F.jpeg
    10F86CE4-E5BE-4F35-B902-4919EDA4D04F.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 14

Mii

Thanks all. I’m kinda new to this but read forums everyday and study
I’ll give you water specs below API Test Strips 5 in 1
0 NO3
0 NO2
7 PH
40 KH
60 GH
BUT COUKD YOU SEE THIS TAIL SKIN SLUVER IN PICTURE
Do those have an ammonia (NH3/NH4) test too or just an nitrite(NO2) and nitrate(NO3)? Judging by the fact that you have zero nitrate I'm feeling like the tank may no be cycled, which could mean you have a lot of ammonia making your fish sick. Or you've got a lot of live plants that are processing it before any beneficial bacteria convert it into nitrite and then nitrate, but that takes a LOT of plants in a very understocked tank so live plants won't be enough for most aquariums.

Dunk2

Agree with Mii. . . If you don’t have an ammonia test kit, you should get one. I prefer the API liquid test kits over test strips.

How long has your tank been running?

DanFish

Thanks for getting back ..
I thought API test covered ammonia but I guess not. Im learning the downside of Petsmart the hard way.
Data Points
- No live plants
_ the cycling point is a good one. Transferred from 1 gallon tank to this.they should have never sold me 1 gallon for betta

either in this thread or another it looms like it is long white strand of poop,and the end result of that condition is not good

Mii

Get an ammonia test ASAP or take it in to your LFS to get it tested. Also since we have no way of knowing the ammonia levels but since there's no nitrate it's a good chance your tank isn't cycled, meaning there's probably a LOT of ammonia. So do a BIG water change right away.

DanFish

regardless of outcome of fishy ..you all have been terrific in a stressful time thank you. Had no idea API 5 Test Strips did not include ammonia. 1130 in East coast and I just ordered 6 gallons of water to be delivered tonight.

Mii

regardless of outcome of fishy ..you all have been terrific in a stressful time thank you. Had no idea API 5 Test Strips did not include ammonia. 1130 in East coast and I just ordered 6 gallons of water to be delivered tonight.
You order water? U know u can just remove the chlorine from tap water with a water conditioner right? Also get the API Master Test Kit, it comes with liquid tests(including ammonia) which are(supposedly) better.

BigManAquatics

The "tail" looks like poop.

Rose of Sharon

Hi,

I don't know what water conditioner you use, but Prime by Seachem is really good. It will acutally detoxify lower levels of ammonia and nitrite.

Also please don't panic over the long white poop. It doesn't always mean that the betta has internal parasites. Sometimes it happens with a change of food, or if he hasn't been eating a lot. It can actually be just a fecal cast.

Noroomforshoe

You can add some aquarium salt to give him some electro lights, Feed garlic enhanced food for health benifits, Does he eat pellet food? soak it in some garlic past, you can buy the paste, or make a paste with garlic powder and a little water. Daphnia is also very healthy for bettas, live is the best, frozen is great, freeze dried is good too, always soak dried food in tank water before feeding, even pellets. Make sure the temp is stable and close to 80 degrees. Good luck!

Mii

Is it just me, or does that betta look kinda bloated? Maybe it's just the picture?

DanFish

Hi all…super late in the East
1. thank you
2. I’m a good Dad if nothing :)
3. I’m just getting to these notes and took some action steps…
did a BIG water change as suggested ..maybe too big…put Fishy in bag and the back in…poop came off somewhere in process. I know ..a lot of stress…but he was not doing well at all

the learning/ unfortunate part is I don’t think it was Ammonia. The fish is for my daughter but I’ve fell in love with him and take really good care of him.
to answer questions above
1. yes getting API TEST kit in morning per your suggestion
2. yes, I use Poland spring water..yes…I know he’s country club fish…reason I haven’t done tap but need to go that direction. Hear prime is great
3.Food interesting and maybe the issue. Fed bloodworms out of canistter..or flakes. Lately his been all over the flakes since last night. I go Zoomed Mysis, Daphnia, Blood worm wheel and gave him Daphia and Mysis for first time. I don’t think he liked Daphia ..but did Mysis. Never saw him swim away from food

SO where are we ..he’s back in tank hiding in back. I’m not planning on feeding him for 24 hours..(?)

I may sound like I know what I’m doing ..or NOT..reading and learning as I go

i do, btw, have some crazy theories
could be food
could be soap on my hands
could be something feel in tank ie. paper
foul play

wjo knows..usually the right answer is the simpliest
see if he makes it..I sure hope so..love the little guy

by the way..this fish is one tough mother fish

Dunk2

Hi all…super late in the East
1. thank you
2. I’m a good Dad if nothing :)
3. I’m just getting to these notes and took some action steps…
did a BIG water change as suggested ..maybe too big…put Fishy in bag and the back in…poop came off somewhere in process. I know ..a lot of stress…but he was not doing well at all

the learning/ unfortunate part is I don’t think it was Ammonia. The fish is for my daughter but I’ve fell in love with him and take really good care of him.
to answer questions above
1. yes getting API TEST kit in morning per your suggestion
2. yes, I use Poland spring water..yes…I know he’s country club fish…reason I haven’t done tap but need to go that direction. Hear prime is great
3.Food interesting and maybe the issue. Fed bloodworms out of canistter..or flakes. Lately his been all over the flakes since last night. I go Zoomed Mysis, Daphnia, Blood worm wheel and gave him Daphia and Mysis for first time. I don’t think he liked Daphia ..but did Mysis. Never saw him swim away from food

SO where are we ..he’s back in tank hiding in back. I’m not planning on feeding him for 24 hours..(?)

I may sound like I know what I’m doing ..or NOT..reading and learning as I go

i do, btw, have some crazy theories
could be food
could be soap on my hands
could be something feel in tank ie. paper
foul play

wjo knows..usually the right answer is the simpliest
see if he makes it..I sure hope so..love the little guy

by the way..this fish is one tough mother fish
Unless I missed it, you haven’t said how long this tank’s been running (I asked in one of the posts above).

Any time a fish seems to be acting strange, I suggest starting with a possible water quality problem. So I’ll be curious to see your API (liquid) test result. If no one has recommended it, the API Master Test kit is most often suggested. Because you just did a large water change, understand that your initial test results will likely be much different than the water parameters prior to the change.

Do you have a concern about your tap water that’s causing you to use spring water? Assuming you bought the fish locally, it was likely used to the local tap water. And when you do water changes, there’s no need to remove the fish from the tank. . . So long as you temperature match the water you’re adding, removing the fish actually causes more stress IMO.

DanFish

Unless I missed it, you haven’t said how long this tank’s been running (I asked in one of the posts above).

Any time a fish seems to be acting strange, I suggest starting with a possible water quality problem. So I’ll be curious to see your API (liquid) test result. If no one has recommended it, the API Master Test kit is most often suggested. Because you just did a large water change, understand that your initial test results will likely be much different than the water parameters prior to the change.

Do you have a concern about your tap water that’s causing you to use spring water? Assuming you bought the fish locally, it was likely used to the local tap water. And when you do water changes, there’s no need to remove the fish from the tank. . . So long as you temperature match the water you’re adding, removing the fish actually causes more stress IMO.
Yes, APIMT being bought today.
Thisntank been running two weeks…brought gravel, plants etc over from other tank. Did not know/ store didn’t explain cycling time.. so this tank only cycled for a few days. I did letnold filter run in new tank Also,
I never usually take fish out during water changes
thank you!
WOKE UP TODAY…FISHY SWIMMING CLOSE TO NORMAL….FINGERS CROSSED!

Noroomforshoe

Sounds like you are doing a great job!, Best of luck to the three of you!

Fisch

By the way, why do you take Fishy out of the tank during water changes? Just try to understand.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
NickAu
Replies
Views
Bwood22
Replies
Views
WRWAquarium
Replies
Views