Help Please Bad Smelling Water

2Fishaddicts

New Member
Member
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Location
New york
Experience
Just started
Ok so I have a 30G tank (My first tank) I have 1 pleco 1 laced catfish, a few shrimp, and 4 side stripe tetra ..the water is clear there are not any dead fish and the not a lot of waste yet the water smells so bad it is smelling up my whole apartment. Any ideas or advice?
 

Attachments

Caleb Smith

Active Member
Member
Messages
454
Reaction score
174
Location
Tampa
Experience
1 year
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but most, if not all, plecos get far too big and have too heavy of a bioload for a 30 gallon.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4
OP
2

2Fishaddicts

New Member
Member
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Location
New york
Experience
Just started
david1978 said:
Do you hnow you water parameters
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate

I used one of the 5 in 1 test strips I thought it was ok but maybe I'm reading it wrong
 

corywand

Well Known
Member
Messages
621
Reaction score
166
Experience
Just started
2Fishaddicts said:
I used one of the 5 in 1 test strips I thought it was ok but maybe I'm reading it wrong
What were the parameters according to the test kit?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6
OP
2

2Fishaddicts

New Member
Member
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Location
New york
Experience
Just started
Caleb Smith said:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but most, if not all, plecos get far too big and have too heavy of a bioload for a 30 gallon.
I'm not sure he is only about 4 inches, I'm new to this so I'm still learning.
 

corywand

Well Known
Member
Messages
621
Reaction score
166
Experience
Just started
2Fishaddicts said:
I'm not sure he is only about 4 inches, I'm new to this so I'm still learning.
Plecos tend do be messier fish that produce more waste than others their size.
Also, we were all new once. (I still am.) We’re definitely all still learning.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8
OP
2

2Fishaddicts

New Member
Member
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Location
New york
Experience
Just started
corywand said:
What were the parameters according to the test kit?
I just did it again I took a picture here it is

corywand said:
Plecos tend do be messier fish that produce more waste than others their size.
Also, we were all new once. (I still am.) We’re definitely all still learning.
Yes definitely are, thank you for the information that could be the problem.
 

Attachments

corywand

Well Known
Member
Messages
621
Reaction score
166
Experience
Just started
You have no nitrites or nitrates. That probably means that your tank isn’t cycled yet. The nitrogen cycle, (which is what we talk about when we talk about cycles) involves beneficial bacteria growing in your filter. Those bacteria first turn ammonia (which most test strips don’t test for) into nitrites, and then into nitrates. Nitrates are removed by water changes. Your tank hasn’t been set up for long enough to grow those beneficial bacteria yet.
 

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,321
Reaction score
6,609
Location
NJ
Experience
More than 10 years
How often do you do partial water changes?
 

fishes were wishes

Active Member
Member
Messages
214
Reaction score
79
Experience
1 year
Nice looking tank.

You should get some Seachem Prime, or another ammonia and nitrite detoxifier until your fish get settled in. You should also make sure to change the water with treated water as often as possible for now. I think small percentages frequently works best.

A fish tank shouldn't smell very much. Mine smells a bit like wet dirt.

The lucky bamboo you have needs it's leaves out of the water or they will rot off and the pleco will grow to be way too large for your tank, but those are long term problems.

I think the water changes and regular vacuuming (with a syphon) will help with the smell, until then you could light an incense or something.
 

Marco Rodriguez

Well Known
Member
Messages
530
Reaction score
103
Location
Philadelphia, PA
Experience
1 year
Caleb Smith said:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but most, if not all, plecos get far too big and have too heavy of a bioload for a 30 gallon.

Depends on the species.

Rubber lip and Bristlenose Pleco stay around 3-4” OP could easily get away with one in a 30Gallon

2Fishaddicts said:
I'm not sure he is only about 4 inches, I'm new to this so I'm still learning.
Do you know what kind of Pleco
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #13
OP
2

2Fishaddicts

New Member
Member
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Location
New york
Experience
Just started
Marco Rodriguez said:
Do you know what kind of Pleco
I' not to sure, I got him at a Pet Supplies plus they had tons of them it only said pleco[/QUOTE]

fishes were wishes said:
Nice looking tank.

You should get some Seachem Prime, or another ammonia and nitrite detoxifier until your fish get settled in. You should also make sure to change the water with treated water as often as possible for now. I think small percentages frequently works best.

A fish tank shouldn't smell very much. Mine smells a bit like wet dirt.

The lucky bamboo you have needs it's leaves out of the water or they will rot off and the pleco will grow to be way too large for your tank, but those are long term problems.

I think the water changes and regular vacuuming (with a syphon) will help with the smell, until then you could light an incense or something.
Very helpful thank You!

DarkOne said:
How often do you do partial water changes?
Every other week, is this not enough? If so how often should I and how much water

corywand said:
You have no nitrites or nitrates. That probably means that your tank isn’t cycled yet. The nitrogen cycle, (which is what we talk about when we talk about cycles) involves beneficial bacteria growing in your filter. Those bacteria first turn ammonia (which most test strips don’t test for) into nitrites, and then into nitrates. Nitrates are removed by water changes. Your tank hasn’t been set up for long enough to grow those beneficial bacteria yet.
Oh ok, I see now, yeah it's only been about 3 weeks very helpful thank you I will look up how to cycle a tank. What do you recommend to use to cycle my tank?

2211Nighthawk said:
How long has it been set up and when was the last time you cleaned the filter? How did you do it?
It' been up for about 3 weeks I just recently moved so I had to take it down and put it back up, I just changed the filter the other day I have just a basic 2 sided filter. Is there a certain way to do this?
 

Jasonspielman

New Member
Member
Messages
30
Reaction score
9
Experience
2 years
Caleb Smith said:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but most, if not all, plecos get far too big and have too heavy of a bioload for a 30 gallon.
It depends on what typed of pleco is being kept, a common will get to big but it will take a while. My pleco has grown to about 8 inches through 4 years. But assesntially, you are correct

Marco Rodriguez said:
Depends on the species.

Rubber lip and Bristlenose Pleco stay around 3-4” OP could easily get away with one in a 30Gallon



Do you know what kind of Pleco
Rubber lip and brstlenose still get pretty big I'm pretty sure

Jasonspielman said:
Rubber lip and brstlenose still get pretty big I'm pretty sure
And eitherway they will get bigger than 3 - 4 inches

Do you have any driftwood in your tank? that could be the cause. eitherway fish tanks smell normally, you can't avoid it.
correct me if I'm wrong
 

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,106
Reaction score
3,189
Location
Manitoba Canada
Experience
5 to 10 years
Jasonspielman said:
Do you have any driftwood in your tank? that could be the cause. eitherway fish tanks smell normally, you can't avoid it.
correct me if I'm wrong
They shouldn’t. A wet/earthy kinda smell is normal but you should have to stick you head in the tank to smell it. I have a big 65 in my living room and I never smell it unless I’m tearing the canister filter apart. A well maintained tank has no noticeable smell.

2Fishaddicts said:
I' not to sure, I got him at a Pet Supplies plus they had tons of them it only said pleco
It' been up for about 3 weeks I just recently moved so I had to take it down and put it back up, I just changed the filter the other day I have just a basic 2 sided filter. Is there a certain way to do this?[/QUOTE]

Dont throw the cartridge out, you’ll loose what ever cycles you have started. Rinse it /swish it out under a bucket of tank water, NOT tap water. When you need to replace the cartridge, wait until it’s almaot falling apart. Then cut it apart to save the foam/mesh part and stuff that in behind the new cartridge. You might go through a small cycle but it won’t restart the tank at least.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #16
OP
2

2Fishaddicts

New Member
Member
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Location
New york
Experience
Just started
Jasonspielman said:
Do you have any driftwood in your tank? that could be the cause. eitherway fish tanks smell normally, you can't avoid it.
correct me if I'm wrong
No, no drift wood I have some lucky bamboo and a couple moss balls, yeah but this is a very strong odor

2211Nighthawk said:
They shouldn’t. A wet/earthy kinda smell is normal but you should have to stick you head in the tank to smell it. I have a big 65 in my living room and I never smell it unless I’m tearing the canister filter apart. A well maintained tank has no noticeable smell.


It' been up for about 3 weeks I just recently moved so I had to take it down and put it back up, I just changed the filter the other day I have just a basic 2 sided filter. Is there a certain way to do this?
Dont throw the cartridge out, you’ll loose what ever cycles you have started. Rinse it /swish it out under a bucket of tank water, NOT tap water. When you need to replace the cartridge, wait until it’s almaot falling apart. Then cut it apart to save the foam/mesh part and stuff that in behind the new cartridge. You might go through a small cycle but it won’t restart the tank at least.


Oh ok see that might be the problem I just throw away the dirty cartridges. Also what should I put inside the cartridges, I just put the small bag of carbon it comes with
 

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,106
Reaction score
3,189
Location
Manitoba Canada
Experience
5 to 10 years
2Fishaddicts said:
Oh ok see that might be the problem I just throw away the dirty cartridges. Also what should I put inside the cartridges, I just put the small bag of carbon it comes with
Is it a single all-in-one style cartridge? Or is everything separate?
 

Jayd976

Well Known
Member
Messages
890
Reaction score
582
Location
Long Island, NY
Experience
More than 10 years
Caleb Smith said:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but most, if not all, plecos get far too big and have too heavy of a bioload for a 30 gallon.
Most yes, all no. A clown pleco for example max's out at about 3-4"
 

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,106
Reaction score
3,189
Location
Manitoba Canada
Experience
5 to 10 years
2Fishaddicts said:
Everything is separated.
Good! Then just rinse everything out and put it back. Carbon does need to be replaced monthly because it will stop absorbing stuff after that. There should be a sponge of some kind, that can just be rinced. I haven’t replaced the sponges in any of my filters in probably 3 months. They’re still solid and doing their job. Do you know what kind of bio media you have? Sponges are mechanical, and carbon is debatable in it’s uses outside if removing medication. What else is in there? Gravel or bio rings?
 

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
244
Guests online
3,314
Total visitors
3,558

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom