Help Please! Ammonia level 4.0

rharvey

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Having trouble with my ammonia level that is out the roof! Tested again this morning and it is still 4.0, nitrate 0, Nitrite 1, ph 7.2, chlorine 0. I have been doing water changes, gravel vacs, even reduced feedings to extremely small amounts once a day and sometimes every other day. I use water conditioners when I make water changes and I have used ammolock (which I now think is total garbage). I have a model 20 top fin filter that came with the tank.
I am going today to pick up Prime or amquel + from Petsmart. Is there anything else I need to get that will help this problem. What else can I do??
I have been very fortunate and have not lost any fish. However my barbs are now picking on my RTS and doing some damage to his fins. I thought it might be fin rot but all of my barbs look great and my husband caught them being less than friendly yesterday to the RTS. Plans to move the RTS out of this tank soon do to his less than polite neighbors.

A Sneaky Fatman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You should continue doing the water changes, (probably daily at this point) with the prime or amquel. I'm not sure what filter you are using bu tif you happen to have an aquaclear you can buy an ammonia chemical stage for it instead of the standard carbon worked great on my tank. You should also check and see if your tap water contains ammoina! Best of luck!

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ammo lock will still show ammonia as present in water, it just converts ammonia to a non toxic form for 48 hours, amquel + will give you the same results, but it is more highly recommended than ammolock, and prime is considered better than both of those. IMO tiger barbs deserve a species only tank, if not, they need to be in with fish much larger than them that way they will not pick on the other fish as much. In fact it may be a good idea to return all of your fish while your tank is cycling. Best of luck with your tank and welcome to fishlore!

Morgan111

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
how old is your tank? I dont like ammo lock or any chemical that alters the waters properties chemically. it sounds as though your tank might still be cycling or it may be in a mini cycle from the water changes etc.

Morgan111

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ammo lock will still show ammonia as present in water, it just converts ammonia to a non toxic form for 48 hours, amquel + will give you the same results, but it is more highly recommended than ammolock, and prime is considered better than both of those. IMO tiger barbs deserve a species only tank, if not, they need to be in with fish much larger than them that way they will not pick on the other fish as much. In fact it may be a good idea to return all of your fish while your tank is cycling. Best of luck with your tank and welcome to fishlore!
very true

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You should continue doing the water changes, (probably daily at this point) with the prime or amquel. I'm not sure what filter you are using bu tif you happen to have an aquaclear you can buy an ammonia chemical stage for it instead of the standard carbon worked great on my tank. You should also check and see if your tap water contains ammoina! Best of luck!
The only problem with using chemical filtration to remove ammonia is that it will completely remove the ammonia from the water and make it unavailable to the beneficial bacteria, your ammonia levels will drop, but that doesnt mean your tank is getting cycled. Doing daily water changes with amquel + or prime would be your best bet when dealing with ammonia, the ammonia is made non toxic but is still available to the bacteria.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
...my barbs are now picking on my RTS and doing some damage to his fins.
Tiger barbs are extremely nasty and really do best in an only species tank. Perhaps you could return the shark and just keep tigers, in which case you'll need more of them to ease their aggression towards each other.

Not sure if this is your first tank ever, but having had tiger barbs, I can honestly say I don't think they are a good choice for the beginner.

rharvey

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I tested my tap water and its fine. Will continue daily water changes and try prime or amquel + today. Thanks for all your advice!!
I really like the barbs and will be making this a species only tank.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
welcome to fishlore!!!
you can continue to use your ammolock so you dont waste it ..it does faboo for ammonia but once you get a nitrite reading (which will come eventually) switch over to your prime or amquel+ as ammolock does nothing for nitrites ....goodluck

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom