Help Please! 6 yr old oscar ich & fungus 55 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by oscarluvr74, Apr 10, 2010.

1. oscarluvr74New MemberMember

:;f:;saber

2. OP
    OP
    o

oscarluvr74New MemberMember

6 yr old oscar with ich & fungus

We inherited a 6 yr oscar about three weeks ago. He has since then developed ich we we are treating him for with Mardel and now we are giving him Maracyn plus for the fungus. He just lays at the bottom of the tank on his side sometimes and I'm getting pretty desperate for another solution. Does anyone have any suggestions please? It has been 5 days for the ich teatment and three for fungus.

3. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

Welcome to FishLore!!

Not much of a post to go on there.

How is it your Oscar is 6 years old, but the tank is only 3 1/2 weeks old?

When fish get sick, the forst thing to check are the water conditions.
    What are the readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

Can you post a picture?

Edit: Your two threads have been merged.
    Thanks for clarifying some questions.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  4. OP
    OP
    o

6 yr old oscar has ich & fungus

Sister in law had the Oscar for six years and decided to get rid of him when she remodeled her house. Unfortunately he went through two moves and some abuse from other fish before we found out and asked if we could have him. There was no time to give the tanks water any cycling because he came with the empty tank and was transfered in a a plastic tote. We did the best we could to hurry up and set everything up for him and get him in the water. He seemed fine untill the second week when we noticed the ich. After we started treating for ich is when we noticed the fungus(white/gray matter on his body). We then started treating him for that also. The pictures don't really show everything that well. Sorry it took so long to reply, I'm new @ this.

Attached Files:

5. Lucy

Poor little (big) guy. He's a beauty.

No problem about the delay in your reply.
    Rather than starting a new thread, just stick to this one for your oscar.
    That way member can help better.

Have you checked the water? When was the last time you changed the water?
    I suspect, since you didn't have time to cycle the tank ammonia might be an issue.

6. OP
    OP
    o

Sister in law had the Oscar for six years and decided to get rid of him when she remodeled her house. Unfortunately he went through two moves and some abuse from other fish before we found out and asked if we could have him. There was no time to give the tanks water any cycling because he came with the empty tank and was transfered in a a plastic tote. We did the best we could to hurry up and set everything up for him and get him in the water. He seemed fine untill the second week when we noticed the ich. After we started treating for ich is when we noticed the fungus(white/gray matter on his body). We then started treating him for that also. The pictures don't really show everything that well. Sorry it took so long to reply, I'm new @ this.

7. OP
    OP
    o

I don't know if the pics came through or not, Please reply, thanks.

8. jetajockey

jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

start with a water change asap! The water in an uncycled tank becomes toxic very quickly and requires frequent water changes as well as a water conditioner like prime or amquel+ to detoxify the ammonia. I suggest getting a liquid test kit like the API master freshwater kit also to keep an eye on your water parameters.

9. Lucy

They came through fine.
    Don't worry, you'll get the hang of posting in the forum. :)
    To help navigate back to your thread, click My Threads or My Posts on the blue bar at the top.

To reply in this thread, just type in the empty box below the last post. :)

10. Furallicah

FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

Lol....I was going to post in this thread and got confused when the post didnt post and I was redirected to idk where. Anywho...o_O Are you treating the Oscar with both medications at the same time? Jetajockey suggest great infomation. I would get one of the ammonia detoxers and do a water change. I suspect that with the huge amount of stress thrown on top of him is the blam for his sickness one after another. When a fish is stressed their immune system will begin to weaken and they'll get sick.

11. potatosValued MemberMember

i agree with jetajocky. You defiantly need to do large water changes with water treated with amquel+ or some other dechlorinater. the water conditions are the likely culprit, and an api mater freshwater it is much more accurate then test strips.

12. Shawnie

ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

welcome to fishlore!!
    Your oscar is beautiful and im sorry hes not feeling well :(

I would find some prime or amquel+ and start doing daily 50% water changes with one of those....they will keep him safe from the poison of ammonia/nitrites until the tank cycles....as well, id stop using the meds and just turn up his temp to 84-85f and add extra air stones for more oxygen..keep the temps consistent for 2 weeks ...even the water going back in the tank, needs to be the 84-85f......hes not bad enough for meds and I think the moving, uncycled tank are bothering him more than the illness's...get some new carbon/filter floss to get the meds out of his water....he needs that ammonia/nitrites to be detoxed for him which is what the amquel+ or prime will do...but you have to stick with daily water changes for a few weeks......do 2 gravel vacs a week for 2 weeks to get the ich spores out ....

good luck with him!!!!!!

13. OP
    OP
    o

Oscar trouble

We are starting a water change right now. How much should we change and should we redistribute the amout of medicine equal to the water part that we take out?

14. Lucy

:animal0068: Threads merged

Instead of clicking New Thread, just start typing in the box below the last post, then click submit reply.

15. Furallicah

I would just go with what Shawnie said. Raise the tank tempature, and keep the water clean dont readd medications as of now. See how he does with that. If the fungus is still present then you can treat for that but not for the ICH the high tempatures will take care of that along with gravel vacuming. And do not combine medications, they could react in a violent way and kill the Oscar.

16. jetajockey

jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

like shawnie previously stated, 50% water change, make sure you get the water temp of the new water equal to whats in the tank, skip the meds, and don't forget to use a water conditioner, prime or amquel+ is best :)

I personally would do a 50% water change every day till the ammonia/nitrite levels drop to 0, its alot of work but it's one of the best things to do.

17. OP
    OP
    o

Thanks so much for all of your advice! We did the water change and I vacumed the gravel. We'll hold off on more meds and just monitor him for a while. Thanks again!

18. Furallicah

Your Welcome, and welcome to the Site!

19. Shawnie

ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

getting either the prime or amquel+ is a must to help him with the tank cycling....as well as it will make him feel much better....also, soaking all his food in some fresh garlic juice, will entice his eating and help his immune system ....good luck with him :) he really is a nice looking fish!

20. OP
    OP
    o

Oscar not doing well!

:( I don't know if he's going to make it. He's covered in a whie/grey film and is at the bottom of the tank. Any last minute recomendations? Thanks again, Oscarluvr1974

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice