Help! Platy tank...

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Forums' started by totes, Dec 11, 2012.

1. totesValued MemberMember

I have an exciting discovery: a baby snail in my tank!!!! I had a mystery snail for a bit...and she all of a sudden died. Actually, I kind of thought it was a he. Anyway, my snail did not have a companion, nor was there an egg clutch, but now I have a baby snail in my tank! From what little I can see of it, it looks kind of mystery-ish. (Yay, because I looooved my snail!!!)

Big question: Will my platy eat my baby? I only have a platy in the tank. Gravel substrate, a marimo ball, moneywort, 1 java fern, 1 anachris, and a bubbler; I took out the other decorations for a good cleaning and haven't returned them to the tank as of yet.

Thank you!!!!

2. tunastrack

tunastrackWell Known MemberMember

I doubt it is a mystery snail. It is impossible for them to be born with out an egg clutch. Are you sure it was a Mystery? There are other species of snail who are live beares who look kinda like a Mystery. Could you post a picture?

3. OP
    OP
    t

totesValued MemberMember

Tuna- you're right...I guess at the late hour after a long day, I got so excited to see snails I assumed...I'm thinking from what else I've seen that they look like tiny pond snails (and that would make more sense) so....now...
    would a goldfish enjoy snacking on pond snails or is that impossible?

4. aylad

ayladWell Known MemberMember

I'm sure your platy won't mess with your snail. Mine have never shown much interest in snails of any size.

5. fishynoob

fishynoobWell Known MemberMember

Mine have eaten a snail. But only once and there are a lot of them in there now. It happened when I first got the snails but they haven't shown any interest since, but mine are not pond snails they are ramshorns.

I think it was a one off the snail may have provided the fish with an opportunity they couldn't refuse. I have seen one snail get stuck on its back waving itself at the fish lol

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice