Help! Platy Gang is Bullying

LunareSonata

within my 20 gallon long tank I have used up 13 in of fish space out of 20 (I’ve got a 2 inch pleco and two 1.5 inch corys) but the big problem is my platies. They have something like a gang or a mafia going on and two bullies head the whole thing: they bully each other and every other fish in the tank. The mafia lackeys (when not bullied themselves) all gang up on the only yellow fish in the tank, I named him omega. Originally one of the two gang leaders was bullied by a red platy when young and now he leads the bullying since the red one died. Poor omega is hated and I tried giving him a white and orange friend but that platy joined the mostly blue gang of platies. I’ve tried changing the decor too (I have many hiding spots in my tank that aren’t open and some blind spots) and adding two guppies but that didn’t help distract the gang from bullying omega as much as they do. I’m at a loss of what to do. The picture below is what my tank looks like (in that particular photo it was very cloudy it’s much clearer normally)

Attachments

• 0AEEBC79-0FB9-47D7-9FDE-39EDFDC6591E.jpeg
    0AEEBC79-0FB9-47D7-9FDE-39EDFDC6591E.jpeg
    139 KB · Views: 18

KingOscar

Bullying is very stressful on fish. You may want to consider separating and or rehoming some of them. Left as is, more fish will die.

BradleyH2O

It’s like Gangs of New York! Wonder what your Male:Female ratio is?

LunareSonata

Bullying is very stressful on fish. You may want to consider separating and or rehoming some of them. Left as is, more fish will die.
Yeah I know, I’ve tried quarantining one of the two gang leaders (the one that was previously bullied themselves) and it just caused more chaos when it was put back in because it was stressed. I’d have to remove at least two fish to resolve this problem I feel
It’s like Gangs of New York! Wonder what your Male:Female ratio is?
I made my tank simple and every single livebearer is male. I didn’t want to deal with females in the tank so I could avoid territorial dominance in them :/

LunareSonata

Okay I have the bullying temporarily solved so far! I added three large platies (two have the same exact color as omega) and it seems like the gang has backed off so far! I’ll update as we go

coldpines

Just wanted to mention that the inch per gallon rule is not really an accurate measure of good stocking. Also, corys need to be in schools of 6 or more.

I hope the bullying gets resolved, I've had many issues with livebearers being jerks to everyone in the tank.

LunareSonata

Just wanted to mention that the inch per gallon rule is not really an accurate measure of good stocking. Also, corys need to be in schools of 6 or more.

I hope the bullying gets resolved, I've had many issues with livebearers being jerks to everyone in the tank
May I ask what is a good stocking measure then? And what happens if corys are in smaller packs of 6? I’ve always had small packs of two-three and they seem to swim around just fine

kansas

A lot of people use this for stocking levels:

aqadvisor.com

It doesn't tell you if the fish will get along, but will tell you your tanks carrying capacity.

LunareSonata

Thank you very much!

KingOscar

May I ask what is a good stocking measure then? And what happens if corys are in smaller packs of 6? I’ve always had small packs of two-three and they seem to swim around just fine
They may be stressed, causing them to be timid and hide. I've had small numbers in quarantine tanks and they seemed fine. It probably depends on many factors, including breed, tank mates, tank size and set up, and individual fish personalities. So yes, more is better but less is not always bad. Even my present group of 6 has a loner or sometimes 2 that like to hang out by themselves.

jinjerJOSH22

May I ask what is a good stocking measure then?
It's more about experience, you'll learn over the years what will and what won't work in the long run. The forum is a good place to ask people who have been keeping fish for many years. Not everything they say is a definite but it's a good place to base your ideas.
And what happens if corys are in smaller packs of 6? I’ve always had small packs of two-three and they seem to swim around just fine
Keep in mind Corydoras in the wild come from schools of several hundred to thousands, it's all about social interactions.
In the future I would try and keep a group of 10 plus and then see if you still feel the same way.

How many Platies do you have now? It could be there was too few in the social group. This is often a issue with a variety of species.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Das Junge
  • Acefully
  • Platy
Replies
Views
e_watson09
Replies
Views
PlatyBoi